PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass Diamond Plate

Stan
01-27-2002, 10:15 AM
Where can I get Fiberglass diamond Plate ? Hopefully on the West coast.

Thanks,

Stan

oldLenny
01-27-2002, 10:49 AM
Formica (a laminate brand) makes it in a laminate in their "Metalcraft" collection. Simply cut to size with a router or laminate trimmer and take an impression off.

Donzigo
01-28-2002, 08:48 AM
wink.gif Len,

Is that FORMICA brand diamondplate grey or white? Does just any FORMICA dealer handle this collection? I'll get the yellow pages out, but I just thought you might know off hand.

Thanks,

Richard

HP 600SC
01-28-2002, 09:42 AM
Richard, or anyone for that matter, I have some that I made at the factory in red. I will make you a great deal on it if you can use it. I live 10 minutes from you (Richard).

Ted M.

oldLenny
01-28-2002, 10:43 AM
Donzigo, it is a brushed stainless/metal (real) finish on a phenolic backer. I do believe it can be postformed (at a countertop shop), that is heated on a radial core and bent in a brake, to at least form a bottom and two opposing sides. (Don't take it to any angle approaching 90 degrees though in a mould application as it has "positive" extrusions.Then you need to go into a 2 piece and greater etc. mould) ANY FORMICA dealer (cabinet wholesaler, look under Laminate) will have samples and access to this product. They have MANY other "steel style" extrusions in this line as well. It is used for Architectural millwork primarily. It will wax nicely and allow you to pop something off of.
I just got a price for it this second. It is $306.56CAN a sheet (WHOLESALE 4' x 8')so figure about $190 US. It is stocked for the West Coast in California. Don't know where on the East Coast.

http://www.formica.com/north_america/products/decometal/metal_laminate/chip.jsp?mode=&chip=2046

http://www.formica.com/north_america/products/decometal/metal_laminate/index.jsp?mode=

If you are making patterns for something (eg. Boat) the best way is to rough oversize it and contact it to a finish sized piece of Medite or Ranger or whatever (MDF, available in thicknesses ranging from 1/8"-1 1/4" in 1/8" increments, think of your engine hatch when contemplating thickness and what the finished product should look like) and run a laminate trimmer around the perimeter with a pattern bit (1/4") or a roundover if it was to look like the engine hatch perimeter. This will make for a wonderful mock-up in which to wax the living *&$%&# out of and take an impression. Products "like" this are used all the time to texture cockpit/cabin soles and traction areas that you see on the surfaces of boats only in those applications they are cut out and are a bit (the perimeter that you see smooth) smaller than the area and shape they are following.

Hope this helps.

clayman
01-28-2002, 10:37 PM
I spent about a hour today searching the web for a premade product. The only thing I found was 1/4" thick, and in grey. I'll keep looking as I am interested in this myself for my engine compartment, Teds looks great with his red diamonds, but I think I want white, unless ted makes me change my mind with a deal I can't refuse on his left-overs????
James

HP 600SC
01-29-2002, 07:29 AM
James,
I'll make you a great deal!..give me some measurments and I'll make sure I have enough for your needs.
Ted M.

clayman
01-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Hey Ted,
I am leaving for Maui on thursday (Jennifer and I are getting hitched), but when I get back I will give you a call. I will be in Tampa for the Gasparilla Arts festival on the weekend of March 2nd-3rd, maybe I could swing by then. I have been dreaming lately about setting up an external steering system , do you still have those parts? I am planning on having some good exhibits this next month, and I'm sure I will have some cash burning holes in my pockets.

oldLenny
01-29-2002, 02:15 PM
You could also call these people. They are located in Los Angeles. They make a product called KORPLATE that is what you are describing. It comes in grey and yellow as a standard. Here are few links to them.

http://www.seasafe.com/index.htm

http://www.seasafe.com/litlib.htm

and the BEST information on it...

http://www.seasafe.com/literature/Korplate.pdf

clayman
01-29-2002, 08:48 PM
yEAH, it is time to buy the farm, as long as she doesn't make me sell the Donzi. Actually she picked out our next boat today, The 28 ZXO. she wants an open bow, a windshield, and a jon. I said keep making that money honey! there around $100 g's aren't they? Any way, the 18 ran great today, now that I have the water in the fuel problem taken care of, and I put my K&N back on, it was turning 4900-5000 @ 58-60mph. Oh it felt so good. I have already heard "that damned Donzi" a couple times from people around the lake.
Later James

HP 600SC
01-29-2002, 09:01 PM
James,
No I sold all that stuff....I did call you and left a message a couple of month's ago before I sold it all. Sorry.
Ted M.

clayman
01-29-2002, 11:01 PM
You snooze you lose, Thanks anyway.
James

clayman
01-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Hey Ted, Hold me that left over diamond plate. I will pick it up when I am over in your area in February. Jennifer and I are leaving in the morning for Hawawii. I call you when I get back into town to firm up the details.
James

HP 600SC
01-30-2002, 06:54 PM
James, Richard (DonziGo) replied last night and
and said he wanted it.....is that for sure DonziGo?