PDA

View Full Version : Arneson's Pro's & Con's ???

GEOO
05-02-2002, 09:22 PM
BOY..... I hope everyone enjoys The Arneson Drive as much as I do.. The drive is real fast in it's normal state, if you have the bow lift. (ie. proper CG and or rocker). I needed to create bow lift with an added fin, which creates alot of drag. The fin gives bow lift, less hull drag, more drive drag. The fin pulls the transom down into the water and gives stability. The faster you go the more drag from the fin and the more power you need. Without proper bow lift you'll end up with bow steer, not a good thing, Trust Me... GEOO

Jamesbon
05-02-2002, 10:52 PM
They look cool too :)

Do you think the weight of my iron headed 502, extension box and drive way out there plus a very slight rocker will be okay in my GT?

How would too much stern weight effect things?

Show us more pics GEOO.

bverd
05-02-2002, 11:01 PM
Geoo... sounds to me like you have been out again. Come on what mph are you up to now. Did you break the century mark? --Brad

CDMA
05-03-2002, 12:08 AM
My favorite topic!!!

Nate in regards to your questions I think both me and you are going to be in very good positions in terms of bow lift with out Classics. First of all I have never experienced anything like GEOO's boat and I would trade my 22 for it any day of the week. There is something awesome about such a little boat in such control. This may cause some controversy but I think my boat and yours upon completion will be faster then Geoo assuming equal power. This may seem counterintuitive (sp) due to the excess weight and drag but it all comes down to bow lift. I am not knocking Geoo's boat in any way but due to its size, CG and straight bottom it has a very hard time getting enough bow lift. I did some intial calculations with my boat and the change of the CG due to the extension box and tranny is absolutely huge. That alone should make the world of difference. Between that and a little rocker ( I will have 3/8 of an inch) our boats should, I think, air out without the use of the lower trim fin George uses. While this fin gives his boat amazing control it severly cuts speed. My personal opinion is that if George's boat could create its own bow lift without the aid of the fin he runs that there would be 10 + more mph to be found...possibly at the expense of control. I am hoping that the extra length of the 22 hull and the basically 5 foot long drive apendage hanging off the rear will enable the 22 to remain in control at higher speeds without the use of the fin. Even if we assume that we will need a fin the better the CG and rocker the less of an angle the fin will have to be therefore creating less drag.

I really hope this contraption I am putting together works well. I have been trying to guess my speeds and what to expect and honestly I am at a loss. With 550 propshaft hp I have outlined my goals.

Bottom limit: 85. Ted's boat is a wonderful example of a properly dialed in boat. I sort have been using this boat as a measurement ( sorry ted). My reasoning is that if that boat runs 85 with a bravo and similar if anything less hp then I sure as hell better go that fast. Anything below 85 and I will consider the Arneson experiment a failure.

Goal: 90 Not sure if this is obtainable or just a pipe dream but I think if I can get everything optimized correctly then this is a reasonable goal.

Reach: Century mark: Where is that 7.5 psi pulley wink wink wink

Oh I can't wait....

Chris

GEOO
05-03-2002, 09:43 PM
Nathan,
Chris said it all!!! The way your 22 is set up you will have alot more bow lift!!! Too much bow lift would create porposing at slow speeds. But the drive should be able to correct that with a little negative trim.
What kind of pictures do you want to see?
I just wonder how much the fin helps the control???
I cut off the top fin. She seam to take longer to get on plan?? Not sure..
Brad,
Too windy today, 30mph with gusts of 45. Not a good day to go boating.
I have only ran the boat once with Chris. I plan on taking her out on Saturday.

Chris, Do you think I should bring my 7.5 lbs pulley to KY???
GEOO wink

Looped
05-03-2002, 10:55 PM
Is it at all possible to run a sbc nudged forward with a 72c behind it and still giving them enough room to mount an ASD6 directly on the transom without an extension box on an 18 Classic? Too tight is not an answer, dimensionally will it or not? :D

Formula Jr
05-03-2002, 11:27 PM
Standard 18. Not. This is why Donzi HAS to do a Benchseat 16, 18 and/or 22. Ya need the room to do the tranny, so you can do the Arneson.

bverd
05-04-2002, 12:42 AM
Okay... so with all that said does that mean if Geoo put an extension box w/tranny on the back of Mighty Mouse he would get more bow lift due to the change in the CG. Therefore, he could lose the fin (drag) and still have the control he has and gain 10+mph. eek!

Geoo... we still have a week before KY, I will help. Not to mention you won't need the long boat hook to catch the dock anymore. :) --Brad

GEOO
05-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Some X-18's have TRS Drives and a Merc trannie in the bilge. I think a 72c would fit, but the engine pullies would be almost touching the back of the seat and it would not help the CG issue.

MadPoodle, you have a TRS right? how much room do you have between your engine and the seat?

Brad, I don't think you could drive an 18 at high speeds with out a fin. Went for a ride today. Couldn't go WOT...I'm not sure I want too. You'll have to go for a ride and see if you think more is needed; I still can't get the grin off my face. The only problem is now my car feels slow.. GEOO

SilverBack
01-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I wish that these guys would have continued on this thread!!! It would be nice to know the progression. Do any of you know what took place with CDMA's boat. Did he ever get an Arneson on it? How did it run? It looks like GEOO added rocker and added that fin and as we all know ...it turned out pretty darn good!!!:wink:

Some of you guys that have been around...fill in the gaps here a little.....what happened to the other guys? Did this fin end up giving him all the bow lift that he needed? He was talking like they may have had too much bow lift in the 22C.

BigGrizzly
01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Here is the deal. CDMA works for Donzi now(I think), he has not had any time to do the work. Last time I talked to him in June, he still though it was a viable idea even if Kenny is trying to prove him wrong with his 22 with one. Kenny is a great guy and really is having fun trying things himself. Some how I think Geoo and Chris have been talking to arneson. Don't know for sure, you never can tell.