PDA

View Full Version : Temporary bimini?

Sagbay32
05-02-2002, 03:00 PM
Is there such thing as a temporary bimini top besides the umbrella style? I was thinking of a way to provide shade for my kids, and thought why not get a temporary bimini? I was thinking of a 2 or 3 bow system w/ suction cup mounts, or a clamp on style that could go on the windshield frame. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I know that Marc has one mounted on his boat, but I was thinking of trying it without drilling.

Any input appreciated.

EricG
05-02-2002, 06:26 PM
I used to use this one on my Century.....
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACF206F.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

EG

Sagbay32
05-02-2002, 06:55 PM
Eric,
That was a good one, but I need something that can take a little speed without pulling an arm outa the socket :D :D

Jamesbon
05-02-2002, 10:59 PM
Hmm, I'm thinking of a few of those bendy fiberglass tent poles and some type of fabric. You may have something going then.

Extreme Measures
05-03-2002, 12:25 PM
MIKE MY WIFE AND I HAVE AN ANCHOR SHADE ON OUR 30' BLACKWIDOW .IT GOES UP FAST AND EASY.WE CANT DRIVE WITH IT UP BUT GREAT COVERAGE FOR THE KIDS.

YOUR FRIEND IN BOATING

EXTREME MEASURES

Last Tango
05-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Come to AOTH II. Last Tango will be there, bimini (Dodger) and all. Nothing wrong with drilling a couple holes in the right places if the pieces you mount there become a permanent part of the boat. I'll have the Bimini and dodger up for viewing. I can easily run at 50 mph all day (in the driving rain or glowing sun) with the Bimini and windshield up.
For those who need futher explanation, a Bimini is a canvas top only. When a plastic windshield is zipped between the front of the Bimini and the foredeck, it becomes a Dodger. A Dodger may also have side-curtains.

(When you include the rear zip-in panels and enclose the entire area it is called "hot and stuffy." If the full enclosure has zippered screens it is called a tent. :D )
Mark :cool:

Digger
05-03-2002, 01:58 PM
my favorite bimini is shown in Owen's (Formula Jr's) profile.

Dalelama
05-04-2002, 06:07 PM
ANCHOR SHADE..... ANCHOR SHADE......ANCHOR SHADE!

Drilling holes in a Donzi for a bimini top is illegal in Florida...in fact... it's a felony!

Anchor Shade fits nicely up under the bow (ski storage) goes up quickly, and can be quite effective in inclement WX, when lowered. I take off the lower pole and it covers the cabin of the Minx enough to keep out those South Florida summer squalls.

"Somewhere North....."

Sagbay32
05-04-2002, 06:41 PM
I really don't want to drill any holes in "My Baby". I am having one heck of a time cutting the dash for the cd player I just purchased. I may have to come up with something custom if nothing is available on the market.

Thanks for all the inputs

Philip47
05-08-2002, 03:13 PM
Any info on Anchor Shade would be appricated, phone#, web addy hyper link please!

Thanks, Phil

Jim
05-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Mike,
I have an older Z21 and I'm seriously considering Anchorshade. Here is their website and I know
overton carry's them. I even found one up on ebay for $195, it looks like a dealer is selling it.
Thanks Jim
Anchorshade (http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/2002catalog/catalognew_7.htm)

HELLERBOY
05-08-2002, 03:56 PM
When I got my 22 the first owner had put a bimini on it.at first I thauoght it was not cool, did not look good and always in the way of the hatch. since then it's still in the way, I still don't like how it looks on the boat but in Florida when the sun is HOT,HOT DAM HOT! that bimini is so COOL! :cool:

David Ochs
05-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Years ago I bought a bimini top from Overtons. There's no doubt that it's the wrong color and doesn't look cool, but let me tell you it is cool. It mounts to the railing via stainless mounts from West Marine. The straps also tie down to the rail via electrical clamps that have a rubber insert. Nothing scratches and it's all instantly removable. I can e-mail a pic if you like.

Sagbay32
05-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Dave,
Funny that you should mention Overton's. I just was looking at their big catalog I received in today's mail, and found a cheaper bimini that I was considering buying . I figured that I could find some temp mounts someplace.
If you would send me a pic, that would be great. I was considering the Economy White Vinyl one for $139.00. I would rather have red sunbrella.

Thanks again for the pic offer.
Mike in White Lake (MI)

Donzified
05-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Anchor Shades are COOL.