PDA

View Full Version : Transom replacement

Greg
01-26-2002, 07:17 PM
I am currently replacing the transom on my 18'. We have discussed on an earlier thread about going all the way across with the plywood, which I am doing. I am using two pieces of 3/4" thick marine plywood, this with 1/4" of glass on either side should give me the desired thickness. I am going to be using an Alpha drive. The installation manual says transom thickness of 2" min. to 2 1/8"max. This question is about the slight bow in the transom of my boat. My fiberglass man wants to fill this in till its flat on the inside and then put the plywood on top of that. I'm thinking that this will make the transom too thick for the drive to be installed properly. I want to take the grinder and shave the edges of the plywood until it fits the curve. What did you do?

Donzified
01-26-2002, 08:03 PM
A arc is stronger than a flat
When I replaced my transom the glass man shared his pain of fitting the new wood . i.e more money more time. I think he used the holes from the dive mounts to pull the sandwitch together. I increased the with by about 4to 6 inches on both sides.

Scott Pearson
01-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Greg,
Ok....Just some info. Yes you do need 2 pieces of 3/4 and one piece if 1/4 (NOT TWO of 1/4). Think about it 2 of 3/4 and 1 of a 1/4 = 1 3/4. Then take the existing glass thats in the transom that should be 1/4 and there is your 2 inches! Now figure in the glass that your laying over the inside of the transom to sucure the wood and that will be at least 1/8....your getting close. I had exactly 2 1/8 on my transom.

Above is how I did it. I sandwidched the 1/4 wood inbetween the 3/4. Also you are right about the transom having a bow. LEAVE IT THERE! Your going to have to tapper the wood to fit. Also what I did.

Give me a call and I can give you more info.
I will be home today until about 2:00. or home after 7:00 tonight.

(732) 886-5498

(NJ)Scott