PDA

View Full Version : Valve Profile ?

Sam
01-26-2002, 07:07 PM
What does it mean when someone talks about a valve profile job.

Sam

Rootsy
01-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Sam,

i would assume that is a fancy way of saying a valve job where they do multiple angle cuts on the valve as well as the seat... which is pretty common these days especially in performance applications. generally on a generic three angle valve job you have the face cut, the contact cut and a back cut... but if you really want to get nitty gritty i have seen 5 angle cuts and yes they actually do help performance but generally not unless you are turning high rpms... and just as important as the valve job is the valve itself... not all valves are created equal.. there is more to a valve than exotic materials and head diameter... you can get major power increases by changing the stem profile and the lead-in from the stem to the head, etc etc... so just because a 2 valves are the same material and diameter... the more expensive one MAY NOT be the better one always... first time i ever saw this was at eaton in their dyno lab at the proving grounds in marshall, mi. actually my best friend from college is a test engineer there. eaton btw makes valves for manley and other various companies as well as most of the major auto manufacturers as well as most other valve train components. i witnessed two RCR engines running on the dyno with nothing but two different intake valve profiles and the dyno showed a 25 horsepower difference between the two...

BigGrizzly
01-28-2002, 06:25 PM
The Profile is the shape of the tulip of the valve and whether it is swirled or not. The right shape can increase the flow and direction of the charge. There are different shapes that work in different combustion chambers. We played with these for two weeks with Chuck Pamergran at Dan Gurney's all American racing in Anaheim Ca.

Randy

Sam
01-28-2002, 07:04 PM
Thanks guy's ! I knew someone would know.

Sam