PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ignition upgrade for a Corsican?

mphatc
03-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Friends,

I am looking to install electronic ignition on my Corsican. It presently has a HM 302, and if everything goes as planned, next year a stroked 351. I desire to only purchase one ignition system and one billet distributor.

Has any one done this?

Of interest to me is the MSD Marine unit ignition, but I am unsure which distributor to use.

Looking for suggestions , preferably backed by personal experience.

TIA!
Mario L.

when will this winter end????

Rootsy
03-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Mario,

problem with your plan is that the 351W has a taller deck height therefore the distributor from the 289/302 motor will be too short. looking at the MSD marine catalog (unless i am readign this incorrectly) they don't offer a marine distributor for the Windsor, only the cleveland - modified and BB motors. On the chevrolets where you have a tall deck height motor MSD offers a distributor with an adjustable slip collar which does you little good for the ford application eh.

I am actually waiting for my MSD Marine Pro-Billet to arrive for my sbc. i don't particularly care for the marine electronics from MSD for you have to purchase everythign seperately, i prefer neat and compact. Although i know you are not supposed to technically do it i purchased the Digital 6 + ignition box which has all the bells and whistles built in that i want. plus the environment it operates in within my engine compartment is probably 1/10th as harsh as if i put it under the hood of any of my vehicles.

Another option, if you want to use MSD or Crane or Mallory (not sure about jacobs) CD electronics you can trigger the boxes with just about any distributor. The distributor does have to have an advance curve mechanism in it though. Mallory does offer marine distributors.

<small>[ March 02, 2003, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Rootsy ]</small>

MOP
03-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Has anyone ever compared the MSD and the less popular Jacobs? I had Jacobs on my 4x4 for 7 years it was great. I know from Buds the MSD is a really great also. Has anyone had actual let downs from either. No matter either one is a nice improvement.

olredalert
03-02-2003, 09:26 PM
Mario,

------Just a thought.If you are going to go to the tall deck 351 at some point,maybe just get a pertronix setup for the distributor you have(I think its available)for now.Later you can go to the "shock me "set-up with your new motor.Pertronix arent too awful much!.........ol red!.........Bill S

mphatc
03-02-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys, I was aware of the deck height difference of the 351W and was hoping someone knew of a solution like the Chevy . . .but I quess that's part of the price for playing with a Ford . .eh? So it looks like Bill's suggestion of the Pertronix is the correct way to go for this year. It's just not as exciting . . .

Mario

BUIZILLA
03-02-2003, 11:30 PM
If you can find an old style Pertronix kit they seem to start MUCH better than the newer style. They changed the pickup location farther away from the trigger wheel and it takes a couple seconds to catch on the new ones. OR, turn the key to the start position, count to 3, then it will start right away. Pertronix kit with coil is about $90.

hth, J

Rootsy
03-03-2003, 06:42 AM
I agree, the pentronix kits are a very good alternative to points without breaking the bank. i use them in all of my antique tractors... what a difference vs points...

MOP
03-03-2003, 06:19 PM
I ran a point setup years back that was just a trigger, the points lasted a few years had to adjust for wear but tips stayed very bright.

BigGrizzly
03-03-2003, 09:16 PM
I have a 351 Clevland in my Corsican. I am using a Malory Unilite on mine As for high the corsican has about 6 inches more clearence than a comventional classic. I had a friend in pensicola who did the same as you and had no problem with a Malory than used a MSD just because he had it. No speed gain whatsoever. I also have CMI sport tube hedders on mine.