PDA

View Full Version : Barn Collapse On Minx!!!!!!!

BRIAN73
03-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Hello:

I received a call today, from a friend who owns 1988 Testarossa Minx. He had stored the boat in a friend's barn for the winter. Well today he called and told me that the roof collapsed from the weight of the snow and rain.

The good new's was no visable fiberglass damage. The bad new's was a destroyed windshield. I beleive the windshield was a three piece system.

Is there anyone who would know of a good supplier, to purchase the center winshield section for a 1988 Testarossa Minx.

Thank You In Advance

Brian

DUCATIF1
03-02-2003, 08:08 PM
What is the difference between a Testarossa and regular Minx?? Is there any. Does he want to sell??

BRIAN73
03-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Thanx for the info.

I believe that the winshield is made of glass. My guess would be Taylor Made. Dalema, Stix, any ideas.

Brian

Barry Phillips
03-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Sorry to hear that. I keep my 18 in a barn at my house on the Sacandaga, and worry about the same thing. I think the windshield on the Minx was sourced in Italy, but I can't be sure. I think it was the most elegant plexi windshield Donzi ever designed, much nicer than the eyescore currently being used on the 22s.

SO-SLO

SS18
03-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Here is one for the pros but I thought the minx was 86 and 87 only never heard of testarosa model.

BRIAN73
03-04-2003, 07:01 AM
To my knowledge, this is the only Minx Testarossa editon made. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see another picture of one. There seems to be a few 22 Testarossa made in 1988, + this Minx.

I will post a picture.

Brian

Barry Phillips
03-04-2003, 09:33 AM
There is a Testarossa edition Minx in the Lake George Donzi Classics Club, is this the same boat? I have a picture of it, it has a stainless windshield. If this is the same boat the unit was likely sorced in Italy along with the 22s.

SO-SLO

BRIAN73
03-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Barry

Yes it is the same boat. My father owned the boat for a couple of years and then sold it to one of my good friends.

Have you been up to Sacandaga lately?

Brian

Barry Phillips
03-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi Brian, I haven't been up there for about a month, my niegbor's camp burned down, the idiot left a space heater running on attended.
The camp was only about 20 feet behind my barn, good thing the wind was blowing out of the southwest, all was well. I have not seen that much snow up there in 15 years. We stayed the night with a friend, my place was snowed in. Spring is coming I hope.

SO-SLO

Murphy
03-04-2003, 05:18 PM
My 86 Classic 22 has the formed plexi 3-piece windshield. I'm working with a local plastics fabricator to replace the center section right now. They have the 3/8 dark smoked plexi and can bend the wind tabs as well as polish the edges. If this is the style windshield you have, I'd be happy to provide contact information.

Murph

KMLFAMILY
03-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Is this the one ? I apoligize for the size.I am still learning pic. posting.
Ken http://www.donzi.net/photos/klessard31.jpg

Blewbyu
03-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Testarossa's were all red.

Murphy
03-04-2003, 09:56 PM
OK, that would be nothing like the mid 80's Classic 22 windshield. Looks like replacing that center section will be a job for someone with serious plastic forming capability. Don't think my guy in Illinois has an oven big enough to handle it Hope you've got good insurance.

Murph

BRIAN73
03-05-2003, 07:15 AM
KLM

Yup that's the one. Every piece of fiberglass on the boat is red. The interior is grey with red piping. Sitting next to the 22 Testarrosa, they are identical in color scheme and interior and gauges.

The bad part:
My friend doesn't have insurance for the damage.
Really Really trying to find a glass windshield expert.

Brian

Jim
03-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Murph,
Could you please provide me with the contact you have been working with on the windshield? I have a 1988 Z21 with a broken windshield and I'm having a hell of time finding someone in the northeast that has a 8' plus oven. The center section is 100" and most places only have a 8' oven, I'm told a oven is required since you need to bend the Plexiglas and tweak the angle at the same time. Here is a pic of my windshield, I did find a couple of places down south but I would rather trailer the frame versus shipping.
One company I found was info@ccmi-reedco.com, their located by the five finger lakes in NY but that’s about 5 or 6 hours away, has anyone had any experience with these guys.

Thanks Jim
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky19.jpg

Jim
03-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Murph,
Could you please provide me with the contact you have been working with on the windshield? I have a 1988 Z21 with a broken windshield and I'm having a hell of time finding someone in the northeast that has a 8' plus oven. The center section is 100" and most places only have a 8' oven, I'm told a oven is required since you need to bend the Plexiglas and tweak the angle at the same time. Here is a pic of my windshield, I did find a couple of places down south but I would rather trailer the frame versus shipping.
One company I found was info@ccmi-reedco.com, their located by the five finger lakes in NY but that’s about 5 or 6 hours away, has anyone had any experience with these guys.

Thanks Jim
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jslahtosky19.jpg

Rodger
03-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Murph,
I would also like information on your plastics fabrication contact for possible future use.
Thanks, Rodger

Barry Phillips
03-05-2003, 09:37 AM
That picture of the Minx was taken at the LGC DC's year end picnic last September. I sure that windshield was sourced in Italy if it's stainless. Dose it indicate on the ws anywhere were it was made? Don's new 22 Testarrosa has a sticker right on the left sidelight. I went to a local boat show here in NJ and got to chating with a guy who sells Malabu ski boats. Malabu is a westcoast builder and there attention to detail is impressive. The 19 footer I looked at had stainless framed windshield on it. The WS maker was called Pacific Windshields. Maybey thay have a website or contact Malabu boats at 209-383-7469. Maybey Pacific can help you with frame. The windshield on the Minx both framed and plexi where always nicely designed, really seemless.

SO-SLO

Donzi Dreaming
03-05-2003, 12:48 PM
I found a couple of places on the web, may be worth looking into...

Finneys plastic (http://www.finneys.com/)
Finneys even says they have oversized ovens!

Multifab plastics (http://www.multifab.com/boat/)

John