PDA

View Full Version : What do you get when you mix.....

Ranman
05-01-2002, 07:55 AM
a surface drive, a big jet engine, and an 18' hull?

Answer
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ROak_Jetboat1.jpg

Robert Geoghegan
05-01-2002, 08:29 AM
OK, someone has to ask; how much Horsepower, how fast and how much to insure???? :D

Ranman
05-01-2002, 08:46 AM
Don't know about the Hp or insurance, but rumor has it that the boat is "capable" of 140mph. I would name the boat "Death Wish"

GEOO
05-01-2002, 09:10 AM
I have a video of the boat running. It was for sale two years ago. Approx. 1000hp. 100-110 mph. The boat was stuck to the water threw a bow wake at 100mph. The video camera couldn't keep up with the boat when he hit the throttle. Both guys were wearing head sets to communicate over the roar of the turbine. Awesome!!!GEOO

mattyboy
05-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Hey Mr Pearson,
this is your blow dryer after you clean the boat in Geoo's rooster tail pull up behind this guy and get dried off eek!

where to you get Jet A on the water?
must melt alot of ski ropes eek!

Matt

Hotspare
05-01-2002, 09:47 AM
Hard to tell from this distance, but looks like a Licoming LTS-101 or Pratt. PT-6 Turbo shaft (free turbin) motor .... Both used extensively in the helicopeter industry, and could adapt nicely, because of there size and weight, into the marine world ..... You can sometimes find units that are timed out, and un-airworthy, but have lot's of hours left in them for this type of application, just have to keep an eye on the hot section, and compressor ..... I worked with a gentleman who Ross Perot hired to engineer,fabricate,and install a Pratt. PT6 twin pack, C-box power plant system on one his cat's... Needless to say,,,, Spared no expenceeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!! It's on the horizon ................

GEOO
05-01-2002, 09:55 AM
It's a Lycoming I forgot the # maybe a T71, T17 ??. She can run on Diesel fuel.

Hotspare
05-01-2002, 02:24 PM
GEOO,, good point,,, matter of fact,,, they are actually designed to run on several different fuels, by merely adjusting the specific gravity on the FCU on most fuel management systems ,,,, The Lycoming LTS-101 series motors were initially contracted by the military, to be installed in new age army tanks back in the early 70s, but didn't workout due to (FOD) ingestion, tanks kick up lotta dirt ...... Another little trick- turbin out there is the Allison 250-C20-B, derated to 420shp, used to power the Bell jet ranger, Jay Leno,,, has a custom bike built with one ,,,,, really compact little guy ...... It's on the horizon........... :cool: