PDA

View Full Version : Change/update 2003 22-Classic

Mark Albers
04-30-2002, 09:35 PM
Donzi Aficionados :rolleyes:

Assume you could change/update a 2003 22-Classic
What would like to see Donzi Marine do ???

I vote for a more affordable price $$$

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (the more things stay the same the more they are appreciated)

CDMA
04-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Well....

More power, Arneson ASD-6, more power, extension box, more power, Bam transmission, more power, CMI headers, more power...did I say more power :D :D :D :D

Chris

Tomahawk
04-30-2002, 09:46 PM
Provide a space to conveniently store a couple small items like car keys, gas filler key, sunglasses etc.

Bad-Tat
04-30-2002, 09:53 PM
Trim tab indicators. Move trim switches to the throttle. Grab handles for the rear seat passengers.

ToonaFish
04-30-2002, 10:05 PM
Take a cue from the windshield style of the new F2 boat... make it curvy and less angular and change the degree of the rake.

Bunches,

Celene

CDMA
04-30-2002, 10:16 PM
I would love to see a 22 hull based boat that drew styling clues from both the new 38 and the Criterion.

Chris

roadtrip se
04-30-2002, 10:33 PM
Good thread idea. Hope they read it!

Make the Livorsi Gaffrig One guages an option over the Gaffrig Twos. Pick of bezel colors.

Mechanical tab trim indicators mounted right of the steering wheel.

K-planes standard on the 22.

Fiberglass the deck and hull together like every other boat in this price range.

Paint or gel the black striping onto the hull and decking.

Maybe some checker fades or other creative, tasteful color schemes.

Grab handles in the back.

Power options up to the 500HP at a fair price.

Do these things, at a fair price, and I have a 2001 22 Classic for sale.

Todd

boldts
05-01-2002, 08:30 AM
I'm new to the 22 Classic so I may not have much ground to stand on here, but I'd like to see the following.

1) Grab handles each side for the rear bench.
2) F16 canopies following the new 38ZR design.
3) Use the Z series air slot for the bottom so that a 496HO in stock form will give that upper 70's low 80's speed with-out the super expensive engine.
4) Yes, price it a bit more than the standard Classic since at those speeds it should have hydraulic steering and k-planes with manual indicators, but don't look to make a fortune off every boat either. Otherwise, for most, the boat will just be a dream that will never be realised and they'll continue to use their own brains to make the standard Classic reach balistic speeds. :D

Crazy Horse
05-01-2002, 03:54 PM
1. Grab rails in the back
2. More horsepower options
3. Painted on stripes
4. Trim indicaters
5. Better sound system (include sub woofer with amp).
6. Dual batteries (standard)
7. Full mooring cover (standard)

Rick
05-01-2002, 04:11 PM
Maybe they should have a step hull, or maybe a step hull or maybe a ..... well you get the picture. Rick... or bring back the twin option! :D

Jamesbon
05-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Put canopies on the new 22 Classic and I'll guarantee to NEVER buy one. :o

KMLFAMILY
05-01-2002, 06:41 PM
It"s a CLASSIC. Yes CLASSIC ! No curved windshield, no stepped hull. Minor addition"s yes. How does the saying go ? "It"s like a beautiful women in a small black skirt.They never go out of style ".Create a ZR 22 maybe for major changes. But my little opinion say"s keep that classic shape and styling original.

Magic Float
05-01-2002, 07:29 PM
What to change on the 22 Classic? Nothing! That is why it is a Classic. Same goes for the 16 and 18. The reason they are still here after 35 years is because it was right to start with.There are lots of boats out there with new designs and lots of options if that's what you want.Don't mess with the Classics,it is not necessary.

Donzified
05-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Sturdy stainless steal windshield,something you could sit on,step on and shine on.

JP BRESCIA
05-01-2002, 08:39 PM
I disagree with making any major styling changes. Some minor technical improvements would always be welcome in my book. Make it better but keep it the same. Huh. I sound like my wife.

A strong argument for keeping it the same is the 2003 Chris Craft Heritage series. They are making a 22, 24 and 27 if I'm not mistaken. Going back to their roots!!! And I bet they sell every single one at top dollar. Hey. Most corporations are having a very difficult time raising profit margins b/c of the incredible pricing pressure from strong competition. Donzi Marine can maintain the margin because the boats will sell anyway. Good business for them. It will keep them around during the lean years.

The high price keeps them limited. Good for the used market. :D

Looped
05-01-2002, 09:32 PM
Lets see :rolleyes:

- Trim indicators
- Stronger seat bases to cut down on the wobble
- Top mounted controls w/armrest ledge built-in (the throttle now is very cheesy and not smooth)
- Trim levers placed in a better spot (dual steering wheel levers?)
- IMCO shorty lower units as a factory option
- In-hull docking lights as a factory option
- Stainless steel handle that wraps around the bottom inside (for the right hand to hold on to) of the shotgun seat so that the passenger has something to hold on to instead of the bottom of the seat (it’s hard to explain but I know it would work)
- Maybe make some better use out of the ski rack area in the front that most people don’t use and crap seems to just slide down out of?

Just minor things but keep the overall look absolutely the same :D

Craig

ToonaFish
05-01-2002, 09:44 PM
Great idea, Craig, on the seat mounted grab rail!!! I've got a bruise on my right leg from gripping the underside of the front seat in Bad Tat. That would have been perfect!

And on the curvy windshield, it's an old look that could be revisited. If you really wanted to be a purist, there wouldn't be an 18 or a 22! eek!

Bunches,

Celene 'no curtains, please'

Jamesbon
05-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Oh yeah, offer v-drives with bad a$s hardware.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/nscwalo.jpg

Forrest
05-03-2002, 11:09 AM
I'll never buy a new Classic Donzi as long as they are ridiculously priced like they are now, especially when you can pick up a good used one for literally pennies on the dollar. So I vote for lower price, but I'm sure that won't happen since they seem to sell all that are built using the present pricing schedule.

I know! If Donzi is going to continue to charge top dollar for the 22 classic, how about using custom made hardware like they did back in the 1960s and '70s rather than the cheap off-the-shelf Perko stuff like they do now?

boldts
05-03-2002, 11:42 AM
Nate,

Thanks for another screen saver picture. Man I like WA - LO. What a beautiful Donzi!

Hotspare
05-03-2002, 12:28 PM
The classic's became different by remaining the same, so wouldnt dick with external appearance much ..... Updates in hull materal,, hardware,,, pwr/drive combo's ,,,,,, (cool) :cool: ,, However,,, Having said that,,, I always thought a composite windscreen would look killer ......... Sun Glasses,,,,, Because the sun never set's on the coolllllllllll..... :cool:

Last Tango
05-03-2002, 02:12 PM
It just kills me (laughing at...) the folks who are worried about changing this and that on their boats. It is a Donzi. They update stuff as they go along. Always have, always will. No particular boat is exactly the same. Originality is limited to each hull number. The differences between a 30 year old Classic and a current edition Classic of same length, are huge. Look into our archives and tell me which two boats we own are absolutely identical and totally original. You can't. If you want grab handles on your boat, pick something that looks and works the way you want it, then put it on! Donzi's are the hot rods of the water. No two Hot Rodders worry about being exactly the same. In fact they pride themselves at how they have modified the cars and improved them with pieces and parts from other places. Have fun with your boat. Change whatever you like. Make it better and more fun and more reliable and more efficient and more comfortable. It is OKAY! It is YOUR DAMN DONZI! - Do what makes YOU, the current owner and payer of the bills, happy. Stop crying about what Donzi should do. Do it yourselves if you want something else. Chances are, if you think about the project long enough and execute it cleanly, everyone else will like it, too. And if they don't, so what! It YOUR Donzi. Case in point: a certain stunning orange metallic Donzi we all know and love...original?...I think not...beautiful...without question. I made it into the 2002 Donzi catalog! THEY liked it.
I think the same about my Porsches. Criminy! I worked and paid for the darned things, why am I saving it for SOME ONE ELSE? USE THEM, CHANGE THEM, have fun. That's what it is for. Nobody is going to buy your boat to put in a museum unless the Donzi factory is looking around for hull #1. Originality is fine, too. I like original things. But if I think I have an idea that would make it better, I MAKE it so.
This board consists of boaters who are Hot Rodders at heart, and chose to do it in the water. I always like cool original details, but we seem to gather the most around the boats that have been modified. Room for both groups, here. But let us not remember why we became Donzi owners, rather than Bayliner owners. How boring if the only way to improve your boat is you have to buy a new one each time...sort of like Chevy's and Fords these days.
"Of course, that's just MY opinion. I could be wrong..."
Mark :cool:

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
05-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Amen, Tango! That's been my philosophy. And it applies to cars (unless it's a lease, of course), boats, guitars, bikes, my house, everything. Without us tinkerers, there would be no progress! :D

Last Tango
05-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Sorry,
No flames intended. It sounds that way, though. I found two typographical errors in my paragraph that have significant contextual impact, and need to be rectified.
1) The last line a couple paragraphs above dealing with the orange metallic Donzi. "I" should be "IT" made it into the 2002 Donzi catalog. Although I, too, have my picture in the catalog, it has nothing to do with this thread or response, and I have nothing to personally brag about in this regard. The orange Donzi easily has earned its place in the catalog.
2)The last paragraph contains "Let us not remember why we became Donzi owners..." I wanted to write "let us not forget" and crossed thought paths with "let us remember."

I have added several grab handles, Bimini/Dodger, a phoney gimmic "PANIC" button in front of the front passenger, graphics, a fire extingusher, engine vents, a different steering wheel, red trim rings on the instruments (red was standard on my 2000 C16, but not on a similarly red-hulled 2001 18 - factory choice - I "rectified" that), polished EMI Thunder exhaust system, etc., all after a very expensive original purchase of the 2001 Classic 18. My choices. My money. My boat. I get lots of good comments on all the above. Alas, my Donzi is no longer original. Thank goodness, too, because the Mirage Plus 25P prop that came from the factory was way too much even for the MX6.2MPI motor to swing anywhere close to it's rated RPM or speed. I moved to a Mirage Plus 23P. Muuuuuch better. Still playing with the prop thing though. A Bravo 1 24P 4-bladded screw was also too much blade. I'm trying a Bravo 1 22P 4-blade at AOTH, but I will bring my Mirage 23P 3-blade, just in case the 22 doesn't work well either.
Having fun...
Mark :cool:

blackhawk
05-04-2002, 04:50 PM
1)K-planes
2)External steering
3)Top mounted throttle w/k-plane controls
4)Mechanical indicators for planes and drive
5)Grab handles for rear passengers
6)Better(stronger)snaps for rear seats
7)Better soundsystem options

But, I do agree with Last Tango. What we do to our boat makes it ours. But some things should be standard just for safety.

My boat did come with K-planes, but I replaced the stock short bottoms(150's?) with 280's. I have also added number 4,5 and 7 and plan to add external steering very soon. I also mounted some controls for the K-planes on the throttle handle. It is basically a "home-made" project but it looks and works great. I no longer need 3 hands to drive the boat! I have also done some other little things to make the boat "mine". The biggest was getting a new windshield made and painted to match my boat. People either love it or hate it. But I think it looks sweet and that's all that counts! :)

Jamesbon
05-04-2002, 09:35 PM
Right on Boldts! Glad to make you smile!!

WA-LO has an aura above all else... :D

HP 600SC
05-04-2002, 09:47 PM
Mark, the 4 blade bravo stinks on the 18.....
too much bow lift, too big diameter, too much steering torque.....and the list goes on.
Be interisted in how you think it works.

Tomahawk
05-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Mark - I agree with Ted. My experience has been that big diameter, 4-blade props(Bravo's in particular) don't mix well with small boats like ours. Caused some weird gyrations (of the boat) on my 22. Try it and see. If it works, great. If not, I have one for you to try at AOTH. Three blade, small diameter, higher pitch. Works for me.
Getting loaded up for AOTH now anxious to ROLL! :cool:

Dr. Dan
05-06-2002, 06:14 AM
Tango, Good Points! wink You know,Scott V. does have an edit key on this thing? :D This is a great discussion thread though? And I think it shows the level of creativity that we all have in "Dreaming of our Perfect Boat/Donzi" The Artists of the Group and truly super talented people of this registry, give us all hope that there are no limits to our "Collective or Individual Imaginations" :p Be they mechanical marvels in performance,GEOO & soon to be CDMA and Teds Hot 22 and many others, or Museum peices that make us all drool :D and proud to be Donzi owners, Pearson,Wa-Lo & others...their are others that also offer the greatest and truly coolest add on part of all! Knowledge,experience and History, Brownie, Poodle, Formula Jr., and so many here who worship the "Panache of Donzi" and performance boating and the classic speed equation :D It's all Good, keep the Classics just that, Classics! If you want curves and retro, move into a ZX, beautiful boats and they already exist!!! Bryan and Frank are happy campers!!! I agree with alot of the suggestions, but none that modify the "Classic Silhouette we've all come to love"! :cool: ...Doc