PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Cooling lessons....Geoo/ Grizz???

CDMA
04-30-2002, 08:46 PM
I am in the process of riggging my 18 for the new 383 and I am installing the FW cooling that Geoo gave me from his x-18. I want to mount it low and off the engine for cosmetic reasons. When George used it he had it mounted high on the front of the engine therefore a resivoir/overflow bottle was not needed. I have a couple questions. First where do I get an overflow bottle and how does it get plumbed in. Secondly there is an in and out for the Seawater; straight forward. However there are two in's ( one big and one small) and two exits ( one big and one small) for the closed cooling side. What is the point of the smaller closed cooling openings? Any other words of wisdon. Thanks guys.

Chris

GEOO
05-01-2002, 07:14 AM
Chris, The two small outputs are for raw water to go to the exhaust, port & starb. GEOO

CDMA
05-01-2002, 07:27 AM
Nah those I got covered. It is in the closed circuit that there are two extra holes. One is on that neck that has the thermostat in it another is on the inlet back to the cooler. I will take pictures tomorrow.

Chris

GEOO
05-01-2002, 07:48 AM
Are they connected together with a hose? If so, that is the bypass hose. When the thermostate is closed a small amount of coolant is rerouted to keep some circulation through the engine.
Moroso Marine Makes a remote expansion tank. I tried to look on their web site but it is not working. I'm going to Blue Lightning this afternoon, I'll check for those mounts. GEOO

MR.MAGIC
05-02-2002, 05:31 AM
if you need a bottle let me know i have a case of them. 15.00 + shipping
i can email photo

GEOO
05-02-2002, 05:47 PM
Chris,
Here is a link to Moroso's Expansion tank. http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=29299
Also a link to Howard Stewart's Site for plumbing the tank in to your system.

" For cooling systems NOT using a cross flow radiator, mounted higher than the engine, you must use a surge tank. A surge tank is typically a 1 quart tank mounted at the highest point of the system, with the radiator cap on top. The bottom of the tank is connected to the inlet side of the water pump with a 1/2" or 3/4" line. A 1/4" to 3/8" "bleed" line from the side of the surge tank is connected to the highest point of the low pressure side of the radiator. The bleed line allows some circulation through the tank while the engine is running. The surge tank is also large enough to allow the air to separate as the coolant flows through it. Air in the system will then migrate to the area just below the radiator cap, again so that it will forced out first if system pressure exceeds the radiator cap's rating."

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/techtip2.htm

GEOO