PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price ???

Gary S.
01-26-2002, 08:08 AM
Does 5500.00 sound like a fair price for a complete hull recon ?? Thats pulling the deck, a new transom, all scratches repaired, bottom paint removed, new fuel cell, and completly gel-coated. With a full warranty on all work. I have limited knowlage on glass work and this is the only shop that I found to re-gel an entire hull so it's been difficult at best to get any comparison.

Sam
01-26-2002, 08:36 AM
In my opinion yes, that's a very fair price. I have had insurance repairs done in the past and I can tell you that they aren't cheap. But the question is what are you really buying. I'm sure you have thought of this but I would want to see some of his work as well as talk to a past customer. If he is not willing to do this that should be a red flag for you. Try contacting your insurance company to see if they have a list of approved shops for comparison. If it were me I would want no less than three quotes with refferences.

Good Luck
Sam

Robert Geoghegan
01-26-2002, 09:34 AM
Gary,

Hope this helps, I'm restoring a 28' Magnum. I just hired a professional to Re-gelcoat the sides and replace the transom. This price was $1,900.00

I "prepped" the hull myself and gutted the transom. If I had to pay him to do this, it would have cost "at least $1,000.00 more". My fiberglass guy explained that he prefers to do "glass work only". Customers can save alot if he can come in and everything is "prepped" and waiting to go.
The biggest problem I've found is finding a "reliable" glass man. I've picked up business cards at Boat US, West Marine, etc, called for estimates, and never get a return call. I've called at least 5 with no response. Even if you feel the price might be high, it may be better to pay it, then be jerked around by someone who will "promise" to get to it.If you can get 3 estimates you will be lucky. I live along the Jersey Shore with thousands of boats, and you would think you could find a couple of reputable fiberglass repairmen.
Good luck with the restoration! Check out my restoration on "Other Performance Boats"
BOB

alljet
01-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Gary,

Robert is right on. Talented, reliable glass guys are a rare breed. I have a wonderful glass facility - overhead hoists, ventilation system, floor cut-outs for sailboat keels, etc. The problem is finding someone to work it. My last guy spent more time in jail than out, and now he's gone for good. But boy, was he talented! I finally gave up and closed the glass repair part of my business. Now I do the small jobs, even though I hate glass work, and use the glass facility for storage. If I have something major, I have to haul the boat 50 miles each way, wait forever, and pay through the nose, If you can find a talented, reliable glass guy, pay the price and consider yourself lucky.

Jim

Gary S.
01-26-2002, 12:01 PM
I forgot to add that thats not any work on the deck other than removing and installing, I'm doing the finnish work on it myself. Yes it is a good shop, everyone I know thats into marine repair told me to see them. The finished products of theirs I have seen are better than factory new.

HP 600SC
01-26-2002, 01:49 PM
$5500.00 sounds like a very fair price to me,
if the work is good quality.
It can add up fast....I know, and ask jamesbon
as he is doing the exact same thing now!

Donzigo
01-27-2002, 09:24 AM
the price sounds very fair. Last year, when I found a water damaged transom in my Z-25, it lead to complete stringers and transom rebuild, price: $4180. then a little later, spongy floorboard lead to rebuild of floor, stringers, gusetts, from where the engine room work stopped to the front. Price: $7700. Which means that I have a new/1987 boat completely re-built from transom to front. total price: $11,880. My glass guy is the best around. He's a craftsman, to be sure. Takes his sweet time and waves off any suggestion by me as to how to proceed. those kind of gys are hard to find.

richard