PDA

View Full Version : Up grade up date/oil choice ?

Sam
01-25-2002, 08:07 PM
Well the motor is appart and everything looks good indise. Re-assembly will start in a week or so once all the parts arrive at the shop. So that's where the up grade portion sits for now.
Now for the oil question. Once I get everything back together I am torn between starting off with a synthetic or a fosil oil. My mechanic says it's a toss up. He runs synthectic in his big blocks but he has them all tricked out. He says that if you use a good grade of oil ( which I always have)and change it when you should it becomes a personal choice. That's basicly how I feel but there's always that question in the back of your mind.
I know this subject has been beat to death but just hummor me for the sake of this project. Your input is always appreciated.

Sam

turbo2256
01-25-2002, 09:58 PM
Dont use synthetic oil for a break-in. Often I use cheap non detegent oil for inital start up and change in an hour refill and run for 4 hrs, after that change to 15w/40w diesel oil run for 20 hrs change and refill. After I am shure the engine is completely broken in then use the synthetic if you use it first the rings wont seal.
Keep that RPM up over 1500 or so for cam breakin during first 15 min as soon as it is started.

Sam
01-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Whats up with the diesel oil ?

Sam