PDA

View Full Version : New Donzi owner (of used 18 classic)

DonziBuoy
02-28-2003, 12:58 PM
Hello folks,
I am finally the owner of a 1995 classic Donzi and can't wait to play with it! It has a stock 350 mercruiser with silent choice and does an honest 64 MPH with a full tank and 4 people with a 23 inch 3 blade SS prop. I am thinking of putting some less restrictive exhaust manifolds and a freer breathing flame arrester - Any otehr suggestions? It has no trim tabs and wonder if it needs them?
Thanks , Jim

Scubado
02-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Congratulations on the new boat! The 18 is my personal favorite Donzi. Do you have any photos? What drive do you have?

You can never go wrong with a blower. :D I've been told that just adding better exhaust manifolds alone won't gain you much HP with the 350. I suggest you just enjoy it for a season or two before you go making all kinds of modifications. Low to mid 60's with that boat is very respectable!

Have fun!

RedDog
02-28-2003, 02:05 PM
I would recommend going with trim tabs prior to upgrading the exhaust - you will see a lot more benefit

Congratulations go your new ride :)

Fish boy
02-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey DonziBuoy,
Congratulations and welcome to the Registry. Post some pics when you get a chance (but try to keep them less than 600x600). By the way, there is no recovery program for the addiction you just purchased :)

Fishboy

DonziBuoy
02-28-2003, 02:47 PM
I can see this is an adiction as to the quality of all the boats on this site! I had a hard time finding one - it was not easy for me because everyone I saw was in excellent condition - I finally decided on the 18 for ease of trailoring - I bought the boat in Florida, and will have it shipped back to here to good ole- Missouri (lake of the Ozarks - home of the party cove). I think I will take the advice of running with it for a season and then next fall, start on it - It has an Alpha drive, white hull and deck with teal waterline and top deck stripe- white interior with teal piping. rub rail around cockpit. It has a raised engine lid though, which makes it appear it has more there? I noticed the recent ones all have this in various heights (volvo different height).

Now I need to find a shipper/ Suggestions?

Greg Maier
02-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Good Choice , Teal is the best color for a Donzi :D

If you don't believe me, just ask Dr. Dan.

boldts
02-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Hey Donzibouy. Welcome to the Registry and the Donzi family! For shipping suggestions, try the search option available. There has been threads on doing just that in the past. Hope to meet you at Donzi gathering in the future. :)

Ranman
02-28-2003, 04:14 PM
Welcome DonziBuoy. I used to own a 96 Teal 18 Classic. As far as I can tell the raised hatch or "hood scoop" is only on the 95-96 model years. In 97 the hatch went back to a much smaller scoop or whatever you call it. I think it may have been that way in order to clear one of the engines offered in those years that had an unusually high flame arrestor, but I could be wrong. Search the registered boats section by length and look at pics of 95-96 18 Classics vs. 97 and later models to compare.

Mark Albers
02-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Jim wink

There is no way in hell you will be out in your 18-Classic on the Lake of the Ozarks (on the weekend)

(its equivalent to 5-7 foot waves on the ocean)

Anyway there is a guy who has a blue 22 by the @12 mile marker on the KC side
You might hook up with him

Have fun

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (close to the factory and far from a dream)

Temp in FL = 78

Barry Phillips
02-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the Donzi family, do the tabs before anything else. I do not run tabs on my Classic 18 because I do not have the heart to drill holes in the tansom. The boat runs in the mid to hi 60s without a load with little chine walk, nice stable hull. Where the tabs will be handy is runing at a right angle in a good chop. The hull will lean like crazy into the wind. I also find with a full load of passengers aboard it tends to lean also ad slower speeds. This hull likes to run fast and I think tabs will allow you to keep the bow down at slow speeds.

Also any engine mods will need to be a package, if you are running an honest 64mph with 4 people aboard and 30+ gallons of fuel thats dam good. No one mod is going to boost your performace, you need to think about a build up intake, cam, heads etc. I would keep the exhust to last. You will need a 100hp to push that hull over the 70mph mark.
Good luck.
SO-SLO

riverrat
02-28-2003, 04:37 PM
welcome! ask the Harbormaster (that's what we call Scot) about getting your boat to you.
next, I don't think you need trim tabs on a '18 the factory guys will tell you the same thing. I'm running a 300hp 350 mag mpi & don't need them. I also think stock is best. ( no problems)
the alpha drive is fine for that setup & it weighs less than a bravo too.. your going to love that boat!!

enjoy! & drop Soct a note with any questions he just got one like yours this past summer. he can be reached at www.scot@donzi.net (http://www.scot@donzi.net)

congrats, the riverrat :D remember to register your boat!

McGary911
02-28-2003, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the board, and congratulations on the new boat! I know how you must feel, dying to use the new boat, as i just bought my first Donzi last weekend. Registered it today, in fact. I dont know if youve been lurking or not, but this board offers so much knowledge, as a new donzi owner, i think it should be your homepage!

KRAVEN
02-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Welcome and congrats on the purchase.This site is full of true loyal DONZI owners who are always willing to help.I suggest you run your classic stock for the first year to learn the limits of the hull.I too own a 18 classic and feel it is the perfect boat.Do you have a windseild?Hope to meet you one day at a club outing,till then keep your bow up.
Bill Kalinowski
#1 18 scorpion powered CLASSic

DonziBuoy
02-28-2003, 10:39 PM
Thanks Guys,

I have been reading this site for the past several months. It is interesting how many people congregate to this site - obviously something that is worth while - One of the key reasons why I was looking to buy a DOnzi. Consumer loyalty is not easy to achieve for any product these days.

I must admit, the Lake of the Ozarks is as choppy as it gets, and I really thought about getting a 22 to deal with it, but I also feel, that the 18 can be trailered to all of your events without having to invest in a Suburban or 4X4 truck. So, we will see. Does anyone have an idea what HP it takes to get to 60+ MPH on an 18' (with a 23 pitch SS 3 blade at 4600 RPM)? I am assuming it is a stock engine at 260 HP for 1995. Thanks for the information and the warm welcome, I will contact Scot about getting her home. See you folks out there!

Rodger
02-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Using 4600 RPM, 23 Pitch prop, and allowing 10% slippage; I calculate your speed at 60.3 MPH, using the speed formula that I have. I'm assuming your drive is 1.5-1 ratio.

harbormaster
03-01-2003, 03:49 AM
If it is like mine (also a 1995) it has a 1.5 ratio and a 23 pitch Vengence prop.

Bug
03-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Congratulations!! Great choice,I enjoy the ride of
my 18 2+3 (classic).My top end is 62mph with a
260 Mercruiser and spinning a 23 pitch clever @
4600rpm. Good Luck with her.
Ken

Barry Phillips
03-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Hi DonziBouy, I can only respond to your question based on my own experience. I am running a stock 5.7L Mercruiser, 250 hp with a Bravo 1 drive, and a 23 pitch Vengeance SS wheel. I have been radared at 65.2 mph in a light chop with my wife aboard and about 35 gallons of fuel. I was also radared with 3 passengers at 62mph. I have seen 67 on the speedo alone in the boat with less fuel. People check under my motor hatch to make sure there isn't 300 Mag under it. I have never seen this boat run less than 62mph.

SO-SLO

DonziBuoy
03-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Thanks all, If am running those speeds with a stock 350, that means I did not get a lemon then right? As for props, mine is a SS Mercruiser (only says 23 p 3 blde). I am sure this question has been asked only 100000000000001 times, but any ideas on the best prop choice ? I want speed - but not with sacrificing handling. THat clever prop, what is the advantage and I also saw a lot of vengence props - who makes them and what are the advantages, disadvantages - again, I can't believe the wealth of experience on this board. Thanks, Jim