PDA

View Full Version : Love Donzi's BUT

FJB20
01-25-2002, 08:00 PM
First Time Boat Buyer -- Just Came Phila. Boat Show. Looking for a 22 Foot Bow Rider -- 22Z Mag has 300- HP -- Cobalt 226 Bow Rider has the 496 V8 with 420 HP -- Help Me Here -- I'm a Corvette Owner and Why Should I Buy a DONZI with Less HP-- This is a Great Website - But as a First Time Guy--I'm Confused THANX!!!! FJB20@aol.com

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-25-2002, 08:11 PM
This post should bring some interesting replies!

I would pick the Donzi for several reasons.
Ride
Warranty
Quality
and to be different, search Boat Trader, a thousand Fountains and other name brands, search Donzi, a handful. So are they rare or just a lot of happy owners?

I mean you do own a Vette and not a Camaro...
HP is not everything, I think the other is a bit over-powered for a family boat.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck, have fun and be safe. Keep us posted.

I did want to add I know a guy with a 26 Cobalt, he is very pleased and their warranty work was done with no hassles.
Bryan

mikev
01-25-2002, 09:17 PM
order a Z22 with the scorpion package and you get 350HP and the Donzi is 550lbs lighter so they both should run about the same top speed. with the Donzi being lighter and the fact that a small block revs quicker than a big block accelarration should be better in the Donzi. Besides its like your vette everyone goes WOW its a vette. My Donzi is only a V6 but i get all kinds of complements about it because it is a Donzi. I never got a reaction like that from any of my other boats.

Shanghied Again
01-25-2002, 10:02 PM
Its like you own a Corvette, Would you buy a Fiero, (No) a Donzi is a name in its own a name that when you talk to any boater they know you own the best and yes I would definitly look in to the Scorpion package,

RPD
01-25-2002, 10:02 PM
My Donzi is 26 years old and 16 feet... people are always stopping, speeding up, or turning to admire it... I remember a time recently when a teenager (I'm 54) rode his bike down to the ramp while I was launching, when he saw the boat he stopped abruptly, gasped, and started talking to me about it .... not long ago I was passing a 75 foot Hattaras and the gentleman on deck yelled to me "I like your boat"..... enough said!

tailwind
01-25-2002, 11:04 PM
OK folks lets get something started here. Having previously owned several "vettes" and one new used 18' Donzi, plus other high performance boats, there is absolutely no comparison here ! If speed is the only consideration buy a flat bottom bass boat. If you want to run some chop, go for the "Porsche" of boats "DONZI". Find a dealer and go for a ride - drive it etc. As you can with both Chevrolet and Porsche. Enough said.

Barry Phillips
01-25-2002, 11:53 PM
FJB20:
If you own a Vett than you must ask yourself
why do you own it. If the answer is passion
than you don't need our advice . Colbats are
wonderful well crafted boats, but I do not
think thier is a Colbalt currently produced
that can run with a HP 500 or 496HO 22.
These are 70 to 80 mph pocket rockets.
I have had a passion for the Cassic series
Donzis since I was 15 years old I am 49 now
and my 18 is still a rush, it is sexy just
sitting on the trailer. It's sort of like the boat
that never grew up, I am currently buying a 496HO blue on white 22. It dose not have fancy keys nor molded automotive dash like a Cobalt, or fancy graphics like a Baja, no this machine is all business and style like a Shelby Cobra or an early e-type Jag. Thats what Cassic Donzis are all about. I never pulled up to a gas dock or a beach or where- ever without conversation, people ask me if it's Italian, how fast is it, one woman at a launch ramp commented my 18 had a cute name.
Not to labor the point. When I was 17 I drove my sister's boyfriend's 67 Corvette rag top from Albany NY to NJ, a perfect summer day with the top down .I had never driven a stick
before. I think it was a 327 you would now better than me.The point is I remember that experience like it was yesterday I know you understand.
So if buy that Colbat you are getting a great
boat and you will have fun with it, but every-
time as Classic Donzi rumbles past, you
will think of that 67 Vett.
SO-SLO

Barry Phillips
01-26-2002, 12:05 AM
Sorry Cobalt for spelling your name wrong,
long week. By the way did you pick up a
Cobalt brochure, I sort of remember the
early Cobalts were copys of the Classic 18.
I guess they had to start somewhere.
SO-SLO

David Ochs
01-26-2002, 12:35 AM
My old Donzi isn't as fast as other boats, it doesn't have fancy graphics,it doesn't have power trim, no loud stereo, there's hardly any room inside, basically it's impractical as hell. But it has class and attracts attention wherever we go. Occasionally, my wife will mention looking at something more practical, but she never mentions getting rid of the Donzi. She's cool, she likes my boat.

EricG
01-26-2002, 12:42 AM
Wow....what a problem to have....which of the finest boats out there do I buy... wink.gif

The Cobalts are very well built, have nice lines, and seem to really hold there value well.....kinda like the Lexus of boats. They are also the ultimate status symbol up here in Microsoft land, if you boat on Lake Washington and don't have a Cobalt....you haven't got anything.

Whereas with Donzi, your buying one of the greatest names in the history of pleasure boating, and the mystique that goes with it. More like buying a Mercedes or BMW (we're talking the new Z series here, if we're talking ZX or Classic, we're talking about Vette's and 911's).

If your looking for a family boat, you're really looking at two of the finest, so just buy the one that suites your needs...you shouldn't be disappointed with either.....

Good luck!!

EG

boldts
01-26-2002, 12:53 AM
I too like the posts above have had much the same stories while in my 1969 18' Classic. I'm often asked while sitting in line waiting to launch her what year she is, how long have you owned, even, I wanted one of these, but the conversation always ends with a statement like, Beautiful boat! You just don't see a Donzi on most lakes and when you do, there is usually a crowd of folks looking at it and usually it's the other performance boat owners doing the looking. Mine is for sure not the fastest boat on the lake, but when your going down the lake and the wind is blowing thru your hair, it just doesn't matter. biggrin.gif

Formula Jr
01-26-2002, 03:13 AM
I know this conversion primarily deals with relatively new boats, the New Cobalt Vs New Donzi Vs New Formula kind of discussion. In a larger sense, the boats are so similar its 6 of one, half dozen of the other. They are all, excellent, well made, expensive boats. The thing is, Cobalt and Formula never made a Bench Seat Hornet, Criterion, Classic 22, Minx, X-18 or Donzi 14. They never made anything like them. It was this willingness to make art, instead of mere commodity boats, that seperates Donzi from the pack. I can't count the number of 18's I've seen. But the design never gets old. And everything on these boats is a delight to touch, operate and view. That's probably why they have been in continous production since 1965.

FJB20, see, if you had posted that same question, anywhere else than here, you would have gotten a load of partisan crap about this and that. Most of it uninformed and meaningless. Not here, cause Donzi owners are not Posers. We're the real deal and will give it to you straight one way or the other. That has to tell you something about the love we have for these boats. And how comfortable we are in our decision to go Donzi. We just don't HAVE to diss other good boats. We just out run them others when things get nasty.

lou
01-26-2002, 06:24 AM
Actually Cobalt started in the boat business by knocking off Donzi boats. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Buy the boat you like the best, having a Donzi is more like having a Ferrari than a Corvette. You see Donzi was born of pure racing heritage; they are the boats that set the pace for today's high performance water craft. Boats like Cobalt are just a by product of that success.

SS18
01-26-2002, 09:06 AM
Yes,
I too had a similar reaction to my 18 classic!
Hot sunny afternoon about Happy Hour we approached
Dutchmann's water side watering hole among some of the finest and most exspensive boats on the water Hustlers,fountains,formulas etc.(Maybe a cobalt not drawing much attention)When one patron stood up drawing attetion to the classic and said
"Dude! you have the most beautiful boat here!"
Modestly,I replied yes I do Thank You.
Jim in NJ
Ps the 2001 Red Convertable Corvette gets a very similar response too! biggrin.gif cool.gif

Dr. Dan
01-26-2002, 09:07 AM
I agree with all of the above, the people and the boats exude "PANACHE", or class, the important thing is that you and your family enjoy the experience. Personnally I want to not only enjoy the experience but I want reliable "turn-key" performance to go with that class, or is it "Class Envy", maybe as they see you cruise by in your DONZI....? wink.gif Good Luck ...Doc

SS18
01-26-2002, 09:12 AM
Oh yea,
Buy the Donzi! I don't know of any Colbalt
forums.If there are probably getting two hits a
week! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Jim in NJ

Tomahawk
01-26-2002, 11:18 AM
FJB20 - I like the way Barry put it. May I add, Donzi is one of the few companies, of any kind, that has such a colorful and noted history. It's all part of the mystique and the special feeling you get whenever you turn the key and pull away from the dock. It's not just another nice boat - it's something more. Hope to meet you at Lake Cumberland in May !!

Donzigo
01-26-2002, 12:40 PM
cool.gif What great replies from Tomahawk, Bryan, Barry. Here's my story, too. Just this morning a friend brought a kid over who got up at 6:45AM to be here and go for a ride in my 1989 Z-33. His dad's got a 2001 "Big boy toy - Hatteras", and the kid says, "what a cool ride, I didn't want to miss it!". Where else could a 52 and a 16 year old male connect?

Once when on a plane, talking boats to a guy, "DONZI" he says: "Oh, I know all about Donzi, it's that cool Italian boat, Hey, I've been to the factory in Italy", I say: "Uhhhhhh, no kiding, well, I sure hope I can see it someday."

Docking at Salt Rock Grill uptown spot, two weeks ago, along with a two new Formulas, one with twin Bulldog engines, (I'm drooling), and a new Wellcraft. Everybody is standing around to see all the boats, even my old 1989 Z-33 Donzi. It's a "looker". A guy comes over and says: "What a great boat, you know I used to own one." Another guy and wife come down and help with the lines, with more conversation. As others have noted, where can you get an "eye candy" boat, which still brings interest after 13 years?

My old Corvette has the only Florida license plate named: DONZI. (I waited years for Kathy Genth to give it up). It always brings conversation about Donzis everywhere I go.

Like others, my love affair with Donzi is ancient. The first time I saw the ad with the Sweet Sixteen Donzi and the Jet, I said, I'll have one of those one day. And now, I have been blessed with two, and a Schnauzer named "DONZI".

Cobalt is a well crafted boat, there's no shame in owning one. But, Donzi has a heritage and pedegree in the boating world, that can be matched by no other name on the planet. Just own one once, and you'll know what we are all talking about.

Where are you Madpoodle? I can't wait for your spin on this.

Donzigo (Richard)

Stix Magill
01-26-2002, 01:23 PM
You can't go wrong with either boat! I bought my Donzi 8 months ago, 1987 20' Minx Limited Edition. At my summer home where I boat, my neighbor has a Cobalt of similar size and vintage. He has had his boat for around 6 or 8 years and has fully restored it. It is a fantastic boat, pretty fast (50 mph) and very luxurious.
But, when I pulled up to my dock in the Donzi the first time, I thought he was going to faint. See, he had been the envy of the boaters on our modest river. Until now! The shock and admiration was comical to me, but in hindsight, I understood it fully. I had been jealous of his boat up until that day. Now we have the two coolest boats on Yellow Creek.
The Cobalt flies below the radar but with luxury and style, and the Donzi turns heads everywhere and is SO FUN! I am a Donzi guy and wouldn't trade. I believe he feels the same about his Cobalt.

You are very fortunate to have the ability to buy either of those great boats. Good luck with your decision!

Scott Smith
smile.gif

CrackerJack
01-26-2002, 07:36 PM
What a nice situation, may you be happy with either choice. Here are my 9 reasons for owning and enjoying a Donzi.
1) It's a Donzi.
2) One of the three things I wanted when growing up in south Florida.
3) It's a Donzi.
4) Meeting and being associated with some the greatest people at the Donzi events.
5) It's a Donzi.
6) Like owning a piece of history.
7) It's a Donzi.
8) More fun than can be described.
9) Did I say because it's a Donzi?
I guess by now you know my choice in my humble
but, accurate opinion. Jack

marcdups
01-26-2002, 08:20 PM
Guys and Gulls, just let him know, no Donzi, NO AOTH, if it is anything close to Eufala( thanks Forrest ) he will be missing a lifetime of GREAT FOLKS and GREAT BOATS, will NEVER forget the people and the gathering, FANTASTIC!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

boldts
01-27-2002, 01:39 PM
FJB20,
Just wanted to add, and of course, no pressure here, but even if you decide to purchase the Cobalt, you are welcome to use Lake Cumberland in Kentucky while the Donzi gathering is going on. It's a public lake. In my opinion, come to our AOTH II gathering, feel the mystic of the Donzi family, experience a ride on a Donzi and then buy the boat of your choice. Does Cobalt have a gathering? Maybe. Does Cobalt have a website dedicated to Cobalt owners? Maybe. In essence, you can't go wrong as long as you buy what YOU want. Good Luck and Happy boating in your decision.

BigGrizzly
01-27-2002, 06:12 PM
Everone has sid it but I will add an experience to it. We got our first Donzi in 1966 a 16 foot ski sporster with a H&M V8. We still have it today and its just as good as it was than. I also have a 1971 18 Corsican with a 351 H&M Ford Cleveland and a 1981 22 Criterion with a 502 in it. I have had several other boats since th2 early 1950's. The Donzis are the only boats that I still have. I rest my case!!!.

Randy

SS18
01-27-2002, 07:09 PM
Want to clarify,
I have a friend with a cobalt it is a beautiful boat but it is not the same rush as we know! He
loves our boat period and the admiration of it!

Jim in NJ.

mattyboy
01-27-2002, 08:45 PM
fbj20 welcome!
let's keep it in terms of your vette, you have your everyday vette, fast beautiful, well built,a headturner, then you have your ,split window coupe,a 78 25th anniv. edition,the calloway turbo,
that's it in a nutshell, great every day boat cobalt, or ultimate boat Donzi.

quick story , we have a rowing club on my lake,1 and 2 man skuls (sp), one fall afternoon I was out for a blast ,seeing a skull on the west shore I wanted to steer clear of him so I blasted up the east shore, we were the only boats out there, upon my return the skul was also heading home, now this guy is waving his arms, whistling, putting up a big fuzz, what the hell did I do, didn't come within a 1/2 mile of this guy,I can't let it go so i idle over to him , waiting for the power boat are the scourge of the lake and it's too loud,too fast speech, so I ask politely can I help you? yeah what year is that? it's a honey, love that boat, have always love DONZIs, offered him a ride,he offered a ride to me but I don't row rolleyes.gif
I don't think he would have flagged down a cobalt or sea ray even though they are great boats too

Matt

smokediver
01-29-2002, 03:25 PM
cobalts are very nice boats. I had a boston whaler bow rider 1996 that I traded for my 16. My dad thought I was nuts and my wife says that it isnt practical . But since I was a kid I wanted one. I wish I could have afforded the 18 but being a fireman with a family there isnt a lot left over! I must say though that I wouldnt change a thing about my 16. I am so happy and my dad and my wife understand that it really is more than just a boat but a passion and no matter what other kind of boat is in the marina, the heads turn when my little 16 comes in.

BigGrizzly
01-29-2002, 06:59 PM
Well said Smoke, the fact that the Wife and your Dad understand should be proof enough for anyone. One more thing you would not been any happier with the 18, just a little different.

Randy

Blewbyu
01-29-2002, 07:26 PM
I have a '74 X-18 that was restored in 1990, and it's still drop dead GORGEOUS!!!I have no idea of how many hours I have simply sat or stood in the garage and looked at that hull!Man, it's ORGASMIC!Absolutely everywhere I go,it stops traffic.Men rave, women swoon!I trolled into the Meydenbauer Yacht Club to see if Pete Hamblin was about in his X-18.There was a party going on at the end of the main mooring dock,crowd of about 30 people,mostly middle aged.They all stopped and GAPED at the Donzi,then started yelling questions.I tied up for about an hour to answer questions,then took 20 people (4 at a time) for short,full throttle "rocket rides".All the men wanted to buy it,and one woman claimed 3 orgasms in 6 minutes in the shotgun seat!I gotta tell you-there is NO OTHER BOAT that will do that to people!!Besides being fast,and spectacular in very rough water,the Donzi is probably the most sensual boat floating!They have the Italian flair in spite of their U.S.A. design and build.I too would compare them more to Ferrari than any other car. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif redface.gif biggrin.gif

marcdups
01-29-2002, 09:59 PM
Look at this small sweet rocket, even towing other Donzis, she looks like a tiger waiting for it's prey, car wise I would say , A Triumph STAG, a true classic!!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/newstag.jpg

ToonaFish
01-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Mr. Dups got it right, but for me my love of Donzis is like that for Alfa Romeos... they reek of sleek, stylish elegance... they aren't always the fastest, but they go quite nicely. They are completely impractical, often tempermental, and always costing a few more dollars than planned. But I can't look at either without a grin sneaking out.

Bunches,
Celene 'the Graduate'

Formula Jr
01-30-2002, 01:03 AM
This is your Brain. (http://www.epud.net/~owen/windstar.gif)

This is your brain on Donzi. (http://www.epud.net/~owen/gt40.jpg)

Any Questions?

biggrin.gif

Sagbay32
01-30-2002, 09:34 AM
LOL
Owen you're cracking me up!
Loved your comparo

Hotspare
01-30-2002, 09:51 AM
Believe it...... I've had two different Donzi's.... and totally agree with all the above statements.... Going to the lake with my Donzi, was an event, not just boating..... It seem's your suddenly high profile or something.... The good,bad,bad,and,ugly are always there... People want to be seen with the boat, I think ??? (example) I go's inside for a beer, come's back out 30min later, and almost always,a group of half dressed,half drunk, dirty talking, young men and women, standing by my Donzi...and there's lot's of other boat's around to, getting little if any attention ?????? I can say that from experience,,, I used to be one of em....... So my take on the Donzi/Cobalt thing is.... If You buy a DONZI, you've also bought a legend,and all that goes with it, the good,bad,and the ugly.... By comparison though, if you get the Cobalt, you've become essentially....invisable.... But, at least you'll know,who love's Yaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!
cool.gif

DONZIMAN2
01-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Driving to work I pass by several Marinas and Marine service centers. None of these are Donzi Dealers. One of the spots I pass usually has a lot of boats sitting on the lot, none of which get your attention much. The other day as I was driving by and a 35 ZF was sitting there. A Fish boat you know. Well I almost wrecked the truck. It just lit up the whole parking lot. If a ZF had that effect on me imagine if the new F2 had slipped in covertly the night before. I would probably had ended up in the ICU. Buy what you want but for me I just like the lines of a DONZI! The old man is gone but his legend lives on!!!!!!!!!! Go/Stay Donzi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sagbay32
01-30-2002, 07:59 PM
I will admit that I take a certain way to work (which is longer) just to see a giant Donzi. It looks like a 30 something white w/ red hull sides. I must look like a real dork craining my neck, swerving in the same spot on the same road nearly every day.

If it is somebody's boat who is reading this, (on the Dixie Hwy in Drayton Plains) You have a very nice boat!

When my Wife is with me, we have this routine where I say look honey There's that big Donzi, and she says "I know... just be happy with the one you've got". biggrin.gif

Hotspare
01-31-2002, 10:01 AM
Yep, I'm doing the same thing... Been runnin the same rutt,for the last 14 years... The business faturnity call's it the marine natical mile, a strip of seven boat dealers, running along the west shore of, one of our favorite lake's in the area. One DONZI dealer in the bunch to,so it's special.... tongue.gif It's called the LCP THRILL FACTORY, he's got his 2002,stuff in now, 38zx thru 18classic,,,,, WOW,WOW,WOW,,,,,,, NOW,that's pretty tough keep'in the old ford between the ditch's on that one........ after I'm past,I nudge the wife.....you can open your eye's now...... She's good sport........ cool.gif

cummins
01-31-2002, 05:53 PM
I'll buy a Cobalt when I'm older and Grey...they are great boats. But guess what? I'll still have a Donzi biggrin.gif

roadtrip se
01-31-2002, 10:36 PM
Hey FreightDog,

Glad to see you finally make it on the board!

Welcome and let's plan on hooking up when
the weather gets better.

Todd

Hotspare
02-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Thank's ROADTRIP2,,, I'm glad to be aboard, I't took a while, but have my new computer now. Hey, that sound's GREAT, can't wait to hook up with you guy's at the lake later on..... I'll have some technical questions, for a computer GURU by then........ Thank's again, take care... bruce..