PDA

View Full Version : ?s on GT 21 windshileds

Formula Jr
02-28-2003, 08:02 AM
If anyone out there has an orginal GT 21 windshield, could you see if there are any identifing numbers on the main glass panel. This windsheild is most likely the same used in some sort of 1969 to '75 automobile. Question is, which car did it go to.?

Thanks..

Jamesbon
02-28-2003, 08:21 AM
This is really of no help at all to your question, but I thiought I'd post a pic of my aftermarket "cut down" windshield anyway.

I like it.

Was the original really made of glass as opposed to plastic?

GT Pic (http://www.donzi.net/photos/nsc022803.jpg)

olredalert
02-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Formula,

---------Not sure what you are asking?Every GT21 I ever saw had a plexi windshield and side windows.Nothing to do with any car whatsoever.Some had small side vent windows incorporated as an option.Pricey, as I recall, as I did not order them on my new 21 in 71.The frame was aluminum and was notorius for its lack of strength.I had to constantly remind people not to grab the windshield for fear it would get bent downward or broken.There was actually a factory fix incorporating a bracket from center dash to the windshield,but you had to ask for it to get it,and I didnt like the way it looked.
------If you have some sort of real tempered glass windshield that used to be on your 21GT,I would like to see the frame it uses.
------Additionally,Im almost positive all 21GTs came with windshields.The dash was a separate mold and because of that the deck looked awkward without the windshield.You will see 21GTs nowdays without windshields but I believe this is mostly due to the cost associated with replacing it.Theres a dark blue(repainted) 21GT with V-drive right here in my neighborhood with no windshield.The fella that owns it didnt know the boat ever had a windshield until I told him.Hope this helps,Owen................ol red!............Bill S

Rick
02-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Mine has always been plastic, however I don't know if it was original. Replaced with plastic Lexan or plexi (I can't remember). I do remember people complaining about bending frames. Would that be possible with Glass? If so maybe thats why they are all plastic now. I don't remember the thread, but someone mentioned a green tint once. Rick

Formula Jr
02-28-2003, 10:17 AM
Old'red, et al. I just rechecked the shield, you are right about the plexy. I thought that the side panels were glass, but they are also plexy. The shield I have looks like it was replaced at some point with a badly cut replacement that doesn't fit all that well in the frame or follow the slight bow in the crown of the deck. But after all the comments, it might actually be the original, it now just looks all worn out from all the flexing. The design is very poor, almost an after thought. I can see that it flexed so baddly that all the joints are worn. It would look very silly without a shield of some sort to transition the molded base into the dash. I like Nate's solution but that might be out of my budget . It would make no sense to replace the whole thing with a OEM type shield, cause its just to flimsy. Maybe theres a black or tinted acylic type, low, wrap around that will work. I would like the ability to see and step over the shield for access to the foredeck. Guess I'll have to do some research. wink

Scott Pearson
02-28-2003, 10:56 AM
The windshield in my Hornet is all original. The cast markings in the plexi glass say LP MFG. Luminous Plastics Inc. Ft Lauderdale, FL. The glass is green.

At this point the frame is out being polished. I have all new green lexan for it and it will be getting cut and installed in a few more weeks. The glass was around $200.00 and to have it cut, bent and installed will be around $380.00. Dont know what the total for have it polished is yet. I will have to post pictures when I get it back.

I have also tracked down the right stainless steel eye bolts that hold it down to the deck. It should look mint when its done!

(NJ)Scott

Formula Jr
02-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Oh, THATS gonna look sweet.
A bright orange Hornet with a light green tinted windshield..... http://www.epud.net/~owen/psmile4.gif

Scott Pearson
02-28-2003, 12:06 PM
owen....lol....No its going to be the orig. yellow color with black deck and boot stripe. Black interior

I was thinking about doing it lime green.....it would look really cool. I just cant bring myelf to doing it.

(NJ)Scott

jwright
03-02-2003, 09:22 AM
My 1976 GT has the orignal w/s. It is a Taylormade (there is still a sticker on it) and I guess I am lucky that has not bent or broke yet! I do have crack in one of the welds but that is from when I removed it I think. I replaced the glass with standard plexiglass when I got the boat. It was easily bent into teh frame. The previous owner put in tinted plexiglass and it was unsafe at night. The plex has held really well, I polish it once in awhile and have very few scratches.
Awhile ago I posted the source for the rubber gasket that hols the glass in. I absolutely love the looks (when they do not have that big bend in the middle from someone pulling on it!) and it is very effective with the wind. It makes feel boring to say I like being behind a w/s but it has extended my season so much and 2 hour long rides are a little less tiring.

Scott Pearson
03-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Jwright,
Do you remember the source that you got the gasket from. I would like to get a new one if possable.

Thanks!
(NJ)Scott

Rick
03-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Scott,
Been Gone for a while. I have the name and p/n for the rubber gasket for my twin 21's windshield at home (at work now). Haven't purchased it yet, because they require a minimum run length. If you are interested I will research it and get back with you. Maybe we can combine an order? Let me know. Rick

Scott Pearson
03-10-2003, 09:21 AM
Rick,
Please get some more and let me know. I would be interested.

Thanks!
(NJ)Scott