PDA

View Full Version : Build my engine.

Jay Robertson
01-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Just for fun say I had a classic 22. If you could put any engine in it what would it be. I want to know head types, cam profiles, exhaust. Get as extream as you want. But the goal is to build an motor that huge power and be the most efficent. fuel etc. just for fun lets stick with a bravo.Any type. top speed is a factor. There is no right or wrong way. I will post mine in a couple of days. Remember you have as much money as you need to build your dream engine.

Rootsy
01-25-2002, 07:23 AM
well heck in that case, if i have all the money i need, why don't i just take a jaunt over to pennsylvania and have ray barton build me a hemi... so what's a bravo rated at for max HP and rpm anyway?

turbo2256
01-25-2002, 09:06 AM
They ain't rated for a Hemi and there not good for economy either

mattyboy
01-25-2002, 09:18 AM
even if I had money to burn, I would stay with the 22 se powerplant,500hp is the ticket,durability performance all in one!

Matt

RickSE
01-25-2002, 09:48 AM
This one is easy. I'd use an all aluminum Oldsmobile DRCE block (Drag Race Competition Engine). I'd also use Hilborn mechanical fuel injection and Olds DRCE heads. Not sure about all the internals but it would make some serious H.P. and be light.

http://www.s-series.org/htm/tech/GMPerfParts/153-156.pdf

Heck with the Hemi, it's an outdated overweight elephant motor. tongue.gif

KMLFAMILY
01-25-2002, 10:10 AM
HOW ABOUT ALL ALUMINUM, SBC, 427CI, BLOWN,BDS EFI,INTERCOOLED,GEAR DRIVE FOR ADDED WHINE.IF YOU JUST LET IT IDLE ALL DAY IT WILL ALMOST BE FUEL EFFICENT AND YOU STILL WILL BE THE BADDEST DOG ON THE DOCK ! eek.gif

Rootsy
01-25-2002, 11:43 AM
yeah but you have to admit... most people still ooooh and ahhhh at the sight of that elephant motor... although i'm not much of a chrysler man myself... and really the design isn't outdated... seems that if you want 6000 horsepower out of 500 Cu in, eventhough it is running on nitro... you still see a hemispherical combustion chamber being used... but hey.. to each their own and that's what this thread is about eh... actually i dont think you could get a hemi in a 22 without taking the superstructure off... makes ya scratch your head and think for a moment...

Woodsy
01-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Well..

If money were no object, I would start with an aluminum Rodeck or Merlin tall deck BBC. Use a Lunati steel stroker crank, Carillo H-beam Rods, & a set of KB flattop forged pistons it would be right around 600ci with Canfield Aluminum heads. Heres where we get to the fun part.... I want a set of Weber 48IDA carburetors.... CMI Elbow Tops for the exhaust. You are looking at about 650 very reliable horsepower.... Not that I have been thinking about this for quite some time....

Then of course, I want the IMCO standoff box with the external steering, and one of those new IMCO extreme shorty outdrives....

Woodsy

Woodsy biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Forrest
01-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Since a Seatek 10.3 BiTurbo diesel offshore race engine (1150hp) won't fit, best give your unlimited money to Keith Eickert (http://www.keith-eickert.com/)and buy his 87-octane, 600HP, 540 cubic-inch NA marine engine. Since there is no blower, it should fit under the engine hatch. biggrin.gif

Jay Robertson
01-25-2002, 06:37 PM
My engine would be a viper v10. power of a big block weight of a small block. 450hp 490 tq.
But I do have a 98 ls1 in a wrecked trans am. It has a 150hp nos kit on it. In the car and running. the rear of the car is smashed. it has 305hp and is as light as a small v6. So here is my
question. I want either a 18 22 classic. a hull.
no engine. Will consider without outdrive.steering in place. email me if anyone has any thoughts on this buildup. jayrob66@hotmail.com

turbo2256
01-25-2002, 09:08 PM
My engine:

454 BBC approx 750 HP @ 10Lbs of boost

Forged crank, billet rods,forged 7.5 to 1 pistons

block 454 2 or4 bolt ARP studs in mains and heads
(a Merlin block with steel mains opt)

Mercuser oval port FI intake extrude honed

Electromotive ECM with coil pack and a laptop

Engle TC6 or 7 cam (cant find my notes but its mild)

Lightning turbo headers

Two turbochargers

cast structural oil pan

Edelbrock Oval port heads ported to about 290 CFM @.6 lift inconel ferrai valves exh and SD SS intakes

Boost adj from 6 to 14 Lbs

Dry tail pipes

Brovo I with 1.36 gearing min diesel gear and shaft set

Zero gap rings

Crane wide body roller rockers Arp studs and poly locks 3/8 push rods and guide plates titianium retainers.

Fluid damper

Inclosed cooling

In a DONZI clasic 22 with a 28p prop at 5500 RPM est top speed 106 w/8% slip 98

at 2500 RPM est speed 49 w 8% slip 45 (here's the economy)

Dr. Dan
01-26-2002, 10:20 AM
I love Fantasy, Dr. Poodle,(and anyone else) in your never to be humble opinion, what are the best aftermarket packages out there? Teague, Eddie Marine,Merc,IMCO,B-Max, etc., I am starting my little wish list for the 22, and want to know if for a reliable and drivable performance package is it best to stick with a private shop,with a strong rep. or by a mass produced (HP 500 & Drive)offering? Or should I just build from the power we currently have 454 King Cobra, my concerns are conversion to a more parts friendly drive? Would a 575SC be too nuts! Seems everyone is going to a 600hp plant with all of the trimmings anyway, why not stick a serious drive and all of the related necessities to keep that puppy cool & happy and be done with it? What kinda speed do you think a 575SC would bring on my unit?... biggrin.gif ...Doc

Donzified
01-26-2002, 11:39 AM
Rick S you are a funny guy!

Ralph Savarese
01-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Hey if money is no object en the engine is too big make it fit!Take the top of the deck off if you have to to make it work! Who Cares we have lots of Money!
My two cents
Ralph