PDA

View Full Version : Battleship grey

olredalert
09-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Am looking to paint the engine compartment over as it is pretty lame.Do you guys know what kind of paint the original thick grey stuff is,or was?Im trying to maintain a certain degree of originality,but cant help thinking that a white or off-white engine compartment would look much better and help with being able to see more easily down in the pit.What would you all suggest?????.........ol red!

Dr. Dan
09-12-2001, 10:29 PM
I suggest you check the posts of the resident "God of Paint & Detailed Finesse", Mr. Scott Pearson, you could eat a 7 course meal off any part of his engine/compartment, and enjoy the experience...! Doc :eek:

Scott Pearson
09-13-2001, 07:26 AM
Dan,
You bring tears to my eyes! Thanks for the complement... :D Ok....so here are some pictures...The real thing is much better!

Red,
I used Zolatone. Its a water based product that comes in many different colors. Colors range from solid to speckle. And some great looking Grays. My compartment is a bright white with an off white speckle. This stuff holds up great. Gas, Oil etc doesnt touch it. And the best part is its easy as pie to touch up if need be. It will etch back into itself with no sanding!

Any whoooo...have a look!
:eek:
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001595

(NJ)Scott

ALLAN BROWN
09-13-2001, 08:40 AM
Original stuff was gray gelcoat with wax.

AB

mattyboy
09-13-2001, 09:26 AM
Please I give, uncle, uncle, no more pics of Scott's boat, under the deck perfect, engine compartment perfect,Scott is more than mortal man, his boat is perfect!!!
Please you giving me complex,
keeping up with the Pearson's

Matt
just pulling your leg Scott :p

olredalert
09-13-2001, 10:29 AM
Brownie And Scott,

Thanks for your input.Im going Zolatone chasing now!...just.....indebted........ol red!

olredalert
09-13-2001, 10:44 AM
Oh and Scott,

The little Corsican I just got would be like Supermans Bizzaro World DONZI compared to your beautiful piece of artwork!Had seen the pics before,but forgotten to what lengths you went to get the ultimute 18.......just......awed......ol red!

Scott Pearson
09-13-2001, 04:11 PM
Matty, Olred,

You guys are killing me...Its just a boat (laughing). Jeeeezzze I cant want to get started on the Old/New "secret" project...Should blow the 18 away as far as detail.

Red,

Let me know how you make out. I did not use Zolatones epoxy. I used Ours (PPG's) DP LF Epoxy. We have colors to choose from to match the Zolatone topcoat. I used White. We have a Gray if you use a Gray Zolatone.

I know...I know....What Scott didn't use a complete system!!!????? :eek:

I talked with the Rep. from Zolatone and he is the one who said no problem at all with there product sticking to ours. What I was worried about was the Epoxy sticking to the fiberglass. I never used Zolatones epoxy and didnt know how it would hold up. But I knew our DP LF was great over Fiberglass...Soooo thats what I used. Worked GREAT! Not a problem! :D

Red, Make sure you read the directions VERY carefully. You have to stir the stuff a certin way or it gets screwed up. Also a 2.0 spray tip is recomened.

Here is some more info on a past thread.
http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000966

(NJ)Scott

Scott Pearson
09-16-2001, 07:56 AM
RED,

How did you make out on your Zolatone hunt? If you had no luck let me know and I can help you out.

(NJ)Scott

olredalert
09-16-2001, 10:02 AM
I havent been to a regular paint supply yet,but local auto parts with paint sales had never heard of Zolatone.Actually ,Scott,I was thinking of something I might be able to brush in now as Im not yanking the engine prior to heading off to Sarasota.Just a temporary brightener!Can Zolatone be used in a brush manner?Thanks for your help........just........ol red!

Scott Pearson
09-16-2001, 12:39 PM
Red,
No,Zolatone cannot be brushed. Check if you have a local Finish Master Paint jobber. They can get you Zolatone.

(NJ)Scott

olredalert
09-16-2001, 11:28 PM
Much thanks to both Scotts.Will check on the brushable Awlgrip towmorrow.........just........ol red!