PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Best Orbital Polishers??

Dan
04-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi.
I'm a long time reader of this list and first time posting a message.

I need advice on buying a new orbital polisher.

I need something that will last a long time. What are you guys using? What RPMs

Please advise whats the best and why.

Much thanks,
Dan

marcdups
04-29-2002, 09:40 AM
The best in orbital polishers, used one previously and it is the Chit!! Just cannot justify owning one!!http://www.sportys.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=19&CATID=96&ObjectGroup_ID=269&OBS=20&Move=Next&Pcount=33&CurrentPage=2

Looped
04-29-2002, 10:09 AM
Dan,

I have had one of these Makita polishers for about a year now and it works great. It has an adjustable speed so that you don't burn the paint and the compound won’t go flying everywhere. If I'm really bored I even buff the high traffic areas of my oak floors in my house with it :D .

http://www.makita.com/tools_Item_View.asp?id=257

Craig

Sean
04-29-2002, 10:24 AM
I detailed cars while in highschool and college for two dealerships. The equipment I used and have had for years were purchased at the local Wal-Mart. I'm not sure what they currently carry but I would recommend an orbital buffer with a handle that extends around the machine. This allows for easy handling and use. I've used this on my autos and boats for years. Looking at web sites I found the Waxmaster W109 for $49.95 at www.waxdepot.safeshopper.com. (http://www.waxdepot.safeshopper.com.) This appears comprable to what I have. I wouldn't spend a great deal of money. You may find your needs may change and want to get something different. I've had mine for years. As it sits most of the time. You won't easliy wear it out. You may also want to invest in a high speed buffer for the deep down dirty jobs that require a little more muscle. Be careful as to not burn the paint. eek!

Enjoy shopping,
Sean

Dan
04-29-2002, 12:03 PM
Wow,
Thanks for all the info. I will look into it.

Regards,
Dan

JP BRESCIA
04-29-2002, 12:37 PM
If you want an orbital, I agree with the previous post. Don't spend alot of cash on it. Because of the orbit rotation they are best used for light work as a buffer. If you have heavier work to do, invest in a high quality variable speed sander/polisher. In this case, most of your money is going towards the motor. The more expensive the polisher, usually the better the motor in the polisher. The better the motor, the heavier the polisher. This is a very important factor when working with boat hulls. With a car hood or door the weight of the polisher and gravity helps you cut the paint. When using them on a hull, the angle you are working is against gravity and takes a significant effort of the polisher is heavy.

I use a Wilwaukee for the autos/truck and a lightweight Makita on the boats. Just my 2c.

Be sure to handle the unit before you buy it

Dan
04-29-2002, 01:38 PM
Great point about the diff. between the orbital and regular.

JP, where did you get yours, I'm not that far away from South Jersey?

Thanks again,
Dan

oldLenny
04-29-2002, 05:37 PM
All we use in the shop is Dynabrade. Air only. Have a look at them and their offerings. They are a first class product at the top of the heap. Never had ANY problems with any of them. Expect to pay about $200 US for a small one.

JP BRESCIA
04-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Dan.. I purchased the Milwaukee 7" at SEARS Hardware in Berlin, NJ. I'm sure you can find it closer to you. The orbital and Makita polisher I have had for years. The orbital is a SEARS product as well. It was very inexpensive. The Makita I bought used from the detail shop after we switched to air products.

I agree with Lenny that air driven products are great but they are not for the novice. They have incredible power and speed capabilities.