PDA

View Full Version : Donzi red

ZF-Mac
02-26-2003, 11:40 AM
My sixteen is at the paint shop. Any suggestions on what red i should use on the hullsides that will be close to the oridginal. 1967 -16 ski sport. I would like an out of the box color for future repairs. Imron maybe. What have you guys used?

Thanks,
Tim

DUCATIF1
02-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Not sure what is exact match but really deep and dark red is straight PPG toner red. If you need I can probably get # but ask any paint supplier and they will know which one. It is very red with no orange or pink tones to it. Put it next to a Viper and the Viper will look pink in comparison. Before the smart replies; i am just using the Viper as a example. That Imron is a killer be carefull!!!

Scott Pearson
02-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Tim,
Watch using straight Tints (toners). Depending on the quality of the paint type, some tints (toners) cant be used straight. Some of them need binders and additives to make them work properly. PPG Concept single stage will work with the straight DMC tint. The PPG Deltron Basecoat line DMD tints will not work. Also the Delta tints will not work. In fact the only PPG tint that will work is the Concept DMC tints.

You can use the DMD toners just as long as you cut them with the right amount binders. I have done this many times.

This applies with other paint lines also. Check with their technical personal before doing so.

(NJ)Scott

RPD
02-27-2003, 07:51 PM
used awlgrip for the red stripe on my white '76 16 and it looked great and original (the deck stripe gelcoat was faded but the boot stripe wasn't, and the paint looks ust like the original boot stripe).... also used awlgrip white on my sailboat 10 years ago and have been happy with it...

DUCATIF1
02-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Scott, you are correct and actually enlightened me with some of your reply. I was referring to the actual color and not the use of the toner itself, but you have to agree it is killer red color. I actually sprayed a few Ducati's and when it is next to a stock model it is night and day. The last time I sprayed it was with DAU so it has been a few years.

Scott Pearson
02-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Yes, any mass toner or tint will be very bright and pronounced. DAU is no longer made. Once the Federal Law on 5.0 VOC was past it could no longer be made.

(NJ)Scott

Fish boy
02-28-2003, 05:46 AM
If it has anything to do with paint, you cannot get better advice than from Scott (pearson). You might also check some earlier posts, there is a lot of info about paint.

Fish

mattyboy
02-28-2003, 10:06 AM
yes sirree bob Scott P knows his paint, but to be enlightened by him eek! wow that's a scary thought :p wink and I am suprised he did not try to talk you into orange!!!!!
the original color was lucan red ,my 68 has been repainted and is more ferrari red or fire engine red. It was origianlly grumble green I like it red !!!! http://www.donzi.net/photos/mveth60.jpg

good luck

Matt

Scott Pearson
02-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Guys...your making my head swell... eek! eek!

If any of you are interested. Im spending the weekend painting a Candy job with ghost flames. Should take 3 days. I will post pictures if you like. Its a crazy tubed out 57 chevy.

(NJ)Scott

Scubado
02-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Mac,
Don't know if this will help but here are a couple of photos of Dad's 67 18 taken last summer. It has the original gel coat wich still looks new! It looks like it has a mild brass metal flake (not sure what it is). It gives it a subtle gold sparkle. One thing is for sure, it is RED!!!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dleipham001.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/dleipham002.jpg

Scott Pearson
02-28-2003, 12:09 PM
wow.... eek! . Nice triple hatch! Does he want to sell it??? :D

(NJ)Scott

Scubado
02-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Sell It? I hope not. He bought it new, it's been his baby ever since. But you never know! You will have to out bid me however! :) If you are ever in Eastern Washington, stop by and take a look.

ToonaFish
02-28-2003, 02:28 PM
Without doubt, Scubado has the earliest recorded case of Donzi Sibling Rivalry...

ZF-Mac
02-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Thanks everyone. Info overload!!! The pics of the 18 were helpful. I think I want more of a brighter red the the oridginal. We are sharping up the bottom and then recoring the deck. It may hit the water this summer.

Thanks again,