PDA

View Full Version : Factory Internal Hydraulic Steering Option

RickSE
02-26-2003, 10:43 AM
What's the story with the Internal Hydraulic Steering option on the new 18 & 22 Classics? I'm thinking of ordering a new 496 Mag-HO 22 Classic and trying to decide if I need this option. Would it be better to leave it off and add external steering later?

oldLenny
02-26-2003, 03:12 PM
You don't mean the ITS option do you on the new XR's (Bravo's)? Big bucks!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Rick, you would probably be fine with external only, but if it were me I would look into the price difference between internal and external, pay the difference up front and be done with it.
I think it would be a nice option. My external steers nicely, I have read external is tough to steer at slow speeds, mine is not.
Best of luck.

Bryan

RickSE
02-26-2003, 04:32 PM
No this is different than the ITS.

I've always assumed the new Merc. stuff (Bravo & Alpha) came with what I'd call power steering so I'm wondering if this is something different. If you order a new 22 Classic without the internal hydraulic assist steering option do you get a boat with totally manual steering?

KRAVEN
02-26-2003, 06:15 PM
I have a 2002 18 classic with the 377 scorpion power which came standard with the internal hydraulic ram.My advise is go with the external.I have a leak in my hynautic ram and have been going round and round with DONZI to have it repaired.Finally after 10 months they have agreed to pay the $1004.00 to have it repaired.It is in a tough spot to get to and may require a engine pull.The boat does have power steering but the helm is hydraulic.Can't wait to get her back in the water.Good luck on your decision.

CDMA
02-26-2003, 07:04 PM
I think it means this:

Stock Merc system: Internal power assisted hydraulic ram actuated by a cable from a teleflex helm.

Internal hydraulic is a full hydraulic helm similar to what would come with an IMCO or Latham external steering system. However instead of having an external ram it is attached to a power assisted internal ram. This eliminates the sloop associated with cable. This method however does not eliminate the sloop associated with the gimble. The only way to remove that is to go with full external hydraulic.

Both systems would be considered power steering since an engine driven pump boosts the steering ram. The real difference lies in the actuation of the ram, one uses a mechanical( cable) the other uses a fluid ( hydraulic) actuation.

I finished an IMCO full external hydraulic system install this winter and it made a HUGE difference on the boat. I can run a lot more trim and be stable, less tendency to chinewalk and overall the boat felt much more "planted". A huge improvement. Only thing I might change is go to a bigger helm for less lock to lock turns.

Chris

Moving boats around in the snow it tough....Geoo you do one more thing to this boat I have to fix....and...and....

BigGrizzly
02-27-2003, 12:27 AM
BlackHawks had it And eleminates the cable only. Good but not worth the mony for the application and is not interchangable with the helm for the external.

RickSE
02-27-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks Guys,

That's exactly what I was looking for.

Now I just have to decide if I should go for it or not. I guess you only live once.

CDMA
02-27-2003, 11:16 AM
You only live once and hydraulic steering makes you live longer :) :)