PDA

View Full Version : 5 Blade prop

MOP
05-16-2003, 10:22 PM
Anyone ever try with one of these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2415628205&category=26456 looking at the specs on this it looks like a speed wheel. Any input?

What happened to two blade wheels, they ran faster than three's on the stuff I used to play with years back.

smokediver
05-17-2003, 08:07 AM
MOP, these props are primarily for quick hole shots.. a lot of my friends with flats boats run them... I don't think you would be happy with it...

MOP
05-17-2003, 08:12 AM
I agree too many blades for me, like I said I years back ran two blades, real slow hole shot but faster on top end. Would our little Donzi's be a bit faster up top with 2 instead of 3 and 4?

Tomahawk
05-17-2003, 08:21 AM
More blades are generally slower in a submerged condition. Phil, I too am of the age when I used to run a two blade bronze prop on my little hydro. When we first introduced Honda outboards to the US, in 1973, they came with a two blade prop. The motors ran very smoothly but people complained that they would rattle the rivits out of an aluminum boat. Quickly switched to 3-blade props. A one blade prop would be most sfficient but, good grief! eek! Three blades seem to be the best compromise for most applications. Surface piercing is another game.

Magic Float
05-17-2003, 09:02 AM
The high five works great in some applications. My close friend has an 86 Z25,454 Mag,alpha drive,he went thru 3 drives under warranty till Merc told him no more help,he is running a high five now, no more problems in 5 years. Apparantly it reduces the stress on the drive getting on plane and saves the gears.Great for family skiboats too, the key is the application. It is not for top end speed.

olemissalum
05-17-2003, 09:58 AM
Mercury has a new prop coming out called the Maximus that is a 5 blade and looks very promising. Powerboat magazine did a test and the top end was not even 1/2 mile an hour slower than thier 4 blade bravo now. But the midrange, bottom end and cruise was substantially improved. They are starting out with just 32 and 30 pitch versions this summer but will soon start making more.

roadtrip se
05-18-2003, 06:22 PM
I tried the Hydro P5 last fall in a 30 and 26 inch pitch. The 30 was left-handed and wanted to torque the boat over, not to mention driving in reverse making things interesting around the docks.

The 26 picked the boat up out of the water and accelerated like crazy. Very impressive. But the top end was 5-6 below my mirage plus and 2-3 below my Hydro Quad4. The motor also had an easy to hear growl generating the extra torque to turn it.

I can't imagine the Mercury product would act that much different than the Hydro, but we will have to try one, once they get into a pitch that I can turn!

Todd

MOP
05-18-2003, 08:11 PM
1955 put my first two blade prop on my home made 8 foot pointy flat bottom, my adaptation of a hydro that damn near sunk each time before going on plane it had a two cylinder Merc (Did I say Merc) yup was my outboard of choice for many years. Back then the only wheels we could find were bronze or aluminum. It seems like every time you turn around the props keep changing, the first time I saw a set of Rollas I thought dumb looking wheel and over 4k in price, but 5 blades all bent to hell and work like magic on the big boats. Elephant ear Volvos are another that surprised me looked like a fan but ran real well. Hope most of us are around for the next evolution!