PDA

View Full Version : 22 classic with a 454 Alpha - opinions?

Donzi Matt
05-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Hi guys. I posted a few days ago about a 22 classic I was looking into. I guess I should clarify the info I am looking for. Will the boat be in the 60's? I am not looking to race the boat, just looking for an under 20 grand donzi classic 22 to tool around lake Winni on. I would like to see 65 if I could in optimum conditions. I am not into holeshots and I don't enjoy taking boats out of the water. So, I guess my question is, will this 454 alpha boat be reliable if treated with respect? The boat does have a brand new quicksilver outdrive due to an unfortunate meeting with a rock. The engine has an edelbrock intake, holley carb, and an MSD ignition system, all of which look to have been installed cleanly and properly. I suppose a water test will probably answer all of these questions, but it never hurts to get some insight from the gurus.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Dr. Dan
05-16-2003, 08:58 AM
wink Matt....You are in good company up there....get ahold of the Winni Bandits....and have some of them give you their opinion on it if it is local. Woodsy,Culotta,Walleye,...many more live up that way and could assist you in the boats diagnosis! As for the speed...my guess is if it is in good shape and you take heed to not abusing the drive as others have suggested...you will be fine! I think you will see upper 50's to mid to low 60's. Reality is that you may never see those sustained speeds up there anyway....unless it's really calm....we boat on the Chesapeake and it is rough at times also...we rarely go over 50mph...the charm of the Classic is there....if the Boat is "Clean" buy it...you can always do some convert/repower or upgrade existing components! Good Luck...hope to see you out there during the Winnie Poker Run... :cool: ...Doc

Barry Phillips
05-16-2003, 03:16 PM
454 22s seem to be a hot topic lately, and once again look for a 454Mag / Bravo set up if you want to see 65mph. 22s are just to heavy for small blocks and the 300 and 310 big blocks have weak bottom ends for future modifications. Remember bigger is better in the marine world so look for a 454Mag or a 502, Bravo equiped boat, be patient you woun't regret it. I do not know anyone who tools arround in a Donzi Classic, these boats are born to run, so get a strong drive train up front.

SO-SLO