PDA

View Full Version : New Message Board Software

harbormaster
05-15-2003, 09:32 PM
I have a new Bulletin Board package that stores all posts in a database instead of text files (like the current BBS package we are using.
It is also alot faster. I will enhance its speed by archiving the older posts into a new table. This will speed up the board considerably.

Since I also have the source code I can also make very cool changes to it. I am currently writing a conversion package in order to import all the posts and member files into it.

I will also protect the Donzi Girls with a password. If someone wants access they have to ask someone.

I know I have asked this before, but, what would you like to see as far as features or enhancements?

What user info should I collect when people register?

Test drive it here: http://www.wirez.com/forums/index2.cfm

Stay tuned....

MOP
05-15-2003, 10:11 PM
I don't know how you find the time, a big Thanks!

oldLenny
05-15-2003, 10:25 PM
That is MUCH!!! quicker. I like it! Nice one.

TuxedoPk
05-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Scott,

I'm glad you put up this post; I was going to convert the site and put you in as Sysop as a surprise.

Before you get too deep into this, I think that vBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/) will offer our members a bit more.

My second choice would be what Cigarette is using, Snitz (http://forum.snitz.com/forum/)

Of course, we'll have the ability to customize the look/feel/graphics on any of them.

** I just realized, there are now 2 DonziGirl Forums I don't have access to yet(Hint). Chris told me that if I bought 3 Donzis in a month you'd have to let me in wink

Thanks again for all your effort supporting this great resource.

I would recommend that we gather as much detail as people want to share, but more importantly, allow searching on it.

The area that is currently most lacking is the Registry itself. I was looking to see if anyone had a 1976 X-18 with a Donzi installed Jet. I had to click on every 18' boat. That was ugly.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with requiring good details for boat postings than for individuals. We should have fields for everything from power, to drive, to paint/gel, etc.

Additionally, I think that we should have a section for each of the earlier Donzi Models. This would include both links to pictures of that type, registry and otherwise, as well as a discussion thread.

As I've shared with you offline, I'm willing to lend a hand as well as a suggestion for more work.

harbormaster
05-16-2003, 03:49 AM
Tuxedo Thanks for your offer of help. I am pickie on what I farm out. I will ask for help when I need it.

I researched alot of message board packages before moving the board to the infopop product. Previously it was on Ultraboard which crashed alot.

I also have their newest UBBthreads product. It is the one that ORACLE, the discovery channel, and many more large companies use.

Yes. There are lots of other bulletin board packages out there. As with UBB threads most of them use PHP and MySQL. A real pain for me to support. Snitz did catch my eye. I am currently looking on how easy it is to customize.

DonziGirl Forums access?Do you have a donzi girl photo you can post for acess? :D

Thanks again for all your effort supporting this great resource.Thanks!

I would recommend that we gather as much detail as people want to share, but more importantly, allow searching on it.
Be specific on every field you think we should have.

The area that is currently most lacking is the Registry itself. I was looking to see if anyone had a 1976 X-18 with a Donzi installed Jet. I had to click on every 18' boat. That was ugly.I usually add what people ask for in the registry section. That is a very simple addition. You are the first to ask for this. What else is "lacking" in this section?

Personally, I'd be more concerned with requiring good details for boat postings than for individuals. We should have fields for everything from power, to drive, to paint/gel, etc. No "etc.s" allowed! Be specific on every field you think we should have.

Additionally, I think that we should have a section for each of the earlier Donzi Models. This would include both links to pictures of that type, registry and otherwise, as well as a discussion thread.The section for all the models already exists but will not be a component of the Bulletin Board.

Donzigo
05-16-2003, 08:11 AM
Very nice format.

Me likie.

Richard

krakmeup
05-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Very fast, clean and sharp. Nice work, Scot! Thanks for all your efforts - will ponder on registry fields and try to add constructively.....

Ed Donnelly
05-16-2003, 08:46 PM
Faster for sure. Do you sit up at night trying to figure out what you can do with the extra 5 min of your day that isn't already crammed with too many things to do??? Ed

TuxedoPk
05-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Scott,

I just uploaded a pic of my Donzi Girl.
Are you happy? :D

JimG
05-17-2003, 06:09 AM
Scot, great job! This site rocks!

On the registry: I, too, would like to see more sorts with a picture filter. In other words: if I wanted to see all 1966-1970 18's with photos, I's simply fill in the search criteria and boom, there they are!

Keep up the good work!

Jim

MOP
05-17-2003, 08:03 AM
As usual you keep things ticking along really well and for sure it is well appreciated.
One thing I think would be nice to get hold of is picture upload software. I load photos on my commercial sites with just a browse and click. We may need another collection to get some $$ for you to play with. Why a pass worded Donzi Girls, you have to let people in? Or can it be hacked?

TuxedoPk
05-18-2003, 08:53 AM
MOP- Yes, the Donzi girl site can be easily hacked; Harbormaster and I both have security backgrounds and discussed it offline.

I wouldn't hack a site I don't have w/o authorization (and compensation wink ), especially not a community site like this one, yet Harbormaster still hasn't given me access after receiving MYDONZI girl pic. What do you think?
http://www.trackon.edu/donzi/mydonzigirl.gif

Granted, it's been a bad year :confused:

harbormaster
05-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Richard V,

Call me on my phone. 713-898-0605
I have something to say to you.

Oh yeah. I bet you 50 bucks :D you cannot get the donzi girls password on the development site.
Take you best shot.

MOP,
The Donzi girls are controlled access because some folks did not want their kids to see it.
Since most people stay logged in, their kids can still see it.

Also do not sweat hacking. Any password can be hacked eventually. But eventually could mean 20 or more computers working 24 hrs a day for 2 years or more. By the time they hack it you have changed your password at least 20 times. how secure do you want to be?

In comparison any vault/house/business can be broken into. Depends on how much money/time you are willing to spend to defeat the countermeasures. If you have to spend 1 million dollars to steal 1 million, it is not worth it.

Scot

MOP
05-18-2003, 09:39 PM
That makes sense, I would think 50-60 maybe more % of the guys have kids. :)

Silver Streak
05-19-2003, 07:40 AM
Scot,

First thing I grab when I log in is "Today's Active Topics". Makes life a little easier for the dial up types (like me)to catch up. The change to 24 hour basis, rather than calendar day basis, was a very helpful one. Would certainly miss this feature if it was no longer available.

Rick