PDA

View Full Version : Cost to install...Is this reasonable?

HyperDonzi
05-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Talked to a F1 team down the road, F1-07, Mutual Fun about installing some new Vortec heads, Intake manifold, all of the gaskets with those and a 4V carb. He said they could install them (I plan to buy all new things, so no machine work) for 300-400$ if I helped out. Is that a good price? He will make sure it all runs right also.

And what are you 4.3 Vortec 16's prop sizes and top RPM?

Thanks,
Tommy

MOP
05-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Tommy if I remember correctly you had High hours on that engine, is that correct? Last you left off the boat was running really well, Yes? Honest if it were me I would save the money on those mods for your next low hour boat, most of us motor heads don't like bringing up the compression on older motors as they usually end up with blow by and burn oil. I'd run what you have. My 2 cents!

P.S. If they take it apart and put it back together thats not bad!

HyperDonzi
05-16-2003, 04:21 PM
somewhere around 1500. There is a bit of blue smoke when I start it, but after its warmed up, the smoke stops. Is that signs of bad valve stem seals?

MOP
05-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Tommy with that many hours I would not upgrade the heads, it will be an oil burner. The disapearing smoke does sound like guide seals. You might get it to slow down by changing them, but is it worth it. Have to remove covers pressurize each cylinder remove valve springs to change them. Why not keep building your money supply and get a whole engine. I have seen some pretty cheap prices on V6 Vortecs. Or do the whole deal and rebuild yours with the new V heads, maybe a cam and 4 barrel.

HyperDonzi
05-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I will look for a Vortec 4.3 without exhaust and mounts.