PDA

View Full Version : Trim in throttle???

olemissalum
05-15-2003, 06:28 PM
I would like to add a trim switch for the outdrive since it is awkward to remove hand from throttle to trim the drive in and out. I think I have Gaffrig Zero Effort controls on my 26ZX, has anyone done this and how do they work? I would like the clampo on style but not sure where to get one. Thanks for any info

HyperDonzi
05-15-2003, 06:35 PM
I think you can just order the Gaffrig throttle with a trim button already on it. Not sure about the site.

Tommy

MOP
05-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Did a search found one for you, scroll down near bottom!

http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Controls/201.asp

olemissalum
05-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks M.O.P. I wonder if these are difficult to install and where the wires would run? Down the handle?? Will call them tomorrow for some more info.

Donzi Matt
05-15-2003, 09:30 PM
I had the kiekhafer zero effort controls on my 26 sonic and did not see the wires at all. I believe my brother-in-law has the gafrig zero efforts on his 29 fountain and the wires are not exposed either. I don't know if the handles are pre-wired or not. It may be one of those things where you have to change the whole throttle control.

MOP
05-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Looked at an add on switch similar to the one on that site, the wires came out the bottom off the witch and down the back side of the handle they were inside a half round piece of plastic tubing neatly wire tied. Looked decent, the wire went into the bolster below ths contoll.

olemissalum
05-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Already on the way via UPS, thanks again M.O.P

MOP
05-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Glad to help, I think those foot switches were cool also.

Ed Donnelly
05-16-2003, 07:58 PM
I run the foot trim on my Criterion and prefer it over the throttle and steering systems. Its all just personal taste and comfort...Ed

MOP
05-16-2003, 08:22 PM
It looks like a hot item for the really quick boats.

Donzigo
05-17-2003, 10:28 AM
I ordered a trim in controls set-up from Gaffrig. The wiring was a snap. Just run the rocker and in throttle control wires to a buss bar. Good luck. :cool:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Olemis
Mine is the Gaffrig just like yours but has trim in handle color matched.
My wire pairs to the dash back up if I am not mistaken.
It is a $200ish dollar option from Donzi new so it should be a cheap add on.
Bryan

olemissalum
05-17-2003, 02:38 PM
Well CP Performance called today and they do not offer it in white, only polished. Bryan, are these Gaffrig controls or Zero Effort Controls??? Still searching now as I wanted the white to match the sticks I have now.
Bryan, got my new prop from Throttle-Up, now if it will ever stop raining I can try it out, have you run yours yet???

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-17-2003, 02:52 PM
OLEMIS
Mine are Zero Effort, Gaffrig, on their website.
Came from Donzi, matching red at top by button.
They are easy to install from what I have read.

New Prop too, mine is ready, I just know it is what I need. I want to actually loose a few RPM's and stay of the rev limiter and increase mid range, we will compare notes for sure.

What type of drive trim indicators do you have? Mechanical or electric? Mine is electric.
Bryan

olemissalum
05-17-2003, 04:28 PM
electric indicator. I thought Zero Effort controls was a Mercury name??? I am sure we have the same ones so I guess mine are Gaffrig also then. Will compare notes for sure. I will not have a chance to take the boat until the end of the month though :( got a camping trip planned to Center Hill Lake in TN that weekend so will post results then.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
05-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Sounds good. After the above post I will pick mine up in a couple days and test the new prop this weekend.
I ask about the trim gauge to compare where you are trimmed at WOT on the new prop.
9 o'clock on the gauge is trimmed out for me.
Bryan