PDA

View Full Version : Need help on stringer

farmer tx
02-25-2003, 11:23 AM
While cleaning the bildge on my 22-c I thought it would be a good time to check everything out. Well the stringer drains looked like they lost thier lamination. So I cleaned them up and noticed moisture in the wood.
Using a half round rasp I cleaned the area and
dug out some rot and put heat lamps near
the holes overnight.
My question is what do I do now?
Just fill with resin and reseal it, or use wood to
fill in the void and then reseal.
The void measures about 5/8"x1 1/2".

Thanks,
http://www.donzi.net/photos/mhorne22503.jpg

krakmeup
02-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Pescoe is an avid surveyor with his own website on big boats and their construction.

The link below will take you to some good info, but here is the summary (described for installing a seacock):

The first thing is to remove the core from the immediate area where the sea cock or whatever will be installed. This is done from the interior. Let's say, for example, that you are going to install a sea cock that has a 2" diameter foot print. You'll need to remove about a 6" square of inner laminate and core. There are a variety of means to do this, depending on working space available. Usually a die or angle grinder with abrasive cutting disc will work fine in tight spaces. Cut through the inner laminate only and remove the square of inner skin only. Next, cut out the core with a knife in a circular shape. The reason for this is that is necessary to relaminate and completely seal up the exposed areas of the core. It's a lot easier laminating the rounded corners than it is a square one.

Next, using an 80 grit grinding pad on a very small grinder, you smooth out all surfaces in preparation for closing up the exposed edges, keeping in mind that the laminating surfaces must be absolutely clean, and the bottom of the hole must be flat.

There are several ways to finish up here. The method I prefer is to use a high quality marine epoxy paste and 2 or 4 oz. Cloth. Don't use mat because you'll end up with a big mess. Trowel the paste heavily onto the edges of the core, working it into the cells and rounding out the corners at the bottom. Use more rather than less epoxy. It will help to round over the top corner of the expose foam. Then I cut the cloth to the appropriate size -- meaning about a 1" overlap each onto the inner skin and outer skin, and then press these strips into the wet epoxy completely around the circumference of the cut out. Following this, you then trowel the remainder of the epoxy paste onto the outer side of the fabric, making sure that there are no holes or gaps, and then smooth it out. I use latex gloves and smear the epoxy around with my fingers. Note here that you must use fresh two part epoxy for this job, not old stuff that has become thick and stiff.

This method will ensure that there is no chance that water will leak into the core, because you have completely sealed it off. Once it's cured, come back with the grinder and smooth out irregularities.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/dealing_with_leaks.htm

MOP
02-25-2003, 01:36 PM
From the picture the wood looks decent, but that can fool you. It being exposed to air will dry fairly quick and not show of any rot till the rot creeps from the non visable areas that may have stayed wet. Can you borrow a moisture meter? If so check its entire length. Also have you tapped it its entire length? If it tap's solid and check out on meter no sweat. Get it real dry, get some West System and follow directions for thinning, get it really thin. Brush it on in 30 minute cycles to allow it to soak, till it quits soaking up. Then apply atleast two normal consistancy coats on top. Do not worry about small Delam it will not go anywhere and will be re-glued when done. Most all boats have wet limber holes, it is a real good idea to seal any you can get at. Last but not least Mask off area you will make a mess, its nice to wrinkle it up and throw it away. Clean up can be a Horror!

farmer tx
02-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Just did a search and came up with rotdoctor.com, and was wondering if anyone has tried any of their products?
Thanks,

Scott Pearson
02-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Mark,
I'd get rid of the boat ASAP as cheap as you can. I will open the offer up for say......$500.00 :D

Thats nothing.....Do what MOP say's....it will be fine. If you want to see some rot....come look at my Hornet. Not one section of wood is any good.

(NJ)Scott