PDA

View Full Version : Do these look familiar?

David Ochs
05-14-2003, 11:38 PM
These are the "sockets" for the bow supporting the taunau cover on my '69. What I'm trying find out is what the male end(the ones attached to the bow)looks like. The aft socket is deeper than the forward one. These have been on the boat forever, so I'm hoping someone might still have them and possibly have a picture. This is my second attempt at posting a picture, my fingers are crossed. Thanks a lot.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACFB2D.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/ACFB2F.jpg

oldLenny
05-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Nice looking boat and hardware...sorry, bit I am of no help here. I have what you have and not the other either.

Dr. Dan
05-15-2003, 05:35 AM
wink Guys....I have not seen that hardware before ....but I would be willing to guess that they are for a Tonneau Cover Center Rod to go Front to Back to keep the Center Taught and elevated?....Just a guess :cool: ...Doc

MOP
05-15-2003, 07:01 AM
No clue either but why not have some heavy S/S ends bent up and rivet them to fiber glass batten. Oh and highly polish them to match tha fine Jewel!

mattyboy
05-15-2003, 07:32 AM
David ,
I have the same hardware on my 16, I was told that the stern part of the strut had a metal bracket on the end to give it the 90 degree angle
to fit in,
I have to say your hardware looks alot better than mine, wink I have not been able to find that strut, and as I look at my cover I don't think it was made with that strut in mind.
DR Dan is right It was intended to to keep the cover taught front to back , and the other was to keep it taught side to side, as I figure one must be taller than the other where they meet, and I would imagine the cover must have more slack in it then mine cause i have only the side to side strut
this member might have the answer look at the pics
http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=415

Matt

Ranman
05-15-2003, 08:05 AM
Did you try Built-Rite? Maybe Bob has seen or knows of the required parts...

boldts
05-15-2003, 08:38 AM
Usually, the actual support piece fits right into the front dash chrome item. In most cases, you normally have the same type of chrome item for the other end of the support. It looks like someone did it just a bit different on your Classic.

I see 2 ways to fix the back seat part of your support to work with what is currently installed in the back.

1. Make or buy an L bracket at the hardware store. Cut it down to the width of the slot in the top of your back seat chrome piece. You'll need the part of the L bracket that is going to attach to the support piece to be longer so that when you bolt it to the support piece, the bolts clear the pretty chrome piece mounted to your back seat wall.

2. Have an engineer or someone better than I at metal works, design and build a piece like the front support bracket only with a tab on the bottom to fit into the current back bracket.

Or, eliminate both brackets and have a snap installed in your toneu cover and buy an adjustable support pole to be placed in the center of the cover giving it the arch it needs to keep the water from puddling.

turbo2256
05-15-2003, 08:52 AM
mine had about the same hardware. the support for the cockpit cover was an aluminum tube with the ends flattened and bent 90 degrees. Dont know if this was the factory setup or not. Some one said the fittings for the rod ends were missing.Forester marine hardware still make them.

David Ochs
05-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Turbo, I looked on web for "Forester Marine", no luck. Do you know how I can contact them. Are they a retailer?

DOND
05-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Dave, I also have a 69' 16. Everything on it was original when I bought it. It also came with an
aluminum tube (2 peices joined with a sleeve). The ends were crimped flat and bent down to 90 degrees.
Don

turbo2256
05-15-2003, 10:23 AM
Mine was perty much orig also so maybe thats the way it was done.

Forrest
05-15-2003, 10:33 AM
DOND and turbo2256 are correct. It's a home made looking, two-piece 3/4" dia aluminum tube with the ends flattened and bent at 90-degrees. The two pieces fit together using a three-inch piece of aluminum rod that has a slightly smaller diameter than the tubes' inside diameter. The rod that mates the two tubes is pop riveted about an inch-and-a-half into the end of one of the tubes.

David Ochs
05-15-2003, 06:21 PM
Okay, thanks everyone. I was expecting something more sophisticated! I'll quite being so anal about it and stick with what I've got. The end.

Ralph Savarese
05-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Dave I have the same set up but took mine off My father bought this boat new in 66 never had a tube or bar for it.I never new what they were for so i removed them when I restored it.