View Full Version : Donzi & Harley Davidson

Mark Albers
04-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Donzi Aficionados eek!

I was in Daytona today on a business deal
I noticed at the local Harley dealer a Hummer with the Donzi logo on it

Is this a new partnership ???

Mark 311 :cool:
Sarasota - - - W F O (when passion rules the game I get on the water and learn to play)

oldLenny
04-25-2002, 11:25 PM
I hope not!!! Harley and Donzi are like Oil and Water.

Ferrari and Donzi,...Ducati and Donzi,...maybe

JP BRESCIA
04-26-2002, 08:34 AM
Oil and water? Lenny.. Is there some history I am unaware of? I would think they might draw the same type of crowd. Heavy ride. Lots of c.i.'s and proud to make noise. :D

Digger
04-26-2002, 08:39 AM
I beg to differ. Harley's and Donzi's are a good match-

A Harley and a Donzi share the following:
--both are American classics.
--both are powerful, and usually loud.
--they both make an undeniable statement.
--both are sought after by those who appreciate the uniqueness and aura that comes with owning one...as in, "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand"

--not that I'm biased, of course :D
(93 FLH, two tone victory red, S&S, EV3 cam, thunderheaders, PM wheels, rotors and brakes)

Jake
04-26-2002, 08:42 AM
I agree with JP 100%. Big V motors that make noise and look good. :D

pmreed
04-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Donzi and Harley...American Classics bred for a particular purpose. Ferrari and Riva...Italian Classics bred for a purpose. I'd like to have at least one of each in my stable; they'd coexist very happily together!!

Phil

waleyetwo
04-26-2002, 05:56 PM
yes i must say harley and donzi :) yes that works.

mbonafide
04-26-2002, 10:58 PM
The pace boat in daytona is a 38ZR in Harley trim.

ToonaFish
04-27-2002, 12:10 AM
An oldie, but a goodie...

Arthur Davidson of the Harley Davidson Motorcycle Corporation, died and went to heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur, "Since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is, you can hang out with anyone you want in heaven." Arthur thought about it for a minute and then said, "I want to hang out with God."

St. Peter took Arthur to the Throne Room, and introduced him to God. Arthur then asked God, "Hey, aren't you the inventor of 'woman'?"

God said, "Ah, yes."

"Well," said Arthur, "professional to professional, you have some major design flaws in your invention:
1. There's too much inconsistancy in the front-end protrusion.
2. It chatters constantly at high speeds.
3. Most of the rear ends are too soft and wobble too much.
4. The intake is placed way too close to the exhaust, and finally,
5. The maintenance costs are outrageous."

"Hmmm, you may have some good points there," replied God, "hold on." God went to his super celestial computer, typed in a few words, and waited for the results. The computer printed out a slip of paper and God read it.

"Well, it may be true that my invention is flawed," God said to Arthur, "but according to these numbers, more men are riding my invention than yours."

JimG205
04-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Harley and Donzi-Icons,beauties,classics,Sex appeal,charisma-and MADE IN AMERICA-Do I make my point!!!!! Jim

JP BRESCIA
04-27-2002, 11:30 AM
LOL.. :D :D Toona.... Great joke. Never heard it and in no way could I repeat it acurately.

oldLenny
04-27-2002, 11:35 AM
We've been through this once before about a year and a half ago. Here's some other interesting opinions.

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000356

bigman
04-27-2002, 09:46 PM
I've an 86 Tourglide (FLTC): I use it to pull my 18-2+3 to the lake.Trust me they look great together. Bigman

Shanghied Again
04-28-2002, 08:30 AM
I will also disagree, If you go to any dry pit area at a race, Most of the race teams drive around on there Harleys, That is a great match. Just like Pantera matching up with Dodge Motorsports and a Viper v-10 motor in a 28, I think Donzi should also look at Chevrolet to have a Corvette Donzi and a Monte Carlo Nascar pace car with Donzi on them!

PaulO
04-29-2002, 10:55 AM
Hey Lenny,
Although I can't understand why you haven't gotten a boat yet, I must admit I am with you on this one. Harleys are for people who have never really ridden a performance bike. Once you do, either you scare yourself and you love it or, you go back to your Harley and hope that looking cool is enough. Start the nasty responses!!!
PaulO

mattyboy
04-29-2002, 11:13 AM
I think harley and donzi are a good match, both have unique styling,sound,aura.
bass boats and performance bike match both extrememly fast and noisey( like a lawn mower on steroids) and I would not want one :D
I don't think Donzi compare well with foreign sport cars,Donzi are very reliable hence my 1968 16 run her hard put her away wet and she 's ready to go the next day. A ferrari or lamboghini need to see a tech for a week after a run, too tempermental for me.

Matt

Craig
04-29-2002, 11:33 AM
Just my two cents -- Somebody at Donzi (or their ad people) thought Donzi and Harley's were a good match along with a Leer Jet as they had a magazine ad for the Classic 16 that showed one setting beside a Harley and a Leer Jet a few years ago. It was a cool ad. I work with a guy who is a Harley nut and I kid him about them all the time. Like just yesterday I heard: Know why they call them Harley's??? Beacause they "harley" run! Just kidding you Harley lovers. Joking and razzing my co-worker aside, I think they are very cool. Just can't see paying $11,000 per wheel!!!!

riverrat
04-29-2002, 04:30 PM
$11,000.00 a wheel is cheap! I've got $27,000.00 in a '01 Road King. It's worth every penny. I've had them all Valkerie, V-max, 1100 Kaw 750 honda to name a few. Love the Harley for what it does'nt do as much as what it does. Kinda like my
300hp '18 Donzi. I find it's always a money thing with most people that don't like a Harley. Ride one for awhile before you judge one. I don't know anyone who has had one that did'nt like it..
OFF the soap box....sd :D :D

PaulO
04-30-2002, 08:34 AM
I've owned three although 2 were sportsters so don't really count ( I don't think Harley guys even consider them Harleys). Amazing that I could make that mistake twice. The third was a lowrider. I have ridden many more than I owned. Maybe I just don't get it. The unbelieveable rush of acceleration, incredible stopping power, and turns that get the adrenaline pumping - that is what riding a motorcycle is about to me. Closest thing to flying without leaving the ground. Can't do that on a Harley or even one of the japanese cruisers for that matter. Want to look cool? Go to the gym, lose the beer gut, the tail, and the wallet on a chain, shave your back and look good beaching your Donzi!!!!

Crazy Horse
05-02-2002, 11:24 AM
I compared Harley and Donzi on this site a couple of years ago and got flamed. I still think that they are very similar. I would also add BMW (cars) to the list and Fender Stratocaster guitars. Here's Donzi Trish on the Fat Boy we used to have.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jtotaro001010.jpg

Woodsy
05-02-2002, 12:22 PM
You guys are way off base..... The unbelievable rush of acceleration? The incredible stopping power? You cannot possibly be talking about a Harley... its more like the fat ugly girl that everyone wants to ride because shes easy and everybody else is riding one. Harleys are heavy, underpowered farm tractors cleverly disguised as motorcycles, that vibrate parts off when you ride down the road. The oil leaks out when you park them (some people think the bike is just marking its territory). They all look and sound remarkably the same as every other Harley. Then there is the incredible amout of logo clothes & accessories you have to buy, just to look like a "Harley" owner, oh ya, I can't forget all that chrome.... gotta have lots of chrome... so that fat chick that rides on the back looks skinny in the reflection....

This compares to Donzi how? Donzi's are a sleek, fast, loud, turn on a dime, classic hotrod boat. I do not see any of those qualities in a Harley....

I suppose, I do have to confess, I always said when Harley made a product that could, stop, turn, and accelerate that I would buy one.... Harley never made that product.... but BUELL did.... too bad for them, they are a division of the motor company.... but she compares more to Donzi than a Harley does. She's a sleek, fast, loud, corner carving, classic hotrod bike. She gets looks and comments wherever she is parked, and most importantly, there are not millions of them around, being ridden by RUB wannabee bikers. (RUB= Rich Urban Biker) Unfortunately, she still goes back to her farm tractor roots and drops parts every now and then... Every time you take her out, you have to preflight the bike, so she doesn't preflight you. But she is sexy as hell and fun to ride.... just like my Donzi!!

Woodsy :D :D

PaulO
05-02-2002, 02:13 PM
Woodsy,
I was referring to Japanese sport bikes when I talked of acceleration and stopping power. You and I are on the same track.
PaulO

Jake
05-02-2002, 05:02 PM
Paulo,
The beauty of riding a Harley is that you have nothing to prove. But, when it's necessary you should see the look on the faces of the guys on the sport bikes around here when they try and take my buddy with his night train. They see nothing but tail lights. He has never been asked so many times, what do you have in that thing. Just like I have read many times around here. ie. Frank C and Geoo.

Tidbart
05-02-2002, 05:08 PM
You guys are brutal. Harley is just a sponsor, as is Featherlite Motorhomes. Do you want to compare Donzis to those also? I do admit they are nice. I was on one at the races in Daytona last weekend. It went for 1.4, we are talking millions. Are we in good company?

PaulO
05-03-2002, 02:18 PM
Madpoodle,
Pehaps you just explained it all! Harleys are for looking at and sport bikes are for riding.
Thanks,
PaulO
P.S. As long as you and the missus are happy with your manhhod that is all that counts. I would prefer not to see it!!!!

Looped
05-03-2002, 03:20 PM
I’ve always thought of Donzis being compatible to Ferraris both with their sleek lines :D

http://www.donzi.net/photos/cringer010104.jpg

But HD will always be fine in my book too.

Craig

Formula Jr
05-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Harleys are nice bikes, I love the VR 1000 and the old Cafe Racer, but put a Harley next to a Yam V-Max, performance wise, and there is no comparison. Harleys don't pop wheelies at 60 MPH.
Though Donzis are American, they are more of the Italian school of design. The mission of these boat is well defined. Go Fast in three footers, Comfortably, in style. Every thing you touch in a Donzi is a delight as on a Harley. Donzi was, and now is again, about innovation. Harley is committed to making the same bikes till the cows come home. The evolution engine was a start but not a real breakthrough. Both companies had their BAD era. With Harley it was AMF. With Donzi it was OMC. The main difference is Donzi is back to experimenting with different designs: Harley will never, and to some degree, can't expand its line up.

Harley never made anything remotely similar in land use, to what a Donzi does or is. A Donzi is an All Terrain Boat. Like a Jeep or a Four Wheeler or a Dual-Purpose bike. When you see these guys racing, it isn't flat track or Daytona. Its Scrabbles, MX, dirt bike racing. Willy G. will have you believe that, you "get it" or you don't. When I see an assorized Harley, most of the time, I just shake my head. Its more culture than function. Willy, I get it, and no I'm not buying a stupid Harley cigarette lighter.