PDA

View Full Version : 454 Mag questions

Donzi Matt
05-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi guys, I am a brand new member to this board as I am getting ready to take a water test in what could be my first Donzi. It is an 87 22 Classic with a 454 Mag and a brand new alpha 1 drive. My questions mostly revolve around the motor, but I also want to know what I should look for as a potential trouble spot on this boat. As for the motor, is the 454 mag and alpha set up reliable in this boat? Also, what differentiates the mag with the 300 horse 454? Also, what separates it from the 1988 454 mag motor? What kind of speeds could I expect from this boat? Are mid to high 60's attainable? I appreciate any help you guys can give me as I don't want my first donzi experience to be a bad one. Thanks in advance

Matt Burns

Ranman
05-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Matt,

First, welcome to the board. In all honesty, an Alpha One in front of a big block is not the most desirable setup. Most 22 Classics are equipped with Bravos. That being said, there are several mambers here who have them and are quite pleased with them. An Alpha boat is not a bad boat per se, just don't overpay for it. If the 454 is one of the 310-330HP models, you should be OK so long as you're not too hard on the drive. This means no full throttle take-offs and caution when flying her off the waves. The unloading and loading of an Alpha when it leavs the water can be it's worst enemy. These points are extra important if the 454 is the 385HP version (which would indicate a repower with a late model Multi-port FI engine). The Alpha One is generally rated at 300HP, but again, there are folks here who put more than that through them.

For speed, if it's the 330HP variety, I would expect low 60's, say 60-62ish. This is just a ballpark number. The 385HP models will get you into the upper 60's (65-67).

Other members will surely chime in here with more accurate information. Good luck on your pursuit of a Donzi. If the one you are mentioning does not pan out, keep looking. There are plenty of great Donzi's out there and you won't be disappointed.

Air 22
05-13-2003, 10:26 PM
"Welcome to the jungle...we got fun and games"

You will find most if not all your answers here at this site. wink

I'm running a 1995 454MAG w/ a BRAVO 1 drive. The boat came stock w/ this drive at 385hp. I'm 400+ on HP w/ some upgrades and wouldn't have anything less than a Bravo Drive. Bravo's are safe up to the 500hp range depending on driver etc. If you plan on increasing your HP look for a Bravo Drive now! wink You will tear up an Alpha drive in no time w/ much more power than you have now. If your just cruising not planning on 70,80mph plus, don't hammer the power your Alpha will be fine. Plan accordingly...these toys ain't cheap to play with so have a budget and plan on spending $$ when u least expect it. If you locate your block # or have the original owners paper work you can read the serial and or eng number to find out exactly what power she has. I believe your at 330 if its a 1986 eng but the only way to tell is to find the stamped number on the block. :)

also make sure you have a SAFE tow vehicle and trailer if ya plan on hauling eek! don't over load w/ small suv.. your looking at 5000lbs +- a few lbs. Looking fwd to seeing ya out there. Check the calender for events :D

Barry Phillips
05-15-2003, 03:43 PM
The 454 mags have a forged crank, stronger rods and better heads. The 310s are not easly modified. I know a guy who modified a 310 hp 454 for a 24' Checkmate and the crank wasn't up to the task. He ended up building a new motor, the Alpha did not live long either. If you want to get more top end out of a 310 you will end up repowering, don't even think about an Alpha on a big block. I would not order one on a 350 mag for that matter. I am running a Bravo on my 350 rated at 250 hp.

SO-SLO

Donzigo
05-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Check out the various other 454/Alpha posts on the board. We have gotten a number of these inquirys recently.

The 454/300-330HP w Alpha appeared first in 1986/1987. I had one. The first Alpha drives had the 1:30 to 1 gear ratios. If it has the 1:50 to 1, then you're fine, given you treat it like the above posts suggest. The Alpha is a good drive; but, it's just not quite up to the torque a 454 can require.

Great site, so
Get in
Sit down
Buckle up
Get ready to have some fun on the board! wink