PDA

View Full Version : 502 EFI starting question

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-23-2003, 01:47 PM
I started the boat today for the first time since the new exhaust and all new tune up parts over the winter.
Initially she would not start, but had spark. I had replaced the Dist Cap, rotor, plugs etc.
Pulled the cap, reset the rotor, put cap back on.
Second start attempt, she fired but I had to give her a tad of throttle, then she ran fine, like she always does. Ran her on the hose for about 5 minutes at 1200 rpm, shut her down, restarted fine immediately after shut down.

After 15 minutes, again, I had to give some throttle to get her to start.
She is low on fuel (1/8), it had an additive, could it of just been some moisture in the fuel lines causing the hard starting? If so, the second hard start is hard to explain.
Normally she starts instantaniously.
After this, I had no more problems, today...
Wondering how the first at sea test will go.
She sounded SWEET with the new exhaust and tips, a bit louder than normal, but I am happy.
We plan to boat first with the old prop and make sure all is in order before dialing in the new lab prop.
Living for spring........

Curious what you guys think about the starting.
Bryan

Greg Maier
02-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Bryan,
My 502 does the same thing in the cold. Takes 10 - 15 seconds or so of cranking for her to go. Although, I don't touch the throttle. I would imagine that the computer would inject the right amount of fuel for her to start, so I don't touch the throttle.

BUIZILLA
02-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Bryan, get a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge and screw it on the rail tap. Start it and record the rail pressure with and without the vacuum source (if it even has a vacuum bias source) without the source connected, the pressure will be 5-7 psi higher than with the bias source connected. At no point should it be below 28-30#, engine off. Yours may be a non-source regulator though.
Me thinks the regulator is bleeding down, possibly due to the additive, or another anomaly during storage. I wouldn't be tooo worried though.

J

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks, I think she will be fine, I will fill the tank with new gas next weeknd and see how she does.
Hopefully spring will arrive soon.
It sure was good to hear that sound we all love!
Bryan