PDA

View Full Version : Omc/bravo conversion? for Hp 500 or anyone

Robert Geoghegan
02-23-2003, 09:09 AM
I saw in a prior post where you converted a King Cobra drive to a Bravo. I understsand the hole patterns are the same for both OMC King Cobra and the Bravo. I'm considering purchasing a 24' performace boat which has the King Cobra. I have a Bravo Drive and Transom assembly allready.
1) Does the engine have to be removed to install the inner transom assembly?
2) Is the X dimmension the same or will I have to raise/lower the drive?
3) Was this as simple as just bolting it on?
4) What hidden surprises did you have?
Thanks for your anticipated response!
BOB G.

MOP
02-23-2003, 09:28 AM
What will you gain, the OMC has proven it Don't break and will handle 500hp. It was pointed out to me that the drive is a little longer putting the prop further back which usualy gives a little more speed. It has all the best features from Volvo and OMC, Volvo did invent the original drive and many are 20-30 years old and still running. IF you go black you may want to go back!

PS you will have to gut the transom, you can use the trim pump and figure ou the wiring but its all up hill! Why not run it and enjoy it.

Shanghied Again
02-23-2003, 09:54 AM
I think Bob is racing his boat and you can't use an OMC for that. Also the motor is a Mercruiser 500hp. The boat is the old White Lightning the boat was Dons old raceboat. Donzi/Magnum cross over. This time he will be going Black. When you race you need parts that are easy to get to!

Robert Geoghegan
02-23-2003, 10:12 AM
MOP,
The boat I'm looking at has a King Cobra, but the owner has never used used the boat since he has owned it. He will not vouche for the drive, but claims the engine is OK. I've got a Merc 502 and a Brand new drive in my garage. I'm not saying anything negative about the drive, it's just that I have some new equipment that I could trust. The drive will be for sale if I do the conversion! HP 500 apparently did a similar swap last year.
Frank,
My portable garage collapsed on my Magnum during the Blizzard causing some damage. I'm going to put the Magnum on hold and may purchase this other boat I'm looking at for this years race season.
Again, thanks for your response!
BOB G.

BigGrizzly
02-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Bob, just a though, the responces would be more accurate if the boat and intentions were stated at the begining then the answes would be more accurate. I too would have kept the Volvo under normal circumstances. Than what do I know I kept the old Merc trans in my Criterion.

Shanghied Again
02-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Bb, How bad is the magnum?

MOP
02-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Hey if you have the goodies I would make the swap. I thought you were swapping for the sake of swapping. You did ask if you could leave the motor in which is a Not! We have swapped one it wa pretty easy and gave us a chance to get the box cleaned and painted up nice, we also fould the transom slightly wet but not soft so we heat lamped it and the thinned West System and soaked. The Cobra drive should draw a decent buck most guys are feeling good about the realiability. Your parts and prop selections are much better with the Merc.