PDA

View Full Version : Painting questions???

clayman
04-25-2002, 09:57 PM
Hey Guys,
I am getting closer to painting my classic, and need to know what everyones opinion is on paint. I am planning on bright white with either black or black pearl for the sides and stripe with a silver pinstripe. what is best? Awl grip, some other marine single stage , or am I better off with something like PPG Diamont acrylic urethane basecoat, clearcoat system? I am going for a very smooth no orange peel glossy paint job. I have used PPG several times in the past on car restorations. Also, what order do you paint in? cabin first, then deck, then stripe, then white sripe on side, then black on the side? It seems like it is going to be a bit tricky, how do you put a second or thrid coat in the cabin with out walking all over it? hang from the ceiling? Any advise is appreciated

Dr. Dan
04-25-2002, 11:02 PM
:D One Name - PEARSON :D

smokediver
04-26-2002, 05:31 PM
clayman, If you go single stage use ppg concept. it is much easier to use than awlgrip. if you go base clear use ppg dbu, or dbc with dcu clear. if you add pearl to the black you will change the color. you want to add pearl into the first coat of clear then straight clear over the top (tri-coat.)i spend my off duty days working at a ppg supplier.most of the marine painters are using concept but the dcu clear is very similar. I think scott used radiance 2 with luminesence pearl in the mid coat. radiance is dbc and i can tell you that dbu is much more forgiving than dbc as far as repairability is concerned.scott looks to have a lot of painting experience and could probably tell you more, dbc does flow out smoother.

Scott Pearson
04-27-2002, 06:47 AM
Clayman,
Give me a call tonight (732) 886-5498. Should be home around 7:00 or so. Leave a message where I can reach you if I'm not in.

Its alot to go over and I need to know just what you want to do. I worked for PPG for over 10 years. I'm sure I can answer any question you might have. Just finished Chris's boat with all PPG.

(NJ)Scott

clayman
04-27-2002, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the advise guys, scott, I will call you this weekend,
James