PDA

View Full Version : SEALANT vs. GASKET (actuators)

JP BRESCIA
04-25-2002, 05:40 PM
I am getting prepared to order my sport tabs for immediate install and want to be ready with all parts.

I previewed the video install instructions to mount the actuators to the transom and am uneasy with the recommended seal. They say to place a bead of "marine sealant" on the outer edge of the actuator-to-transom monting bracket and dip screws into marine epoxy.

or in the printable instructions, I should Apply waterproof sealant on surface around pipe nipples and screw holes, then dip screws in epoxy.

Using waterproof sealant alone makes me uneasy. I am thinking of using the mounting template and some type of gasket material and create a gasket sealant combo. I don't want an ugly bead of sealant gushing out of the mounting bracket.

Have any of you gone down this path? I am looking for suggestions as to what materials you used.

I'll sure I will get by but I am trying to live up to the standard of the board. Geoos new intake continues to distract my thoughts. :D :D

JP BRESCIA
04-25-2002, 05:42 PM
I cannot type or spell to save my a**. I will learn how to use spellcheck someday.

Donzified
04-25-2002, 07:15 PM
Have you thought about a backing plate on the inside with nuts and bolts?

RickR
04-25-2002, 07:47 PM
Use 3Ms 5200 Polyurathane sealant for anything below waterline. The 5200 is an adhesive also, so through bolting is unnessary for the actuators.
If you hit hard enough to break something the Trimmasters have a shear pin. On the Bennets the actuator may break.

Whenever you drill a hole through wood (like on a transom or deck) it needs to be sealed with epoxy. Then use the 5200 on the screws, holes and brackets.
Clean up the sealant after applying. Ater it's dry it is very tough to remove.

Did you get Bennetts of TrimMaster.
Bennetts, go 1/4" to 3/8" above hull bottom.
Trimmasters, absolute minimum 3/4".

I forget what Donzi you have. For very High Performance applications the tabs need to be mounted closer to the keel. Or else they'll be above the waterline at WOT :D

JP BRESCIA
04-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Nope. Can sayzz I have. Excellent idea. The gears are turning as I type.

Thanks.

JP BRESCIA
04-25-2002, 08:11 PM
RickR I am getting the Bennett 9X12 Sports w/ rockers. I have an 80 18c. And yes, they need to work at WOT. I like the backing plate idea w/ stainless hardware. As for the planes hitting something, I don't even want to entertain that thought. The tabs would be the last thing on my mind.