PDA

View Full Version : Donzi - Cobalt splash interesting tid bit!

Craig
04-25-2002, 12:00 PM
After all previous posts re: these boats, noticed, in a 2002 Cobalt catalog, they have put in some company history and there, in a small pic, is the 1969 XV-200; the copy of Sweet 16 (or Ski Sporter). A little surprised to see it there! Pretty cool though. Take a look at http://www.cobaltboats.com/company/history.html What's funny is they just call it a "1969 Cobalt 16 footer" but note if you right click on the image to do a "save image" the name that pops up is "Sweet 16"!

Steven Cohn
04-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Craig,
Interesting post. What part of MD are you in? I do the Annapolis to WDC commute.
Steven

Craig
04-25-2002, 12:56 PM
Steven,
Live around Frostburg. Boat at Deep Creek and some other local lakes. Have wanted to take the boat to Annapolis (Bay area) for a long time. Visited a friend last week and boated in the Pokomoke (near Salisbury) briefly. The Thunder on the Bay thing looks like a good excuse to go there in August. Not yet sure if I can. Possibly other commitments.

Steven Cohn
04-25-2002, 01:28 PM
Craig,
I've been to a couple of the Thunder on the Bay events. The races were ok, but one can't see very much (and I have a 40' fly bridge motor yacht). The real show was at Red Eye Dock Bar when the race and spectator boats came into the marina. Thunder was an understatement. The channel was narrow and the boats were loud. It's nothing short of awesome. However, the water was rough and there were too many go fast novices.
A better event is the NPBA sponsored races at the Choptank River (my opinion). Fast racing, good viewing from shore and water, and better support and organization.
Steven

Dr. Dan
04-25-2002, 05:09 PM
Hey Guys, Just a point of clarification! wink The "Thunder ON The Narrows" is the professional races et. al. put on in and around Kent Island,and the THUNDER ON THE BAY, is the name given to this years DONZI POKER RUN, put on by the incredible folks (JACKSON MARINE) up in the town of NorthEast, Md. :D I don't want any new attendees to get confused between the Wet-T's and the growing Donzi event! I think you should both try to make it! I was always curious about Deep Creek, is it nice Donzi country? :cool: ...Doc

Craig
04-25-2002, 06:12 PM
It's a real nice lake. Getting a little over crowded though. On the one hand there aren't a lot of Donzi's there, a few. BUT on the other hand, for that reason, they get a lot of attention (OOooooh there's a DONZI!). Even with the low number of Donzi's around people know them. I get comments about my Cobalt XV-200 often; people wanting to know the connection to Donzi. My wife and kids get a little bored when I launch into the whole story as best I know it for the 500th time! I've got a long and a short version.

Dr. Dan
04-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Craig, very cool, we should hook up this summer, I boat in the Bay normally out of NorthEast,Md! You should schedule the August Thunder/Bay event, we want as many board members as possible this year! :rolleyes: Liz and I would like to do Deep Creek also! ...Doc

donziminx86
04-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Craig,
went to school at the Burg and lived up at Deep Crrek during the summers, bartended at the Harbor and was alway in the boat bar on Sat. If I recall there is a 22 classic up there that runs close to 100 mph. It was red, is it still up there?

Craig
04-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Donziminx- I know the one, but didn't see it last season. It is (was) very cool (solid red) and fast. The guy that owned it (forget his name) once told me he used to have a 16 Donzi and ran around with the previous owner of my Cobalt a long time ago. He wanted to go really really really fast so he got that 22. It is awesome. When were you at Frostburg - I graduated there in '84.
Dan - Hope to be able to come to at least one day (Thunder). Will be rushing if I can make it (one day committed already - bummer!). Thats the closest thing I think I could possibly get too. Let me know if you need directions/info re: Deep Creek (it's easy).

Dalelama
04-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Hey...

Let's all try to get together some night (or Sunday) before I leave the area! I'll be in Anne Arundel County until early June....

and Dan... I finally brought the plane up, It's at Martin's .. just east of Baltimore.

If anyone is going out in the Bay. I can put on a little show for ya'll.

Dale Evans
Pasadena, MD

donziminx86
04-29-2002, 08:37 AM
Craig,
graduated in 95 then again in 97 with my MBA, miss it up there alot, have to try and get my wife to visit. That 22 was a monster, from what I understand the engine was rebuilt every year to keep up with one of his buddies. Have a good summer.

Steven Cohn
04-29-2002, 09:16 AM
Dr. Dan,
You are correct. The Thunder confused me.
Steven