PDA

View Full Version : Carburator installation questions

Bigbroadjumper
05-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Help, I am in the process of changing the carb's on my SBC's. I am changing from Holley to Edelbrock and I have two problems. The first is the fuel line is in a different location, and the second is, the new carb's have electric chokes. The Holley setup had hard fuel lines, should I make new hard lines or switch to Areoquip? And where do I find the power for the electric choke? Can I use the temp sending unit or do I need to go all the way to the back of the motor? Is there any way to do it so it looks good? As allways Thanks.

Bob

RickR
05-12-2003, 08:47 PM
You cannot use the temp sender for the choke.
The choke will require 12V while the engine is running.There should be a wire available from your engine wiring harness.

I read somewhere either the USCG and/or ABYC (sp?) require a solid pipe from the fuel pump to the carb but an awfull lot of people use stainless lines and AN fittings.

mikev
05-12-2003, 08:48 PM
when i upgraded my carb i cut the metal fuel line and just ran a rubber fuel line from the old line to the carb. been on there over a year with no leaks. there should be a wire in your harness for an electric choke if its a mid 80's or newer mercrusier you will have to look at a service manual to figure out witch one it is.

MOP
05-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Steel line from the pump to the carb is the CG and NFPA reg. The choke needs a full 12 volts. Some guys have used the coil hot terminal only to find out the voltage drops after start up making the choke very slow fully open. I have a hunch some body makes a steel line that will fit that.

Bigbroadjumper
05-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info, my boat is a '74 Magnum, I don't think I have one in that harness.

MOP
05-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Try looking under the dash where the harness ends, any possible spare wires are usualy neatly pulled out U-turned and taped. Might be able to use one.

RickR
05-13-2003, 11:16 AM
For the choke (+) look for a purple or orange ignition switched wire in the engine compartment. Might be one on the alternator.

Correct wire code for choke is yellow/black

Forrest
05-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Mikev, get rid of that rubber fuel line now! If it does end up leaking while underway, it's over. :(

---------------
Forrest

South of Panacea.

mikev
05-13-2003, 04:47 PM
where can i get someone to make me a line that runs from a mechanical pump to an edelbrock carb for a v6.

ClassicRazorback
05-13-2003, 04:55 PM
I just hooked my Choke up to the coil (+). Thanks for that info MOP.

Chris

I also used Aero-quip push-loc fittings.

mikev
05-13-2003, 06:45 PM
check this out it has all the info you need on fuel lines

fuel line (http://www.tridentmarine.com/html/refers/fuelhs.html)

MOP
05-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Mikev thats a good find for the hoses, atleast guys can look for the proper ID marks on the hoses. What Bigbroadjupper needs is a supplier for the required steel tubing to the carb or have one made up.

BigGrizzly
05-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Clasic some coils have an external restor or resistor wire which isn't good enough for the application.

SS18
05-13-2003, 08:34 PM
I bought sleel fuel line and altered with bending and flair tools when converting to new power which had electric fuel pump.Rubber hose is major no no consider your pounding and chafing before you know there is a fatal leak please fix!

SS18
05-13-2003, 08:36 PM
By the way buy a few because this takes patients and finesse

Bigbroadjumper
05-14-2003, 05:23 AM
Can I buy stainless steel fuel line from Summit Racing and make my own?

MOP
05-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Have an idea, most airports will have cable and tubing shop or have a vender near by. The line may cost a little more as it will be all high grade stainless. That was one of my jobs for Uncle Sam. Another plus the S/S can be polished up to look really sharp.