PDA

View Full Version : ? Borg Warner surface drive?

WOT-sup
04-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Saw an ad for an old beater boat that says it has a B/W surface-drive. The picture isn't too clear, but that is what it appears to be. Had a brief delusion about a s-d on my 18'.

Don't know much about specifics, but did B/W make these? Were they a descent product? Any related thoughts?

Jamesbon
04-24-2002, 10:23 PM
The owners manual for my Arneson # 6 says "Arneson Drive by Borg Warner." Somehow or another, they're the same. Help me out boys...

oldLenny
04-25-2002, 12:27 AM
My guess is that,...when it says "Borg Warner" it means that it "shifts,...has gears... thus the drop box etc, but I don't think the two are "together" in this.

ALLAN BROWN
04-25-2002, 07:40 AM
Naaaah! Borg Warner held the Arneson license from 1980 to '83. The made a compact drop housing, external, with a chain drive on one side, and gears (counter-rotation) on the other. This coupled to a little drive. I used them standard on the 30' Cougar cat. They were pretty good. All aluminum. I designed an internal steering system for them. Don't know why they quit.

Dr. Dan
04-25-2002, 07:49 AM
Hey Guys, I've wanted to ask this since I read about this in the May 2002 Powerboat page 38. What is the deal on the SAGE X-Drive No.8 , I was wondering what GEOO thought of this set up? wink And what are the core differences,+/- of this system compared to his and Chris's set ups? :rolleyes: Looks like a pretty intense drive set up!....Doc

GEOO
04-25-2002, 10:29 AM
My drive is an Arneson by Borg Warner, gear to gear, drop box.
Twin Disc own's Arneson license now.
Arneson Industries has some type of connection to the smaller 6 & 8 drives.
I think most of the money is in the larger # 10,12,14 etc.. drives for the Mega Yacht's. GEOO

WOT-sup
04-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Uh-oh the wheels have started turning. Thanks for the inputs, especially Mr.Brown .

It wouldn't be to late to forget the Alpha o/d on the rebuild and go with this s-d installation.

If (big IF) this unit is servicable and parts are available still, how would this be on the 18'??
Pro's, con's, etc; is it worth pursuing? This could be pretty cool. Or not. What say the experts?????

WOT-sup
04-25-2002, 11:08 AM
GEOO, looks like I was posting when you did and missed your input, so thanks for it.

I'll be particularly interested in what you think about s-d on these boats and the B/W in particular...not that I see running the HP or speeds you're doing. WOW!

Jamesbon
04-25-2002, 11:11 AM
Parts for Arneson's are readily available through Arneson Industries.

Apparently GEOO's 18 w/surface drive rides like it's on rails. (that's good)

Personally, I wouldn't have any other drive. There's 3 or 4 for sale on OffshoreOnly.com right now. I priced a Volvo to Bravo conversion for my GT, and it was far cheaper to go with the Volvo to Arneson conversion.

my $.02

Moody Blu'
04-25-2002, 02:13 PM
is it possible to drive the arneson drive without throwing a rooster tail?

could I pull a skier in back of a SD?

Boatless
04-25-2002, 07:36 PM
You can ski behind an Arneson, as you are only sking at about 35 mph max, there is little to no rooster tail at the slower speeds.

Saw an Eliminator with an ASD6, the family ski's, tubes and wake boards with the boat.

Moody Blu'
04-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Isnt it a bit risaky with a rope on the stern with the prop about 6ft further back?

WOT-sup
05-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Finally got ahold of the guy selling the beater boat with the surface drive after a week of calling at all hours. Said he'd been out of town. Sold the boat (24'Scotti Craft), 305 engine, B/W drive and trailer for $1,000. He said 'that boat ran pretty good with the drive'.

Sticking with plan A (as in Alpha) and KISS. Progress is slow enough without getting exotic.