PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Help

Tantrum
05-12-2003, 08:37 AM
A freind found a 1986 or 87 Donzi he might be interested in buying. At this point the boat has not been seen in person and the current owner knows nothing about the boat. Where can I find pictures of these model years?
All he knows is its a 24'7" with a 454 / alpha drive. Speed is supposed to be 62mph.
Before he drives 2 1/2 hrs he wants to make sure it something he might be interested in.

krakmeup
05-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Only 2.5 hours? Heck, that's a quick trip across Houston for me!! :D Seriously, five hours for someone in the market ready to buy ain't bad, I just drove 42 hours to Minnesota and back to Texas, site unseen, no sea trial becuase I had three previous boats bought out from under me (and they had 20" if ice on the local lake!! eek! )!!

Tell your friend to pack a lunch, take the convertible with the top down and a good looking seat cover in the co-pilot seat, and go for a drive to see it! :D :D

Donzigo
05-12-2003, 10:47 AM
The boat is probably a Z-25. It first came out with an Alpha drive. Check to see if it has the 1:50/1 gears. If it's the 1:30/1 gear in the outdrive, you're gonna have problems. 2 1/2 hours for a great boat.......?????????........a mere stoll in the park.

Fish boy
05-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Tnatrum, here is a picture of a 1986 z-25. The only difference in this one and the one your friend is looking is that the one pictured below is the only one made without the oval shaped porthole windows in the hull.

Great boat; rides extremely nice and has a relatively comfortable cabin in the front to get out of the rain/sun or do whatever.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples80.jpg

Shanghied Again
05-12-2003, 11:27 AM
What an Active Thunder guy asking about a DONZI? Hey Chris will get you to the dark side yet..
Just kidding. How you doing? Are you going to AC?

Tantrum
05-12-2003, 11:32 AM
Agreed 2 1/2hrs is right around the corner.
I went to Florida to buy my, site unseen, Active Thunder, but I knew what I was going to see.
His problem is the owner has know idea what model it is. He even tried to have the guy read the registration which didnt unveil any clues either.
He is interested in a performance boat, the Z25 would be perfect and well worth the trip. A cruiser on the other hand would be a waist of his time. He said it did have the single window. Was there any other 25 foot models in those years?
Other than knowing Donzi makes a very nice boat I dont know the older models.
Thanks for the help.

Fish boy
05-12-2003, 11:50 AM
Tantrum,
I found this in a old catalog from 86 or 87. Here are a few more of the z25. I do not beleive there were any other 24'7" donzi's built then; at least in the z seeries and I don't think they were building ragazza's yet, but not 100% sure. Chances are pretty good that this is the boat IMHO.

Hope this helps:

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples81.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples81a.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/jstaples81b.jpg

Tantrum
05-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Hey Frank
How was your winter? Im bringing the boat up to Lake George this weekend for the first time out this year. Just replaced the gimbal ring (uuhhg!what a job) and hooked up a new Bravo. Hope to get it running on the hose tonight. If all goes as expected Christine and I will be in AC.
Hope to see you guys there.
Give me a call.
Chris

MOP
05-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Tantrum I've got a 89 25 on my site the guy is looking to move. I've known him for along time he does dump bucks into his boats may be worth a look.

www.taber2boat.com (http://www.taber2boat.com)

Tantrum
05-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully it is the Z25 because he could very well be picking up a new ride for himself this weekend.
MOP thanks for the link, if things dont work out for him with this one Ill let him know about yours. No kidding he put some money into it! From creats to cabin.
Thanks Again

Donzigo
05-13-2003, 10:19 PM
Fishboy,

Your family's (mom's?) Z-25 is gorgeous. Why don't you use it over here some weekend and come see us?

Richard

Cuda
05-14-2003, 01:18 AM
What years did they make the Black Widow? Is it the same hull as a Z25?

Fish boy
05-14-2003, 08:42 AM
Hey richard,
THanks for the compliment on the donzi. We actually had it out last weekend (shell island, billy's,..). It has been in high and dry for too, too long and my brother and I had to do a little work to get her going, but man she ran great. It is my mom's and she loves the boat. Getting it going again and detalied was our mothers day present to her.

My mom keeps hearing about this website that Budmann and I keep talking about and now wants to start coming to some of the events. I am sure it will not take much to get her out (and if not, I will be happy to take take the boat). Who knows, might even get her to join the registry with a little coaxing.

Fish boy
05-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Cuda,
not positive, but I think the black widow was a z-29 hull. I also beleive it was during the OMC years but again, not entirely sure. ANy guru's out there that can clear this up?

I think the only other boat to use the z-25 hull back then was the fc-23 like mine. Hard to beleive since they do not look anything alike.

EricG
05-14-2003, 10:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken around 1990 they made 2 black widows...the 24' and the 30'. I'm not positive that the 24' uses the same hull as the Z25, but it would make sense.

As far as this boat...I know they made a 25 Regazza (cruiser), but that may not have come out until '87. If the hull number starts with DMRZC or DMRZ5 - than it's a Z25...and a GREAT boat.

EG

Barry Phillips
05-14-2003, 12:06 PM
Why dosn't Donzi not use that style windshield on the new Classic 22s? It looks really great.You local opinated pain in the ass.

SO-SLO

Magic Float
05-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Barry,the blue 25 in the brochure was the boat that Genth used at the Chicago trade show to introduce the new Donzis to the industry. I bought that actual boat and sold it to a local dentist. I thought in 1985 that it was the most gorgeous boat I had ever seen and 18 years later my opinion is unchanged.The windshield (in the photos)was broken in a storm so we replaced it with the new Italian windshield. Amazingly, that 1986 Z25 is still on our local lake and still turns heads when it goes by.

TuxedoPk
05-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Barry,

Update the email address in your profile; I tried reaching you today and heard back from someone else.

Barry Phillips
05-14-2003, 07:53 PM
TuxedoPk My new e-mail is barry.phillips@verizon.net, I will be doing a new profile soon.

Barry

Barry Phillips
05-14-2003, 08:08 PM
I updated my profile. It' s been some time I guess I'm an old timer.

Barry