PDA

View Full Version : New 22 Classic

Magic Float
05-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Just got my new demo,red/honey with honey upholstery, we did it like the old days,no rear cleats,no ski tow,no interior coaming panels,no white horn grill,no eyebrows on the windshield.I feel like I have a brand new 1986 except it's a 2003,but with one major difference,a solid teak floor and footrests, maybe never done before on a Classic,boat is absolutely gorgeous.Will get photos up tonite at nelemsmarine.net. This is not a pitch to sell it and if I am out of line I will delete my thread,but thought yall might like to see what Donzi is capable of doing with the current classics.

CDMA
05-11-2003, 08:31 PM
I would love to see.

CDMA
05-11-2003, 09:24 PM
http://www.donzi.net/photos/rnelm1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rnelm2.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rnelm3.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rnelm4.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/rnelm6.jpg

TMANN
05-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Nice!!! You will get many nice comments on that Classic.
:)
TMANN

harbormaster
05-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Robert,

Who did the teak floor? Is it factory??

Fish boy
05-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Honey and red is one of my favorite combinations, but that teak... that really takes it to another level. When I read the first post, I was having a difficult time picturing the teak in a classic (even though I've cleaned more teak in my life than I care to discuss). Now that I saw to see the pictures, WOW, I like it! You sure have a beautiful boat.

Fish

Darrell
05-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Robert:

Wow! I love the wood floor, looks great with the honey color. Great looking boat, what motor did you go with?

P.S. Janet and I love the 26ZX and thanks for all your hard work in getting it for us.

Darrell

krakmeup
05-12-2003, 09:58 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh

I like it!

Donzified
05-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the pics.Outstanding!

ITTLFLI
05-12-2003, 12:24 PM
VERY NICE!!

Barry Phillips
05-12-2003, 01:29 PM
Nice boat, I love the teak decking but the plastic windshield still dose not work for me. Nothing more classic than stainless. I know you do not like cleats but they do come in handy for fenders and such, mayby pull up style Gaffrig narrow lines. I liked the honey interior on the black boat you had, red seats would have look great in this 22 though. I saw a ceam vintage corvette at a auto show with red interior. I thought to myself that combination would look great on a 22. An all honey boat with a red interior, cool. Again that winshield really needs help, maybe darker tint with stainless trim on the corners and mounting flange, something. By the way Grant makes that wheel with a honey grip in there GT series automotive wheels.

SO-SLO

Magic Float
05-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Donzi did the teak floor,it will be an option on the 2004 40th Anniversery Classics. Rear cleats on a Classic are unnecessary, use the rear lift ring.Ski tow,use the rear lift ring.The Classic appeal is because it's classic,don't update it. The plex windshield now being used is almost identical to the old ones, see it in person,it is nice.Don't mean to rant but I am passionate about the Classics and don't want any updates, what other boats have gone 40 years without changes? Call me old fashioned,I guess I may be.

Barry Phillips
05-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Hi Magic Float, I don't agree about the aft cleats, I use mine all the time to hang my fenders on. I use the lifting rings to tie up with. It drives my wilfe nuts that the boat dose not have cleats a mid-ships, those suction cup jobs end up under the dock. I still think that flush mounts or the fender pins would be really functional and keep a nice clean deck profile. In terms of keeping Classics classic, I don't recall Donzi installing teak decking, or Gaffrig Monsters back in the good old days. The beauty of the Classic design is that it accepts changes from mild to wild gracefully and is still retains it's beauty but the plastic WS cheapens it. As you know he 22 used the stainless unit since the late 80's, it's now 03 thats over 20 years, so what's more classic. Every performance boat on the planet has either a plexy WS or no windshield at all. The stainless unit sourced in Italy defines the 22, it's unique, it gave it it's classic good looks. I'm sorry but Donzi cheaped out on this one.

SO-SlO

Magic Float
05-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Hi,Barry,to each his own I guess. If Donzi was able to get the old windshields I'm sure they would offer them as an option,but they are not obtainable. They stepped up to plate remove the eyebrows for buyers that prefer that, I personally prefer the eyebrows for wind protection. Classics do not sell in large #'s anymore but the people that buy them,like you and I and others are very happy with what they are offering. Cheapening the boat has never been in the plan. If someone doesn't want a teak floor or Monster gauges and wants cleats and stuff it's available from the factory. You can spec out whatever you want,as I do.

BUIZILLA
05-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Nice boat..REAL NICE..

HOWEVER.. :)

needs mid-ship pop-ups fer sure..

and that windshield.. :rolleyes: absolutely, positively looks tacky. I think it de-tracts from the boat's looks, rather that a-ttracts. Just MY opinion, of course.

J

BillG
05-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Fantastic!!!! If you love it then have it anyway you want. Great looking boat.
Bill G

Indyblackhawk
05-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Wow!!! That boat was in the molds when we stopped in at Donzi during spring break. They were talking about the teak deck - results leave me speechless. I have pictures of boat in molds if you want to take a peak.

Andy

Magic Float
05-12-2003, 08:13 PM
The pop-up cleats are not an issue, they are a factory option listed on the order form if you want them,I don't. The windshield still starts arguments,I like it, but tho it is not on the order form you can order a 22 without the windshield,just like the 16 and 18.Check the photos of my new w/s and find a photo of the early 22's.You will see a close resembalance.But it really doesn't matter to me if some people think it looks cheap or tacky,I sure do like it:)

RickR
05-12-2003, 08:40 PM
VERY NICE! Color combination is GREAT especially with the teak! :D

GEOO
05-12-2003, 08:43 PM
MF,
I love it. Personalizing ones boat with certain details is what makes it fun!!! Hey ,it's all in the name of Don....Right!!!Speed, Class....

JimG
05-12-2003, 08:44 PM
It's just plain BEAUTIFUL! You must be very proud!!

Magic Float
05-12-2003, 09:12 PM
The "Italian Windshields" were made in Florida,there was a small decal at the base with the name of the company, but I am too old to remember the name. Donzi never claimed it was made in Italy,it was "Italian",like Italian food,prepared in Florida.

Magic Float
05-12-2003, 09:38 PM
I definetly consider the Minx as a Classic, still a favorite of mine, wish they would bring it back,but my opinions don't mean much, I want a 24 or 26 Classic,too bad the #'s don't make it a viable project,drawings are done. Would some of you members buy a big Classic? I'll stock a couple if there is some support.

KRAVEN
05-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Magic Float,
Beautiful Donzi! Outstanding Color Combo.

goatee
05-12-2003, 10:36 PM
i love it!!!!! the teak floor is awsome!!!!!!

Trueser
05-12-2003, 10:40 PM
I like it! great lookin ride.

Good Luck!!!!

Trueser

oldLenny
05-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Beautiful ride!!!I love the wood. We have a local company that is big on nostalgia and wood as well.

http://www.kazulinboats.com/gallery/pages/i_adriatic.htm

http://www.kazulinboats.com/gallery/pages/v_adriatic.htm

http://www.kazulinboats.com/gallery/pages/q_adriatic.htm
http://www.kazulinboats.com/gallery/pages/s_adriatic.htm

http://www.kazulinboats.com/gallery/pages/w_adriatic.htm

http://www.kazulinboats.com/gallery/pages/e_adriatic.htm

These are the same people that made the Kavalk that was for sale a few months back. Local in Vancouver here...

farmer tx
05-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Our 86-22 classic has eyebrows and I like them.
You can wear a cap, smoke a cigar, and turn your
head sideways without getting your shades ripped
off by the wind. All this at 55+ mph.

Digger
05-13-2003, 05:45 AM
thats a beautiful boat, enjoy it!

Barry Phillips
05-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Hi Magic Float, not a put down, just my humble opinion, and the SS WS was sourced in Italy. I looked at a 1988 Testarrosa that a guy DON purchased on this site last fall and it said right on the side light made in Italy. I have heard Donzi's excuse that the guy weather he lived in Italy or Florida died or retired or what ever, Simon told me this himself at the NY Boat Show, so I have seen it in person. I realize that Donzi dose not make a millon Classics per year, and thats exactly why the Stainless unit is gone, so it is about economics. The plastic windshield is not identical to the one made in 80s and late 70s . The original had rsdiused corners and was seemed in the front, the new one looks like the frame was taken away and the glass left behind, the corners that tie the 3 pices together look cheap and have to many exposed screw heads, the 80s black coating really kills the look. If Donzi could not scource a replacement SS unit, all they had do was to was look at the 1987 Minx, which I feel had the most elegant all plastic WS installed on any Donzi. I still feel Donzi needed to scource somthing quickly and tried to hard to retain the shape of the SS unit, but missed the mark. I was at a local boat show last Febuary and I was looking at a 19' Malibu ski boat sporting a stainless WS frame, sourced from Pacific Stainless. Malibu is a mid-ranged, low volume west coast builder, no where near as expensive as a Classic per foot, yet they can source an SS windshield and Donzi can't . Please don't get my rantings wrong, I am a designer by trade and I was trained to formulate strong opinions, weather SS or plexy,Donzi can do way better. I think they focus on the ZX and fish lines, and use the Classic series as a image boat. The bottom line is the Classics are unique and define the Donzi brand. If I wanted a stepped bottomed offshore or fishboat there are plenty of quality builders to pick from, there is only one Classic and it deserves better. For the recored I love the teak and the Monsters, the point I was makeing is by not ordering cleats, which these boats scorely need or the side pads dose not make the 22 Classic any more classic, it's a matter of function and taste, as is the windshield, I see a lot of post on this site from early 22 owners looking for windshield replacements, I'm sure that the 22 project boat that Chris is working on right now started out with a plexly unit.

SO-SLO

Magic Float
05-13-2003, 12:28 PM
No problem,Barry,thanks for the info on the windshield,Robert

EricG
05-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Wow...that thing is perfect.... biggrin.

Did you buy it to broker, or are you keeping it for yourself?

I love the idea of the new Nostalgia classic...very nice work.

EG

Speed-Racer
05-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Teak Floors! eek! Beautiful 22!

ClassicRazorback
05-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Very Nice,

I think I saw that boat at the dealership before you picked it up. It was all wrapped up.

Have fun
Chris

KMLFAMILY
05-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Retro is in ! Very nice.

Barry Phillips
05-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Hi Magic Float, just me again. There is a new post named Donzi help. A board member posted a cataloge page for a 1988 Z25, this boat's plexy WS is a thing a beauty, it reminds me of the one used on the Minx, with radiused corners, and small venturi on the leading edge. Also placeing the seams on the side makes them less apparient, thats what I'm talking about, and would look great on the 22, a nice clean look. I am not as much a purist as you are, but I am equally as pssionate. I have had a love affair with these boats since 1969 and I do not want to see Donzi screw the 22 up with a cheezy WS. I know that Donzi will sell Classics anyway, and offer little in the way of insentives including Z Care, but good design is all about the details.

Yours
SO-SLO