PDA

View Full Version : New Intake for the X-18

GEOO
04-23-2002, 08:51 PM
I had to take the engine out to repair a broken engine mount boss on my block and install new mounts. I've been thinking on changing the intake since the end of last summer, and since the engine needed to be removed, I couldn't resist. What a better time to change the intake and do some dyno tuning. It's amazing how you can justify the need for almost anything when you put your mind to it.
Good thing I had the extra hood clearance of the X-18!!!
HUM, Does anyone need an NOS Kit?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/Gdesmond01.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/Gdesmond02.jpg

CDMA
04-23-2002, 09:35 PM
My hero......

Dr. Dan
04-23-2002, 10:37 PM
GEEEEOOOOOHHHH!!!!! eek! That looks more like an Airplane Engine in there, how did that happen?...Looks Great...Doc

Digger
04-24-2002, 06:54 AM
Holy tight spot Batman!! And I thought our turboshafts were a tight fit in the Blackhawk! :D nice looking install!

Kent Perroux
04-24-2002, 08:24 AM
Damn Geo...

Now I am going to HAVE to put the 516 in the 18 just to cruise with that thing!

mattyboy
04-24-2002, 08:44 AM
HOLY HANNA!!!! eek! :D
I would love to see the suckers sitting at the dock in their baja's and scarabs watching Geoo paddlin' around and saying "look at that poor bastard paddlin his Donzi ha ha ha" then later in the day the same guys " hey Bob remember that guy paddlin the Donzi well he just passed us doing about 90!!!!

Nice engine!!!
Matt

Looped
04-24-2002, 08:50 AM
Yikes Geoo eek!

Do you need to make a new custom hatch for that baby, that's way beyond hood scoop material?

Lookin' sweet!
Craig

smoothie
04-24-2002, 10:11 AM
Very nice...very clean setup,how does it sound going across the water when the boost kicks in,I have visions of one of those James Bond movies where you hear a high pitched whining sound and the boat leaps out of the water :D

RickR
04-24-2002, 01:34 PM
YEEEEHAAAAA!!!!!! :D

GEOO
04-24-2002, 02:32 PM
Thanks Guys, It's been a seven month project and I'm real happy how it all worked out. Many thanks to Randy and Frank the Procharger wizards, and Craig at BDS for a dyno tune, through an internet connection.
I wasn't 100% sure if it would all fit, but I was happy to find out it does!!!
No hood scoops needed and I have mufflers too.
Yesterday and today I'm double checking all the electrical connection, re-torquing engine bolts, mounts, steering etc... topping off fluids; engine, steering, trim pump, tabs. Washed out the bilge then vacuumed out any metal, wood, fiberglass filings, spare nuts washers, bolts etc... Hopefully I'll be done to take her out Friday afternoon. GEOO

P.S. If I can send a E:mail, with the correct format, Scot will post the dyno video, as time allows.

BigGrizzly
04-24-2002, 02:38 PM
You just raised the level of the neat and tidie award. Glad it worked out. Really nice job.

Randy

RedDog
04-24-2002, 03:41 PM
That is breathtaking - great job.

But it makes me fell so inadequate - Looking foward to watching you run at AOTH II - don't think I could stand the ride!

EricG
04-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Excellent work!!

I sort-of remember when I just started visiting the page you had just put the Arne' on and you were working on the Stroker....I remember thinking, how far can he take this? Well, I'm still asking that I guess eek!

Someday I'm going to fly to the East Coast to see the famed Mighty Mouse in action, and the Griz mobile, and Chris's new 22, and Ted's boat, and Scott P's boat, and......oh heck....I'm going to go sulk in my Cuddy wink

EG

GEOO
04-24-2002, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your input, However; Stress, Stress, Stress... I've been working the past few nights trying to fail safe everything. I didn't install the engine myself, too busy at work and with the family, this time. Now it will take me twice as long to put things in-order so I feel comfortable. Have you ever tried to put retainage straps on the fuel line every 10-12 inches and return fuel lines after the engine is installed? I used to have a way to fit in the bilge, maybe Chris can fit??? Have you ever tried and put those two or three wires into the wire loam after the install?? I guess with only two weeks to KY I wish I was farther along. Some things will have to be cleaned up after KY. GEOO

Good news is Chris is comeing over Friday afternoon to drive while I check for fuel leaks, fuel pressure, oil leaks etc... No high speed runs with out our Lifeline jackets!!
I took 30 gals out of the fuel tank (hold 41) and topped it back off with 104 oct. just incase the fuel went bad over the winter.

Eric, Come on down to KY. Fly down for the weekend. Flights are probally around $ 200.00. You can ride with me or several of the other guys!!!

JP BRESCIA
04-24-2002, 09:36 PM
eek! eek! WOW... You have without doubt taken it to the next level. Good work! I look forward to being passed at an upcoming gathering to hear it, see it, and take it all in. :cool:

You are truly a pioneer with the 18. Going to a place few would dare to go. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you two have an exciting and safe test run. :)

Stuff like this makes me so proud to be a memeber of this board. :D