PDA

View Full Version : Uflex planetary steering

WOT-sup
04-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Another interesting item from MIBS..cable steering from Uflex (in lieu of Teleflex). It's claim to fame is multiple contact points (planatary gear system) between the steering gears and the cable, hence less wear and slop, and stronger...or so 'they' say. Don't know anything about it other than a quick look.

Anybody familiar with this or using one??

Kent Perroux
04-23-2002, 08:24 PM
One word - hydraulic.

Formula Jr
04-24-2002, 03:56 AM
hydraulic.

WOT-sup
04-24-2002, 12:21 PM
While they do make hydraulic, they also make mechanical. Below is the ad copy. Wish I could figure out how to copy the tech drawing...it is an interesting design (drive gear turns 3 planetary, each of which are into the cable). From their site at www.uflexusa.com. (http://www.uflexusa.com.) (other items too, worth a look)

Rotech Steering Systems
Featuring the exclusive Planetary Gear Design, Rotech steering systems are more efficient, durable, and smoother performing than conventional systems. The six contact points eliminate uneven wear patterns and evenly distribute steering loads over the entire helm, thereby increasing the longevity of the system.
Uflex steering systems can be conveniently installed in the existing bolt pattern left behind by your old system.

Talked to 'em on the phone. Very compatable with a power assisted Alpha. List about $150 for the helm.

Nobody out there familiar with these? I may give it a shot, it would be interesting to see how it does comparatively.

Forrest
04-24-2002, 01:54 PM
As far as push-pull-cable type system go, the Uflex system with it planitary-gear head is a better unit than Teleflex, Morse, and the like. I installed a Uflex system in my now gone '75 Glastron-Carlson CV-16 and it worked well with the V-4 Johnson outboard. No steering cable slop at all in the head, even with their single cable systems. I think Uniflex Marine products in general are of very good quality, but are not for all applications. Also, I would think that their hydraulic steering system would be fairly decent as well.

BigGrizzly
04-24-2002, 02:33 PM
They also make an external steering cable for the Volvo drive withm the planitary gears and takes the slop out of the steering that the Volvo has, also is better than the internal Merc on the manual Alpha drive4s

Randy

doug hess
04-24-2002, 11:06 PM
If your decide on mechanical steering Ultraflex/Rotech is far better than the Teliflex which are now made in Mexico. Take them apart and you will see how the spur gear on Ultraflex transmits the force to 3 die cast gears. The same size gear on Teliflex mates with only one gear. The three point load also reduces wear on the steering wheel shaft bushing.

Ultraflex has always been equivalent to TF's heavy duty Big-T not the more common and cheaper Safe-T.

Ultraflex comes with an adapter that will fit Teliflex cables. UF best prices are less than TF.
Check out www.simplicity-marine.com (http://www.simplicity-marine.com)

It is a good idea when you buy a mechanical steering unit to take it apart and pack with a good grease. If you don't want to disassemble it then just pump it one hole till it comes out the other. Manufacturing people always tend to skimp on it.

Doug

WOT-sup
05-01-2002, 10:14 PM
Decided to use the Uflex Rotech mechanical system. (Speed range with my initial power won't require external/hyd steering). Thanks for the inputs from those familiar with this product.

For general info, the company rep suggests a little white lithium grease goes a long way; they do not recommend filling the gear case with grease and actually recommend 'again' it'.

Long, long way from having anything to steer, but starting to get parts together.