PDA

View Full Version : changing drive

DAULEY
05-11-2003, 08:08 AM
i am changing my drive on my 1995 blackwawk le any ideas on what drive will work best . i am tired of the hard time when docking in and out of gear was thinking bravo 1 or bravo x or bravo xz. any ideas what prop i should use
Thanks BOB

Greg Maier
05-11-2003, 12:00 PM
Bob,

I would think that a Bravo with an IMCO Shorty lower would work. You can get several different lengths of shorty lowers. I think the trick would be getting the length of the drive optimized to take advatage of the high X-Dim of the Blackhawk hull. With the Blackhawk hull, you don't need the drive leverage to get bow lift, so I think a short drive would work fine. There are other guys on here who have 22's with Shortys. I believe HP600 and Roadtrip SE both have have them.

MOP
05-11-2003, 06:58 PM
I know Zip to little about the Black Hawks with the exception of what I have read up here. How about some more input, like other than a dou prop drive is it a cone shifter? How much higher is the X D. And last but not least why are they harder to handle close to docks? I have done allot of stock Dou's both Merc and Volvo they are much better than single prop drives in tight quarters, is it the high X D that makes the B H not handle as well at low speed maneuvering?

DAULEY
05-12-2003, 08:49 AM
as soon as you put it in gear the boat is moving at about 7mph its because of the big props i think
thanks bob

MOP
05-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Even with another you will be swinging a big pitch prop so I doubt if it will help changing the drive out. one thing that helps a little is putting the tabs in the full down position. I know this from a Buds Scarab.

BigGrizzly
05-13-2003, 07:45 PM
MOP, just so you know the blackhawk swings a 31 indh prop hecausw it is surfas piersing and runs in an ariated condition most of the time. If a Bravo was ysed he would turn a 26 pich prop and significantly slower speed.

MOP
05-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Thanks Griz had no clue that the pitch would be so high. Are they slow out of the hole or does the Dou setup make up for it a bit.

Bad-Tat
05-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Dually is right about the 7mph at idle. Makes for interesting docking and trailering. Just have to get things lined up right the first time and no problem. Have to do a bit of in and out of gear but as long as not in a hurry docking is fine. The gears and clutches are the same as the bravo 3. Just in a very short housing.
It comes out of the hole ok as long as you have the exhaust down in the drive to air out the props. If you try and get up with the thru hulls open it takes awhile..
Will be interesting to see what the rocker hull does with a different drive on it. Keep us posted.

Greg Maier
05-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Bill,

The upper gears and clutch are Bravo I, the lower gears are Bravo III.

oldLenny
05-13-2003, 11:31 PM
XR and a Sportmaster maybe???

waleyetwo
05-14-2003, 08:38 AM
hey bad-tat do you lose speed on the blackhawk with thru hull exhaust over just running thru the hub? i would like to put on thru hull exhaust but was told i would lose speed.they said air blowing thru the hub airates the props for max speed.
your thoughts? thanks.

turbo2256
05-14-2003, 09:29 AM
:confused: eek!

Bad-Tat
05-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Waleyetoo,
No drop in speed with the tru hulls. Can't get top speed with exhaust thru the drive. Once up and flying the props are ventilated and have switch to thru hulls to get full 5200.

Indyblackhawk
05-14-2003, 08:53 PM
my black hawk is the same way. I can fell the difference when I flip the exhausts open at WOT, atleast 3-5mph faster

DAULEY
05-14-2003, 09:39 PM
i got a call from a friend today and he said he should be getting about 10 new in the box blackhawk drives and thinks they will be priced at 4000 if anyone is interested let me know