PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser outdrive painting

1996Z15
05-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Has anyone ever painted their Mercruiser outdrive? Is this something that I can do without having the outdrive disassembled? What are the proper steps and materials?

Thanks

DON N.
05-11-2003, 02:16 AM
I'D LIKE TO SEE SOMETHING ON THIS SUBJECT ALSO.LOCAL STORE TOLD ME DON'T SAND THE OUT DRIVE BECAUSE THE PAINT WON'T STAY ON IT ANY WAY.

1996Z15
05-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Here is the process that I was able to find on the Internet so far:

1) Sand outdrive w / 100 - 120 grit
2) Sand w / 400 wet/dry paper
3) Wash drive with Aluminum acid etch metal prep
4) Prime outdrive with Zinc Chromate primer
5) Spray w / 3-4 coats of Mercruiser spray lacquer.

What it did not tell me though was if I need to remove the outdrive and have it disassembled before I do this or can I do this with the outdrive on the boat.

Sam
05-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Just a word of advise when spraying the the ZC primer. You will need to lay down very thin coats, this stuff will run very easy.

Sam

Rootsy
05-11-2003, 08:19 AM
you are gonna want to remove the drive from the boat unless you want overspray on the hull or you want to go through the trouble of masking the whole boat.

once it is off, hang it by the u-joint yoke. mask and tape off the input shaft, u-joints and the guide which slips into the bellhousing. also mask off the propshaft.

as far as prep i generally will sand and feather with a 240 followed by a 400. clean the surface with wax and grease remover thorougly. before you paint it go over it with a tack rag a couple of times.

I generally shy away from the spray can method but i agree with the zinc chromate and laquer from merc being super runny... do a tack (mist) coat, let it flash a bit and follow it up with successive coats until you achieve hiding (opaque).

i generally will go the PPG DP-LF catalyized epoxy primer followed up with DCC single stage acrylic urethane. After curing this is an extremely tough finish.

MOP
05-11-2003, 08:39 AM
If you want to paint on the boat it is super important to mask the boat well. You may want to try this get a hugh piece of card board. cut a hole that will clear the transom shield by at least an inch or two. Now mask off very carefully around the transom shield out about 5-6 inches. Cut the card board in half through your cut out place it over your masking job on the boat and tape in place. Clean bad areas to bright metal. I have not used the metal etch stuff but sounds like a really good thing, once the drive looks good I lightly wipe it down with with acetone. If you are patient you lay on quite a few As mentioned in Sams post very light coats of Z primer to build up low spots and to get at least a what I call a no metal showing coat. It is important to prime very soon after sanding or etching to seal the surface. To do it right it will take several hours, go slow the results will be better. I wait atleast a day before color coating.

If there is a breeze don't paint it will find its way onto many not good things! Belive me I still screw up and find a cast on things close by. It pays to wear a mask.

MOP
05-11-2003, 09:28 AM
I agree with Rootsy on pulling the drive, we pull most of our drives for storage and do paint them off the boat, but if you need to touch up the shield and gimble we usualy paint it all together. We can spray most, if you use a gun you need to do a carefull mask job as the guns atomize alot better and make a bigger cloud the paint will find its way onto something you are not happy about. When we do use a gun we coat the boat with wax and leave it on till done then wipe it down.

blue-z
05-11-2003, 07:08 PM
I taped and preped mine like I would a partial or touch up on a car. Tape her nice. I used the zinc chromate prime nice and thin after etching. I have put imron and acrylic enamel on. It looks awesome..........if ya trailer it. If ya leave it in use mercruiser and good luck. It doesn't look that nice but it is underwater all the time anyway correct? I have merc-cathode and a zinc pointy majiger?? too.
Good Luck.
P.S. Use a small touch up gun!!