PDA

View Full Version : trailer tongue weight

Digger
04-23-2002, 12:19 PM
With all the talk of trailering lately I thought I would post this easy method of determining your actual tongue weight. (without buying some cockamanie expensive scale or going to the local truck scales). If your tongue weight is beyond the capacity of your bathroom scale to measure directly you can still use it-

http://www.donzi.net/photos/mhowardtweight.jpg

--do this on level ground
--put your bathroom scale 2 ft away from the point that trailer tongue weight is placed, put the brick one ft away on the other side. Use dowels or tubing to ensure the weight is distributed at those dimensions if you want to be real accurate
--multiply the bathroom scale reading by 3. That is your tongue weight.

recommended tongue weights vary depending on who you ask. 10% for single axle, 15% for tandem are commonly used. If your trailer doesn't tow well its likely a function of tongue weight, too much or too little.

ok I'll go back to work now :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
04-23-2002, 03:01 PM
Neat post DIGGER.
I get my new trailer 3 May. Looking forward to the piece of mind. Just in time for KY.

We should talk soon and commit to the meeting place and time, I am now leaning towards the original 6am at the spot on the map I posted earlier. What are your thoughts/input, I am flexable, my only non negotiator is Nancy works until 7PM the day prior.
We have VHF, two batteries, plus I will give you a hand held motorola FMS to use, they are awesome.
Looking forward to the trip, so is Nancy.
Talk to you soon DIGGER.
How is the shoulder?
Bryan

Digger
04-23-2002, 03:10 PM
Bryan that spot and time still work for me, I'm just about ready to go. Shoulder surgery will go 21 May, I'll be fine until then. I'm gettin psyched!

Sam
04-23-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the reminder and info, I need to check mine out.

Sam

DON N.
04-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Is that loaded,unloaded or both?

RickR
04-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Don
Loaded!

You can go with less tongue weight if your tow veichle is rated for significantly more weight than you'r towing.

DON N.
04-25-2002, 11:18 AM
OK