PDA

View Full Version : Made-Rite not excepting any orders.

ZF-Mac
04-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Where do we go now? They said they where closing in July. I need an interior for my 67 16. It has no interior now, so I need to find someone with the paterns.

Tim frown

Forrest
04-23-2002, 10:23 AM
Holy smokes! Bilt-Rite?

This is not good news for anyone doing a classic Donzi restoration.

Did John and Sue say that the were going to retire? A while back when I was there picking up my upholstery for my 16, they talked about moving a little farther west down I-10 to the middle of the Florida panhandle, but it wasn't clear if they were going to open up shop there or not.

The closing of Bilt-Rite will mark be the end of an era of the last ties from Donzi's beginnings. It will also mark the end of original replacement upholstery for your pre-1980s classic. :( frown

mattyboy
04-23-2002, 12:10 PM
there was a post on this a while back, I said we needed to by the patterns and hold them, but it was said they had sold the shop and new owners would continue, if not we better get on it quick, buy the patterns and use as funraiser for the harbormaster.

Matt

ZF-Mac
04-23-2002, 01:21 PM
As of this morning they still had the patterns and nothing solid in the works for a buyer!!!!!! They said no they couldn't accept any more orders.

Tim

ZF-Mac
04-23-2002, 01:23 PM
Forrest,

She did use the "R" word.

Tim

Stix Magill
04-24-2002, 01:24 AM
It's True Fellas. The nice and professional owners of Bilt-Rite are retiring. I placed my order when I first heard the rumor 6 or 8 weeks ago. Sue confirmed that they were retiring. There is a market and someone will pickup where they left off. The question is who and when? :confused:

Formula Jr
04-24-2002, 03:19 AM
To Bilt- Rite, the end of an era is upon us. I salute them and wish all the best. Our donzies will never be the Same any more. But, knowing you could have an entire interior redone, by them's that did it in the 60's will be missed. Your work was perfect and respected.

Get that big ass RV and see the world. :D

clayman
04-24-2002, 07:20 AM
John and Sue are great! They did an awesome job on my interior. I hope they are able to sell there business. They talked about traveling around in an RV. Here are some pics of my visit. True craftsman, I don't know if new owners could ever have the work ethic or quality. http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff23.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff24.jpg
http://www.donzi.net/photos/jspiroff40.jpg

Greg
04-24-2002, 06:00 PM
I'm screwed, waited too long. I got the front seats a long time ago, but need the three cushions for the back. Bummer. My fault.

green16
04-24-2002, 08:38 PM
Ii must have been one of the last lucky ones too, getting mine from them for my '68 16' last winter. Good luck to them. One thing I have tried to live by these last few years - this is no dress rehearsal so live the life you have!
Go RVing.

JP BRESCIA
04-24-2002, 09:09 PM
I'm another who waited 1 year too long. The interior of my 80 18c is orig and still in excellent shape but the original cockpit cover is beat. :( This is beat.