PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Oil Reservoir -yes/no

Murphy
05-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Storms in Illinois today. Not much in the archives I could find about outdrive oil reservoirs. I know Merc has an aftermarket kit for Gen I Alphas. I understand the value of keeping the case full and making the fluid level easy to check. What are the other pro's and con's of adding one? I read a remark elsewhere saying the bleed valve on the reservoir top can malfunction and draw water into the drive if the seals are not perfect. I want to do everything I can to protect the Alpha SS. Would value any opinions on this.

Thanks,

Murph

MOP
05-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Murph the kits are the way to go. I know I will get an argument but do away with the valve at the top find another cap and drill a 40 thousands hole that neutralized any possible vacuum build up. That way you eliminate the problem, which happens if the seals are a little poor to start with. Look at a stock drive all sealed up nice and proper they don't suck water till the seals go bad. Many times a leak goes undetected till the drive is damaged, with the visual tank check it every time you raise the hatch and don't forget because mono filiment will wipe the prop seal in a heart beat.