PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of POSSUM,...NOT for "purists"

oldLenny
05-09-2003, 06:02 PM
This should be a test as to the "new kindness" this board is going to offer. Be nice everyone, I have a real one as well. I will post a big how-to one day. Hull is blue-printed, REALLY, trailing edges at transom are razor sharp to release "water tension", it has a 9 1/2 wide" pad at rear, hull is all high tech Knytex and Isothalic resin throughout, ISO NPG gelcoat. Stripe is left off this one so I can "paint" a new design on (same as Jeff Moores in Seattle) and then I will make another mold off this one to reflect the new lines for future taping. Color is 2003 Ford Thunderbird "Imperial Yellow". I wanted it to look like the faded yellow boats from the 60's I see around.

Lay up is;
2-0.9 OZ mat for skin out
4 hours, slow cure @1 1/4% Luperox DDM 9 Catalyst, 65 degrees
Then,...
1-0.9oz mat
1-18 OZ roven
1- -45 +45 Knytex
1- 0-90 Knytex
1- -45 +45 Knytex

Resin is Owens Corning Isothalic (wonderful product and far more flexible than ANY GP resin system) # F701-ABK-25-BR-AOC-ISO. It's a slow to medium speed resin, about a 25 minute gel time (workability) at 65 degrees and 1 1/4%. The Knytex resembles Kevlar in strength but soaks out well and comes complete with a stictched on .08 oz veil on the back side. (eliminates the need for a 0.9 OZ mat between lay-ups. (You can NEVER put a roven to a roven). You need the veil for binding and resin soaking as well as for telegraphing of the heavy knit below. ALWAYS separate your heavy knits with a 1 OZ mat. The 0-90 Knytex doesn't lay to longitudinal curves very well. A bit of a hair puller...but does eventually lay.

Transom has this and 2 more Knytex.

Lay-up and matt/roven/ Knytex is at 70% glass, 30% resin plus or minus. This is "old Ironsides" but when done about 300 pounds lighter than a new Classic 18.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1803.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1804.jpg

The pad...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1806.jpg

What trailer bunks should look like in "my" opinion...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1805.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1808.jpg

Greg Maier
05-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Do you notice the US Flag in the picture? Nice touch Lenny.

Rootsy
05-09-2003, 07:16 PM
totally amazing... i want to see more... much more!!!! i am gonna fight ted for the first one! wink

heck i'll even come help you layup the hull :D

btw, did i say WOW? and i love the color man!

oldLenny
05-09-2003, 07:25 PM
I bought that flag in Kansas on my drive down to Houston, Texas and then drove all the way home again. I think it is good luck. Kept me safe while I slept as I was driving 70 MPH for many miles wink

KMLFAMILY
05-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Lenny, You have accomplished what many a man has probably pondered and hemmed and hawed about for yr.s and never did anything.I applaud you for pulling this off,even with just a hobby shop(a real nice one at that).It"s projects like this and people like you that bring so much credibility to this site.I look forward to your(how to) article.Really look"s awsome !
Thanx for sharing.

BUIZILLA
05-09-2003, 09:09 PM
I think we've just turned a very positive corner in creativity..

Put me on the *interested* list..

J

ToonaFish
05-09-2003, 11:03 PM
My Gawd, man, when do you sleep? The Lenzi looks awesome!!! Congratulations and I can't wait to read the details of your labor...

Bunches,

Celene "hardly pure"

MOP
05-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Gaaawd that is Pretty, the pad extended strakes and deck look real interesting, whats the planned power?

oldLenny
05-10-2003, 12:24 AM
M.O.P. strakes are untouched. Nothing done there other than blueprinting. Photo angle doesn't give you the distance right for the inner strake. Pad is only hull add on. I have a 377 Scorpian and Bravo One,..new...

MOP
05-10-2003, 12:51 AM
You've done a hell of a job hiding in the barn over the winter!

Dredgeking
05-10-2003, 06:51 AM
build them with the x-18 deck and i'm on the list also. nice work. great looking shop. :D

smoothie
05-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Nice work Lenny :cool:

olredalert
05-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Lenny,

------I really am blown away.You Canadians!!!!!!You cant find something so you just go build it yourself.Truly cool!I dont know which hull number Im in line for with all this other input but Im in.
------I too wonder if the pad will harden the ride a bit,but nothing ventured nothing gained.It sounds as if your saying"if I dont like it Ill build another one.Speed should be sensational however.Im pretty close to the factory Scorpion boat but have never seen it run yet.Hope to rectify that soon,maybe next weekend.Ill bet you are nervous about that X-dimension,huh!
------I remember seeing your posts with the bench seat X boat and thinking"how cool is that!!!!".I guess we just may find out exactly how cool that is.I have often wondered how smooth the ride would be driving from the back seat(as in Criterion).I think I can speak for most of us when I say"if we can help,just yell".........Bill S........ol red!

Darrell
05-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Wow!!! :cool: looks awesome, I like the pad.
Will that boat be at Possum this year?

Great Job!

Darrell

oldLenny
05-10-2003, 10:31 AM
'ol Red...The X dimension will be 1" up from stock. (up 1" from 14 1/2") I want to stay "hooked up" here in the ocean. The pad is no deeper than stock. The bottom of this boat is exactly where the bottom is on a stock one. Pad is an add-on across the left and right of the original botom. If it creates problems, I will grind it off and re-fair it. The keel on this one is built up in the pad area so I can do just this and not sacrifice strength. I need some time to test all this crap out and see if it is a hinderence or not. The rear seat driving position on the benches is actually 12" forward of the original rear seat back. That was given to the hatch area and engine bay so any drive system can be installed. An Arneson and a 72C B/W with fit in there...without the need for an extension box. I was hoping to help out the fore/aft weight distribution. This is a learning experience. Here is a pic of one 1 scaled, a board members VERY nice one, with the changes applied to scale in way of the engine hatch length and cockpit length. (40" like the Bench seat Hornet)The original X deck is only on the hull above to keep the sides (gunwhales) in while it cures. I popped that one on Thursday night. It has full length 2" x 8" temporary stringers in it to keep it straight for now. ...(no need to add hook at this point) :rolleyes: I am still playing with the plug for the bench deck. I need about a week of nothing else to do and it will be done. Now, when can I find a week with nothing else to do.
http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1811.jpg

Eugene Nahemow
05-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Lenny,
Absolutely awesome! I also love the color.
I am about to start on my own restoration of an 18 Classic and this has given be great deal of inspiration.
Since I'm on the left coast I might have to sneak up and do some reconnaisance missions. :D
Keep up the great work!!

CrackerJack
05-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Really impressive, Lenny!!!!!

BigGrizzly
05-11-2003, 08:26 PM
All I can say is WOW. You have done a great job!!!

harbormaster
05-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Great Job Lenny, Does Gerry still want one?

I cannot wait to see it in person.

BUIZILLA
05-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Oky, I've made up my mind..

yeah...I know... I'm behind Ted (aren't we all)

I want one just like the picture..navy sides, white bottom and deck, lavender chine and deck stripe and white/lavender bench seat. I'll stick in a 434/Bravo 1

I noticed the rocker chine, did anyone else wink

J

I'm serious here Lenny

CDMA
05-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Jim,

Looks standard x 18 chines to me...

Ask me how I know this;)

Chris

Hours under an X recently....

MXRoadster
05-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Damm...

Lenny, that is absolutely beautiful. Glad to see you making progress with the X...

David

Marlin275
05-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Great Work Lenny!
As a Purist I think it is grand!
The X lives a new life.
You have changed the boat enough so there are no copyright issues?
http://www.donzi.net/photos/cgabeler3334.jpg

oldLenny
05-12-2003, 02:21 PM
20% is the rule of thumb here. I have done that easily. People make glass replicas of 30 Fords/AC Cobras and such. I see no difference. This at least is different, both hull and deck.

I want to know how Python and Grew and a few others still manage and change nothing...????

Seems that it is a moot point these days.

Like I said, I don't want to *^^&iss anyone off here and my intention was to build ONE for me...That was it. Still my plan, very close to being done now. NO, it won't say DONZI on it.

Sensitive issue I know...This is not a commercial venture as yet in any form. This is a "personal boat"... Donzi should buy a NICE X for $12K, cherry and plug the deck and start these again. I think they would be an instant hit! Original and benches. How many people are buying performance cars these days that are two seaters!!!TONS. Vettes, Compressors, Z-3's, Z-4's, Boxsters, Nissan 350 ZX, Acura NSX, Viper, Carrera...the list goes on and on and these people are buying two seats and performance.
I hope DONZI looks into this 'cuz I am sure it would help sales. I will be content with my version of one, and my real 16...

-as for "changing it enough?"

-different deck
-different tub
-different engine hatch, 12" longer and two piece, same as old three piece but minus one
-different transom to gunwhale and transom to bottom lines
-pad
-blueprinted bottom
-different stringer system (all glass monocoque)
-different colours
-different name
-different X dimension
-different upholstery (when done)
-"lip" at top of deck/fairing/windbreak as in a Classic 18's deck
-and debating a 7" stripe instead of twelve.

Changed it a lot I think :D

BillG
05-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Beautiful Lenny. The Scarab II had a pad similar to yours and it worked pretty well. Great workmanship.
Bill G

Forrest
05-13-2003, 09:20 AM
Nice job Lenny. I'll need to check my piggy bank and then get in line for one if you ever decide to start production. Again, nice job, very nice.

EricG
05-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Beautiful work Len! When's shake down run? I may need to take a ferry ride to come see it run!!

Great work..

EG

SilverBack
12-29-2008, 04:32 AM
Lenny,

where is that boat now?? Did Ted get that boat?? I wasn't around back then. That looks like some great work!!!

Lenny
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Lenny,

where is that boat now?? Did Ted get that boat?? I wasn't around back then. That looks like some great work!!!

In my shop still, all but done cosmetically. Need to pull a mold off the "all but finished" deck that is on it so that I can make them at will in the future. Right now I am more interested in laying around the pool in the sun :D

SilverBack
12-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Lenny...I know that this is going to sound crazy but...how hard would it be to convert a 77 X-18 into a 2 seater?? I love the way the engine compartment is longer and the driver is further back on yours!! Will your deck and all that is required change out on a stock X-18?

I bet that I am going to catch all kinds of hell for asking that but I was just wondering????:popcorn:

Mr X
12-30-2008, 06:37 AM
Still patiently waiting......:shades:

Lenny
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Lenny...Will your deck and all that is required change out on a stock X-18?

Yes.

penbroke
12-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes.

...and on a regular 18 as well? Would be a shame to mod an X if any old 18 would do...

Frank

Lenny
12-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Three years ago pic http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19023&d=1141330579

Finishing the hatch right now.

BigGrizzly
12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Nice work, I didn't realize you were this far along. I love the hull cradle.

BUIZILLA
12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
hmmmmmmmm

replacement X18 deck.....

sounds like steady new business to me :beer:

gpapich
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
This should be a test as to the "new kindness" this board is going to offer. Be nice everyone, I have a real one as well. I will post a big how-to one day. Hull is blue-printed, REALLY, trailing edges at transom are razor sharp to release "water tension", it has a 9 1/2 wide" pad at rear, hull is all high tech Knytex and Isothalic resin throughout, ISO NPG gelcoat. Stripe is left off this one so I can "paint" a new design on (same as Jeff Moores in Seattle) and then I will make another mold off this one to reflect the new lines for future taping. Color is 2003 Ford Thunderbird "Imperial Yellow". I wanted it to look like the faded yellow boats from the 60's I see around.

Lay up is;
2-0.9 OZ mat for skin out
4 hours, slow cure @1 1/4% Luperox DDM 9 Catalyst, 65 degrees
Then,...
1-0.9oz mat
1-18 OZ roven
1- -45 +45 Knytex
1- 0-90 Knytex
1- -45 +45 Knytex

Resin is Owens Corning Isothalic (wonderful product and far more flexible than ANY GP resin system) # F701-ABK-25-BR-AOC-ISO. It's a slow to medium speed resin, about a 25 minute gel time (workability) at 65 degrees and 1 1/4%. The Knytex resembles Kevlar in strength but soaks out well and comes complete with a stictched on .08 oz veil on the back side. (eliminates the need for a 0.9 OZ mat between lay-ups. (You can NEVER put a roven to a roven). You need the veil for binding and resin soaking as well as for telegraphing of the heavy knit below. ALWAYS separate your heavy knits with a 1 OZ mat. The 0-90 Knytex doesn't lay to longitudinal curves very well. A bit of a hair puller...but does eventually lay.

Transom has this and 2 more Knytex.

Lay-up and matt/roven/ Knytex is at 70% glass, 30% resin plus or minus. This is "old Ironsides" but when done about 300 pounds lighter than a new Classic 18.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1803.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1804.jpg

The pad...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1806.jpg

What trailer bunks should look like in "my" opinion...
http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1805.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/lenny1808.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. Good to see the spirit of hot rodding hasn't been taken over by the spirit of restoration. Just in a different direction.

Kind of like the guys that are building replica P-51s instead of cutting up an original to go air racing or worse, blowing up Allison after Allison engine in unlimited racing until there are no more running examples left.

You go with the "better than original" concept. Great Job!