PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to board members

BERTRAM BOY
05-09-2003, 04:03 PM
An open letter to the board members.

While I don't post much, I do like to come here to "talk" to my friends, and occasionally share the experience of a Donzi event, a boat repair, or other technical subject. It is usually the first place I come to when I turn on my computer.

However, over time the board has changed a bit. New members find us and some "older" members don't post as much as they used to. I'm really hesitant to say "It was better, way back when", but I have noticed a severe decrease in camaraderie. People used to come here rather than go to "that other big boat board", I think, because of a higher quality enthusiast.

I'm got going to get specific, but there have been more than a few instances where disagreements have come about. That makes us all think a bit.

This is a place to discuss differences of thinking. However, in my opinion, it is NOT a place to demean, bash, or otherwise insult someone who does not agree with you. Please think before you type.

I know I'm going to be accused of having a thin skin, but I, like alot of other people on this board, work hard to support a relatively expensive hobby, and when I come here, I'd like it to be a place where, quite frankly NO ONE has to put up with any crap. Most of us do that all day long.

I wasn't the first one here, but members such as Madpoodle, Owen, Forrest, Jamesbon, CDMA, and yes, even Scott Pearson, went OUT OF THEIR WAY to make me and other newcomers always feel welcome.

Off Soapbox

BERTRAM BOY

ZF-Mac
05-09-2003, 04:12 PM
I fully agree, I find myself very hesitant to make any technical posts, I just don't want to hear all the crap. I end up sending private emails to people and everyone on the board can't benefit that way...

Just my opinion....

Crazy Horse
05-09-2003, 04:43 PM
Bertram Boy I respect you for posting this topic and feel that it's need for being discussed is way overdue. I remember the old days fondly too when major disagreements were greeted with a sense of humor and (fair) low key debate. Now we have wise ass insinuations and heated debates. Public flogging.

As one of the old timers here I not only post less often but take the time to visit here less often as well. I went from writing checks in support of the Registry and buying anything offered with Donzi.net upon it to buying nothing and I have not written a check in a long time. Things have changed. Good post Cliff.

mattyboy
05-09-2003, 04:50 PM
well said Cliff,
as a newer member , I have made some great friends, that have helped me and made me feel welcomed even though I'm not a wiz kid with mechanical stuff, or wrench talk, and I hope to continue to meet and make new friends here, and If I have ruffled feathers please realize I am usually making a comment tongue in cheek, sometimes in this medium it can seem harsher, so I appologize to any one I have insulted.

Matt

Dredgeking
05-09-2003, 05:06 PM
i come here more often than any other boating board because of there is a higher level of enthusist. this should say something. this board has enabled me to learn more than any other board. the members have been more help and sincere than any other board.

i stay out of the conflicts because they are not mine. i would hate to have the quality of the board decrease due to personal conflicts. other boards have experienced this and this is why you see me here more.

if there is anything i can to to strengthen this community, then please ask. i would enjoy giving back to something that has helped me.

thanks for bringing this up BB.

Dr. Dan
05-09-2003, 05:15 PM
:cool: BB.........Well said, I think everyone will agree....I really think that as the Donzinet Family grows...we forget that it is a dynamic forum and also a sensitive one that we all hold close to our heart and pocket book$$$ :rolleyes: . I actually think the discourse is good, but I don't think it has to be malicious or benevolent in intent. It's a discussion on our boats for *!#Sake...it is not Brain Surgery. So I think we all need to "Chill The "F" out to quote VanGogh Pearson! Liz and I have been privaledged to meet alot of you....and I gotta say, you are all like Family..."I Love Ya Man...." but even Family can get in your craw..sometimes. Let's just relax....grab some illicit substance and put the hammer down on the Donzi when you can...and remember....we all are trying to live our lives the best we can, many of us are not as skilled as others here, but we all share the adoration and dream...of the legends we all own here....it's a beautiful thing. :D We celebrate alot of things this year as a family...think about it for a minute...and we all have alot to be thankful for in our little Donzinet Family:
Randy and Jenn are getting married this August!
Geo and many others haven't figured out yet how to stop the family from growing!
Big Griz came through his operation...
Digger quit smoking...I think? Cigarettes at least!
Mike and Nick have Fresh Opportunities to start their own businesses...and with our support, I know they will be a success...no stopping those damn Miller Bro.s
Donzi finally decided to get back into Racing with a Fresh new Hull design in the 38ZR!

And I could continue.....but, all that was said above is true...we are growing...and as such...we will have growing pains. It's part of life...I think every now and then it is a good thing to do a Gut Check...and remember who the hell we are all talking to! And keep in mind....we don't always know who is really behind the name/avitar...and the end of the Computer Connection...technology is an awesome thing...but as fresh as all this is, we need to treat each other with common courtesy and respect....and know that we are indeed all Family....it's all Good! Thanks for bringing this up Cliff.... wink ..Doc

HP 600SC
05-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Thats why I was away for a while as well.......well said ZF-MAC!!
Ted M.

Ed Donnelly
05-09-2003, 05:46 PM
I have owned 2 boats since 1964. My first was a 16 donzi which I sold in 85, to purchase my Criterion.I went from a 260 with an Eaton outdrive to a 383 twin turbo 28#s of boost and a speedmaster lower unit. The Criterion was updated with a Gale Banks twin turbo, then on to a fuel injected, computerized state of the art,non running boat. I thought I knew everything about Donzi's and engine build ups. Well that all changed when I found the Donzi Registry. There are people here that have forgotten more than I will ever know.Ask a question and you would get several answers. Surprisingly all the solutions would work, just a different way to achieve the end result. Nowadays I am afraid to ask anything on this site because it can lead to a 20 reply bashing. I too prefer to pick brains via E-mail.The responses are fast and precise. Maybe if we all just respect others opinions, this board can get back to the fun site it was in the past..Ed

MOP
05-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Me being half of what went on think that from this point forward disputes should go to E-Mail if possible. What happened as was pointed out to me was I had no clue as to who to voice my concerns, a few said why did I apologize. I apologized because I stupidly did not leave the board and go the E-Mail route once I got involved and figured out who was who.

Scot HM should put a line at the top of the page to make it kind of a rule to go off the board with disputes.

The whole thing should go away and we should go forward and have some fun and give and take!

boldts
05-09-2003, 06:44 PM
BB,

Nicely said. Everyone before me has also brought great points to the thread. I'll be the first to admit that this site is visited by me everyday unless I don't have access to a computer. I owned a Donzi Classic for over 12 years before finding this site and finally later that same year, an opportunity to meet many of the members here.

How many boat companies are their today? The members of this family get together and hold more gatherings together than any other boat make. Poker Runs are great fun and often many more boats than are at the Donzi gatherings, again, this is not one make or even one designer.

I, like others have indicated, am not always the brightest light in the room. That's OK. I love to learn and from the members here, many times, I have been able to help others with their problems from the knowledge I've read here. I hang around race shops when-ever I can. I love the sound of an engine purring. It would be my ultimate job to work on a race team. I wish I could have been at the deck lifting party. Just for the experience. If we had not had the thread about the deck lifting, how many of us would have learned about the fuel tank that Geoo is using in his X-18? How many have changed the type of life jacket or trailer tires they are using because of threads on this site?

As a group, we can conquer any project! The thoughts of many far out-weigh the thoughts of one. How-ever, that doesn't mean that we should jump all over that one thought because we think differently. Let's all put our heads back together and help our fellow Donzi owner whether new or old. We own the best boats in the world. Take a Donzi to any launch ramp and you'll see what I mean. :)

Speed-Racer
05-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Very well said Bertram Boy, Dr. Dan and Boldts!

HyperDonzi
05-09-2003, 08:08 PM
I see where most of you are coming from, when I first joined here a little over a year and a half ago, I didnt know how important prop selection was, that an alpha wont hold up to everything, and so much more. I dont have a Donzi yet. One day, hopefully I will. Whenever I have a tough question (pulley thread comes to mind) I post here first because people here seem to keep a level head and tell me the truth, not some advertising hype. I want to thank all of you guys on here for helping anyone any way you can (even us with Baja's wink ). Special thanks to MOP, Rootsy, Grizz, CDMA, Poodle, Pearson, and Woodsy (Come back) for knowing everything and one day I will find a way to stump all of you on a question with motors. Harbormaster, thanks for keeping the site up, I have 20$ from that board update. Thanks Scott, Beth and Allison Boldt for taking me for a ride last summer (still havent gotten over that!!)

I know Im not the quietest poster on the board, if anything I say offends anyone, tell me and I will delete it and wont do the same thing again.

Happy Boating, Wear a lifejacket,
Tommy

Jamesbon
05-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Cliff,
Wow! Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Tony
05-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Well said by all, even though I think we are being a bit harsh on ourselves. I read almost every post, and visit almost daily, and rarely see anything demeaning or offensive. Even the recent spat was not all that bad in my mind. Heck, compared to the "other" site, we are SAINTLY!

Moody Blu'
05-09-2003, 10:36 PM
well F You, F you and F YOU :p

I dont know nothin about arguin wink

i think everyone is starting to bug out because boatin season is right around the corner and we will all be postin away soon... wink :cool:

MOP
05-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Here! Here!

Ok where the hell is Pearson? Come on man give it up we All Do want you back up here!

Yeah MOP stands for Mean Ole Phil My nick name.

Go Figure!

Cuda
05-09-2003, 10:46 PM
I visit this site several times a day, even though I'm not a Donzi owner. There is a ton of knowledge on this board that can be applied to most any performance boat.

I must have missed the thread that has caused this bruhaha, or else I read some of it and didn't get far enough into it where it became ugly.

There are some self appointed "God's of the Donzi" on here, and I have seen other non godlike Donzi owners get run through the mill for even suggesting something a god did not agree with, even if it was suggested out of ignorance and not as an afront to foresaid god. This is not directed at any one person, there are a few who would fit the description. I am not at all doubting their knowledge, it just that some things can be delivered in a way that is more palatable for others to swallow.

I have been around boats and wrenching my entire life (dad taught mechanics in the Navy), and I am very hesitant to get involved in any technical debates to avoid bringing the wrath of the experts down on me.

I have learned two things to be true about arguments.

1. The only way to win an argument is to avoid it.

2. The more you argue your point, the more sure the other guy is that he's right.

I'd like to stay and pontificate some more, but I have some boating to do in the morning. :)

Darrell
05-10-2003, 10:26 AM
First I understand the point Bertram Boy is making, however I'am one of the newer members that have so much respect for the long-time menbers on this board. I have had 4 boats in the last 11 years and I have learned more about boats in the 6mo's since I have been a board member. Where can you find a guy building his own boat from scratch (Lenny) a guy who turned a 60mph boat into a rocket on the water (GEOO) and a person who cracks me up with her quick wit and charm (Toonafish). I like the feeling of being part of a group and it's sad to see people who I know love the board leave over really small things. If you want to have heated debates go to one of those boards about politics.

Thanks to all that have
been so helpful to me.

Darrell

harbormaster
05-11-2003, 04:14 PM
If a post OR deleted post maddens you to the point to where you will never return to this site, then you probably were never REALLY one of the family.

What do you do when someone you work with pisses you off? Quit your job?

We must all keep in mind that the genre of the written word can be taken in an incorrect light more so than the spoken word. That said...

We must all handle each other with kid gloves when we post.

Here is an Example...
MOP(Phil) is very savy when it comes to boats. Pearson is very informed as well.

They are boat great knowledge resources and assets to us all.

They have a difference in opinion on fuel tank installation. So what?

After someone spends all weekend installing a fuel tank in someone elses boat IT IS NOT the time for to tell them they did it incorrectly.

Tact! Tact!

If someone misunderstands what you meant to say, then pick up the DAMN phone call them! Do not try to fix it with email! You can always find the number.

We are past that.