PDA

View Full Version : Good years for 16' Donzi??

bjh517
05-09-2003, 01:17 PM
I am interested in a purchasing a used 16' Donzi. I know the company has been sold several times over the years and their past product line-up shows it.

Are there any manufacturing years I should stay away from??

Any info would help,

Thanks

Dredgeking
05-09-2003, 02:44 PM
my '76 is very well built.

Rootsy
05-09-2003, 08:17 PM
i do believe that the 16 hull is the same as the original ones from 64-65. There are now 2 seating configs, the wrap around which is the traditional layout and still available or the 2+2 seating (much like the 18 and 22) which is exclusive to the early/mid 90's and newer boats. Therefore we are left with power options and materials...

my 97 2+2 has 1 stress crack and i run her pretty hard. i don't think you could go wrong with any of the years but as with older hulls you have to look more at structural stability, not so much from aging but from neglect. soft decks and floors, stringers and hulls...

early 16's came with eaton setups, next the volvo setups for years and years, OMC owned donzi marine in the early 90's so those are OMC powered and lastly to current AMH which uses Merc as standard...

Good luck in your search... if you find somethign you are interested in, ask away here and you'll get sound quality information from a lot of knowledgable folks...

anyone else have anythign to add which i LIKELY missed? :)

Tony
05-09-2003, 09:53 PM
If looking at an older Donzi check out the fuel tank carefully, for if it is suspect than the only way to replace it is to pull the deck off. If you have to do this, then please find out from someone else what is the best way to replace a fuel tank...because whatever you do, DO NOT ASK THAT QUESTION HERE!

(That's kind of an inside joke...welcome to the board and good luck with your search. Post pictures of anything you are looking at, they always seems to elicit lots of critique, comments, and opinions.)

BERTRAM BOY
05-09-2003, 09:58 PM
This should help.
BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D OWEN 16 info (http://www.donzi.net/dlist/skisporter/sh.htm)

MOP
05-10-2003, 01:29 AM
I have a 91 which was an OMC boat, can't say I see anything done poorly. I have some minor gel cracks, I love the drive and engine combo 302 with the Cobra. Its not fast high 50's but just does everything so well. The prior owner skied it, I run in the bays and ocean to get to the ocean I go through Shinnecock Canal a place that really strikes fear into alot of boaters with it locks and whirl pools it does it great. The 16 to me no matter what year, is the very best 16 footer ever designed.

mattyboy
05-10-2003, 08:43 AM
BJH,
welcome to the boards, I like Tony have an earlier 16 1967,You can find good boats in all years and also find abused boats as well.
Find the hull number if you can and post it here,there are alot of knockoffs out there,
If you have any questions this is the place to get them answered,
one word on seating, the wrap around setup is great for lounging around, and cruising, but if your gonna tare it up with passengers the 2+2 will be easier on the passenger riding shotgun.
good luck in your search

Matt

CrackerJack
05-10-2003, 01:45 PM
bjh,
I wanted a turn key 16' and purchased a 1996 two years ago. Haved used it quite alot over the last two plus years and have had no problems. Have run it pretty hard compared to past boats I owned.
Depending on your knowledge, ability and time there is so much knowledge here I believe you could build one from scratch. See Lenny's new project as a great example of the people on the board and the knowledge they are willing to share.