PDA

View Full Version : Installed 502 oil cooler on my 454 MAG EFI

Donzi22zx
05-09-2003, 08:59 AM
My old oil cooler was cloged with sand and salt so I decided to replace it with a new one, found out the 502 MAG EFI uses a larger oil cooler, a 454 has a 10 inch cooler and a 502 has a 13 inch cooler. It would have been cheaper to just clean the old one , but why do that when you can get a better one. Hopes this helps someone.

RedDog
05-09-2003, 12:16 PM
This brings questions to mind I have pondered for a while -

1) Seems I noticed that most boats don't have an oil temperature gauge - or am I wrong? if that is true, why don't they?
2) What should the upper limit on oil temperature be?
3) Are those people without gauges over heating there oil on WOT runs and just not knowing it?
4) My OMC cooler is a combo oil/power steering cooler. Is cooling for the power steering necessary or could I replace my unit with a larger oil cooler?

Thanks

MOP
05-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Even though I have worked on this stuff along time I to was curious why they cooled the steering. To me it seems as if they would work harder in automotive app's in a hotter compartment. There must be a plausible reason, I hope someone chimes in with it. If you do a search on oil there is a ton of very good info posted by guys like Griz that will get you straight.

Rodger
05-10-2003, 09:22 AM
On a boat, the power steering pump is worked in manner which is almost opposite that of an automotive situation. In automotive use, the pump is woked hard at slow and and non-moving speeds but very little at higher speeds. The torque feedback from the rotation of the prop is what loads the steering pump in a boat. The faster you go the more torque created by your prop that the steering pump has to compensate for. So when your cruising in the boat the pump is worked continuously, generating heat. Cruising on the highway in a car puts almost no load on the pump.