PDA

View Full Version : Where do you suppose they put the horn?

Brad Lyon
09-10-2001, 08:17 PM
In my 1993 Classic 18 I have a toggle on the dash. Below it are the letters “HORN”. I get 12VDC all of the time on one side of the switch, and 12VDC on the other side of the switch when I depress the switch. The problem is I do not hear any sound when I depress the switch and I can not find anything that even remotely resembles a horn on the boat. Anyone have any guess as to where the factory might have put the darn thing? There is a orange wire that goes into a large wire loom which goes to the stern by way of the starboard gunnel. After that I can not find where the wire is connected to or exits the wire loom. Could the horn be between the fiberglass interior panel and the starboard side of the hull?

Perplexed,

Brad

blackhawk
09-10-2001, 08:46 PM
I bought my boat used and could not find my horn either. It is just NOT there. I finally gave up and bought a new one.

Brad Lyon
09-10-2001, 09:04 PM
Doesn't it have to be there by law? Where could the cotton picken thing be. I was twisted up like a pretzel under the dash for a half of an hour trying to find it. I do not have a vent hole on the starboard bow where the put them now as well.

Brad

RickR
09-10-2001, 09:10 PM
You probably do not have a horn. Neither my 90 or 95 had one.
Trace the wire on the switched side.

A horn is not required by law but a sounding device is. I've got a whistle.

BTW I used the horn switch for accessories.

DonCig
09-15-2003, 10:26 PM
I am needing a replacement horn for my 1997 Classic 18. It is mounted up in the very front of the hull below the rub rail. It has a stainless steel exterior cover. I ordered a replacement from Donzi, but it is to small and the wrong size. The bolt spacing on my old horn is 4.5", the new replacement horn that came from Donzi is a 4" bolt pattern. Anybody have a spare horn or a name and a part number?

Thanks.

Silver Streak
09-15-2003, 11:29 PM
My '88 18' came complete with horn switch but sans horn. I installed one under the forward starboard vent. Works well.

Rick

Indyblackhawk
09-17-2003, 09:13 PM
I was a little concerned when I could not find the horn on our blackhawk. It doesn't have a horn button either. I called Donzi and they immediately transfered me to the engineering section. The explanation was complicated?? The best that I could get out of the conversation was that it has something to do with the speed of sound and that there is no point at honking at boats behind you??

Hope this helps!

Andy

Rootsy
09-17-2003, 09:19 PM
damn i knew the blackhawks were fast... but not THAT fast eek!

Walt. H.
09-19-2003, 01:31 AM
Honking at boats behind ya?

eek! Wowwww! eek! :OK? I'll buy that, :rolleyes: i'm also looking for a famous bridge to purchase! Like the one they named Rootsy's home town after. :D

MLerner
09-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Hey Brad,

'93 Classic, one serial # apart -- same deal with me: nice switch, no horn.

PS You ever get my e-mail awhile back?

Michael

DonCig
09-21-2003, 03:45 PM
I bribed my next door neighbors kid to crawl up into the from of my Donzi, we tied a rope to his anlkes "just in case", he came out with the original horn in my 1997 Classic. It is marked as a signaltone A-23 bracket and a AM80 FIAM E3 35717 black plastic and metal horn. I can reuse the mounting bracket, so all I am now looking for is the AM80 FIAM e3 35717 horn. Does anybody have one gathering dust?

Don

Brad Lyon
09-21-2003, 06:20 PM
Michael, I got your email and replied to it the very same day. Didn't you get my response? The only question that I did not answer that I can remember is what prop size I am running. Which by the way is a 14-1/4 X 21.

Brad

DonCig
09-22-2003, 09:29 PM
The FIAMM AM 80 horn is available at your local CarQuest store. They sell it as their own CarQuest brand, but it is marked as a FIAMM AM 80
Price around $15.00/$20.00

Don

farmer tx
09-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Don, I used an automotive horn and one good wake it was toast. You might check West Marine. I have seen what looked like a compatable horn on their web site.

Mark